Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-05, 12:26am
Lampworkaholic!

I love Lime Sweet. It strikes to the prettiest rosy rust. Love Arancio orange. Love Da Vinci 2. Love all the greens and ochers, green tapanade, avocado marble, lichen, all the flower pinks, EDP, Anise white, Honey Crunch. Didn't get any fish pink or fish pond, but I do like the Cim 96 Koi, lol. I can't think of a color I don't like. I've decided that there is a frit that makes every color look good and a color that makes every frit look good, you just have to find that combo. For example, I originally didn't like the alabaster pinks because they just looked washed out - until I rolled them in gold pink or gold ruby frit and wow, they look awesome. There must be a frit that would make fish pink pop. I did spend $2 on 2 rods of Superman but haven't tried it yet. If nothing else works, I may try cutting it into murini. I'll keep trying to think of a color I can't work with. Shockiness doesn't bother me, I just work slower. Oh, I know, Raku when it doesn't bloom, now that is not nice
Old 2008-10-05, 1:41am
Oh No You Didn't!

Just out of curiosity, what color is Arancio Perfecto supposed to be?
I think it's ugly too, or at least what I get from it is.

HOW did a frog color get out there and I not know it??? I suppose it's all gone now?
You can send me any and all pinks, opaque or transparent, I don't care how fugly they are because I don't use it for making "pink" beads anyhow.

Let's see, what colors don't I like... ummm..... Arancio Perfecto is all I can think of at the moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is............. Deb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-10-05, 1:49am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
I honey CRUNCH too! (there's a reason they put CRUNCH in the name )
It's my favorite of that whole group of odds that came out then. It's shockier than hell, but it's worth it.

I like the banana yellow from that group too. And the marble.
Old 2008-10-05, 6:41am
Satake Woman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
btw I think we should all send our fish pink to Kimberley. That will teach her to never say she doesn't want free ugly stuff lol
Hey hey, don't forget me! I make a great frit with intense black, fish pink, and anise white. Cover your base it it and it makes a great background for bright floral beads.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2008-10-05, 7:08am
burnin' glass just becuz

i just dont like...

- most of the opaque purples (except edp). purple should never look greyish imo
- most of the opaque pinks - to me they seem washed out, insipid colours. i would pay good money for an opaque bright fuschia, truly hot pink - no purple/grey/pastel tinges pls - glass
- vetro odd banana yellow: the paddle online looked like a soft pale creamy yellow but everytime i use it, it strikes to egg yolk. yuck.
- most of the boutique silver glasses - i have most of them but just don't get why i should be excited and pay top dollar for more and more variations of highly finicky, swirly blue-ish glass? so far, i only really like gaia...
-moretti ivory alabaster - i bought it hoping for a nice translucent ivory. it was ugly when i melted it, then i thought oh maybe it strikes? so heated it some more, burnt it a bit by accident and then ended up with what can only be referred to as my best "snot" bead. not just ugly but FUGLY!!

btw, i've heard so much hatred towards fishpink, i'm now curious and want to try it...lol. anyone wanna trade for a couple rods of my ugly banana yellow?

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland

Last edited by ewdb; 2008-10-05 at 8:52am.
Old 2008-10-05, 7:32am

I really, really, really hate all of the Moretti yellows, except the ochre, which I love. That's probably because ochre is a yellow brown, whilst all the others are nasty acid, sharp colours !!
Did I tell you I hated all the moretti yellows
Old 2008-10-05, 7:41am
weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsongstudio View Post
In my case, if it's applied in a thin layer, and worked long and cool with lots of in and out of the flame, it produces a truly transparent bright/light red. It takes forever to get there, though. It's supposed to be a truly transparent (perfect) bright orange - hence, the Arancio Perfecto if I'm not mistaken - but it's never turned orange for me. If it isn't worked long enough, it can turn a sick watery rust color, or just vaguely off-clear. I suspect it can also depend on your flame chemistry, and possibly, the batch, if there is more than one. Too unpredictable, even for me - I only use it occasionally.

I don't care for any of the neutral colors like ivory, sage, avocado... and that one batch of vetro odds with the Moss Agate, and the transparent topaz with the opaque blue core. What is up with that? I didn't bother buying any of those. I could tell from the pictures that I wanted nothing to do with them.

Sarah
Old 2008-10-05, 7:45am
Lampworkaholic!

Vetrofond Arancio Perfecto Transparent Odd (Perfect Orange). Maybe it depends on the lot? Mine comes out a beautiful bright true orange (I would not describe it as transparent) and it looks killer with black, white and SIS. It's a great October color.

If you want a transparent true orange I highly recommend CiM Clockwork.

I do agree about mos of the "boutique silver glasses." I can't get much of a reaction so far and they are right pricey for blue-green glass with no "silvery" tone (no matter how I reduce or strike, depending on the glass). But then, I have only tried a few. I do like DaVinci 2, but not enough to buy more at that $$.
Old 2008-10-05, 7:57am

I love any color that makes a nice round bead....and hate all colors that don't!!!

granny
Old 2008-10-05, 8:45am

Vetro odd Frog Pond and Wasabi. In fact, any mustardy pukey yellow/greens. CiM Bordello - sorry, but I just can't get it to behave!
Old 2008-10-05, 9:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivELampworK View Post
OMG nikki how do you hate honey crunch!! i loooove that stuff. i love it, really.
Quote:
I honey CRUNCH too! (there's a reason they put CRUNCH in the name )
Both...either of you... Explain to me why it's different enough from ivory to be worth it breaking off in 1" bits the entire way down the rod. It's not the color that bothers me as much as the behavior...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
I really dislike the cobalt and cobalt-like bright and dark blues. Really hate them both in opaque and transparent form. I am so glad for colours like Lauscha Steel Blue, Vetrofond Blue Slate, Vetrofod Pajama Blue and Leaky Pen so that I can still have blue in my palate.
Oooh, I like the cobalt and lapis colors, they make me happy... I haven't tried much in the way of CIM (every time I try Gelly's Sty, it devits or does something else weird so I get disgusted) but all the Lauscha/Vetro colors you listed are nice, too.

Can I just add alabastros and opalinos as a whole group I can do without?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly
If you do, I will make "lovely" Fish Gut Pink Beads and send them to you. They will haunt your dreams!!!
Somehow, the thought of you sending beads out probably isn't as terrifying as you think... I'd prepare for an onslaught of packages coming your way.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon

Last edited by NLC Beads; 2008-10-05 at 9:27am.
Old 2008-10-05, 9:31am
aka Spawn Of Flame

I hate Effetre striking yellow. It looks like neon snot.

--
--
--

Old 2008-10-05, 9:35am
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemarie23 View Post
I hate Effetre striking yellow. It looks like neon snot.
LOL. I have to admit, I don't like yellows either, unless they tend more to brown, green or orange than just being boring, sharp nasty yellow.

For instance, I really like the Uranium Yellow transparent and colours like Butter Yellow and Uranium Yellow Opaque and the ochres, but I despise the bright acid yellow and the yellow transparents. I don't think I'd like pineapple sparkle either, since it's so unabashedly and disgustingly yellow. I do however like Tangerine and Red Carrot sparkles.

All of my likes and dislikes go out the window when I make rainbow cane - what a great way to use up colours you normally hate. Everything looks nice in a rainbow.

So I guess in addition to being a bright blue hater, I am also a bright yellow hater. I put some yellow in a bead I made yesterday and I am fully prepared to despise it without even knowing how it turned out.

-
-
Old 2008-10-05, 9:50am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Ack!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do, I will make "lovely" Fish Gut Pink Beads and send them to you. They will haunt your dreams!!!

Just slap a couple of seahorses on them and even stinkin fish pink will look pretty, I mean.... the seahorse will take over the uglyness and turn it into fab!

Old 2008-10-05, 9:54am

How about Driftwood? I've tried to like it, just don't like it........

Old 2008-10-05, 9:59am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Deb-
this is what I get from Arancio Perfecto with a coral base....:

nagi

Old 2008-10-05, 10:32am

That Arancio was a waste for me. But the one I hate was a vet aqua that had wisps of something in it Mike Frantz referred to as pond scum. Now I have all this stuff sitting here and don't want to use it.
Old 2008-10-05, 10:40am
Scientific Glass Girl

Quote:

HOW did a frog color get out there and I not know it??? I suppose it's all gone now?
You can send me any and all pinks, opaque or transparent, I don't care how fugly they are because I don't use it for making "pink" beads anyhow.

Let's see, what colors don't I like... ummm..... Arancio Perfecto is all I can think of at the moment.
its supposed to be perfect orange! doesn't the name give it away? i also hate that stuff..and have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
It's my favorite of that whole group of odds that came out then. It's shockier than hell, but it's worth it.

I like the banana yellow from that group too. And the marble.
i think so too, i preheat honey crunch in my kiln as i use it. i loove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
Both...either of you... Explain to me why it's different enough from ivory to be worth it breaking off in 1" bits the entire way down the rod. It's not the color that bothers me as much as the behavior...
i preheat it..i love it.

mmmmm...

if anyone hates honey crunch enough, i'll buy it off you. haha

Old 2008-10-05, 10:46am
Gimme that silver glass!

Oh, I LOVE orange! If anyone wants to trade their Aranco Perfecto for beadies or other glass, think about me!

I hate the vetro marbled avocado (I think it was that one, the pale version?). It is so shocky, it just pops of and falls on my bench. Horrible!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-10-05, 10:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
That Arancio was a waste for me. But the one I hate was a vet aqua that had wisps of something in it Mike Frantz referred to as pond scum. Now I have all this stuff sitting here and don't want to use it.
That's not streaky sapphire, is it? I adore that color...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivELampworK View Post
i think so too, i preheat honey crunch in my kiln as i use it. i loove it.

mmmmm...

if anyone hates honey crunch enough, i'll buy it off you. haha
Lovely beads, but they still look like ivory to me...

Fish pink in rod form and melted into an alien...

~:
~:

~:

Old 2008-10-05, 10:58am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

lol the fish pink alien is too funny!

Denise those are stunning!

Old 2008-10-05, 11:03am

I was waiting for that alien to show up
(I still think you should make a fish pink alien fish)

The honey crunch does the swirly ivory thing without having to "cook the snot out of it" to get the swirly effect...more swirl, less effort & always great marble effect.

Oh & add me to the Davinci2 lovers too...(I really like luna2 too...too bad it took me a rod & a half of the 2 rods I had to figure out how it worked best )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-10-05, 11:05am

Quote:
I was waiting for that alien to show up
(I still think you should make a fish pink alien fish)
I sent the rest of it away... (Not to Kimberly...)

Quote:
The honey crunch does the swirly ivory thing without having to "cook the snot out of it" to get the swirly effect...more swirl, less effort & always great marble effect.
Ok, a reason, I can work with that. I'll give it another shot.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2008-10-05, 11:28am
Mary Lockwood

Is the honey crunch reactive as ivory is, or no?

I like the pale opal yellow to use as a creamy ivory when I don't want it to react...but you lose the marbling. If honey crunch isn't as reactive, but you still get the marbling...that would be a good reason to put up with the shockiness.

I've never tried the honey crunch, just thinking out loud.
~~Mary

Old 2008-10-05, 12:45pm
Scientific Glass Girl

yeah luna thats exactly it. since it has the amber transparent and ivory in the rod form it is an easier swirly pretty glass. i like!

Old 2008-10-05, 1:58pm
Now in living color

Wow, so many of these colors came out while I was on hiatus (5 yrs) I don't recognize any of the names. I've got to put opaque greens on the list of glass I hate. Pretty in the rod, but all they do is bleed in the bead. That goes for Effetre and Lauscha and Czech. My queendom for a non-bleeding green!

Jinx

Old 2008-10-05, 2:45pm
Scientific Glass Girl

ok maybe i shouldn't ask. kimberly why do you hate fish pink?

Old 2008-10-05, 3:07pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
Deb-
this is what I get from Arancio Perfecto with a coral base....:
Oh, those are gorgeous Nagi. Maybe I'll try it again. I've got lots of coral I never use.

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-10-05, 3:12pm
Scientific Glass Girl

LOL kimberly. thats a good enough answer.

Old 2008-10-05, 3:28pm

I guess I missed fish pink too!! But I just hate CIM khaki (sp?). It is just blahh. yuk!!!