LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-12-27, 8:55pm

Default what size do you cut tubing

I'm not loving my Jim Moore tool. I actually split the tube. I cut the tubing about 3mm each side. Is that too much? What size is everyone cutting the tubing for riveting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-12-27, 9:04pm
Dichro Addict

I add 1/16" for each side in addition to the width of the bead. That's about 3mm total extra if I checked my calipers correctly. If you are adding 3mm for each side, then yes, I think that's too much.

Old 2007-12-27, 11:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
I'm not loving my Jim Moore tool. I actually split the tube. I cut the tubing about 3mm each side. Is that too much? What size is everyone cutting the tubing for riveting?
Jackie that is way too much! Like Lenora said you only need a 1/16" on each side...... 3mm is way too much and will definitely split the tubing! Cut your tube, put it in the press, flare the top, put the bead through the tube, now put the unflared tube up and slowly flare that side and then flip and do it again, flip again....... do it slowly till you get the hang of it!

Andrea

Old 2007-12-28, 5:34pm

You can go up to 3mm on each side with the Retro liner, IF you are using the LARGE diameter tubing and large die sets. These larger tubes are a little thicker and have to be annealed first, but they flare well with the larger, thicker tubes. ~Jenny
Old 2007-12-29, 5:28pm

Yeah, so I just placed a question on what to get and about 6 seconds later I came across this thread. Ok, yes I am so getting one. Thanks for helping me soend some of that money I made this Christmas!!!. Looks like it won't be lasting long!!!
Amy

Old 2007-12-29, 7:48pm

How do you polish the rivet once you have it set? I have a Foredom but what do i need to put a mirror shine on the rivet?

Old 2007-12-30, 5:03am

Does anyone know where i can find copper tubing for lining beads? Thanks.

Old 2007-12-30, 8:58am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Quote:
How do you polish the rivet once you have it set? I have a Foredom but what do i need to put a mirror shine on the rivet?
You can tumble your beads with some stainless shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleenMB View Post
Does anyone know where i can find copper tubing for lining beads? Thanks.
I got mine at the local Lowe's store. You can find it over in the plumbing supply section. It works great.

Vivian

-

Old 2007-12-30, 2:11pm

We don't have Lowe's ... just Home Depot and I checked. Couldn't find any that I thought would be small enough. What size is the tubing you used? Gorgeous beads, btw.

Old 2007-12-30, 2:15pm
Broken

I found 1/4 inch copper tubing at home depot. But it is thicker walled than the sterling you have to be a bit more carefull flaring it out. I have alot of anyone wants some, I can cut it with my handy dandy chop saw. I'd love some 1/8 inch copper tubing if anyone wants to trade?

Old 2007-12-30, 7:14pm

Thanks Darleen, the holes are 1/4" & I took one with me to Lowe's so I would get the right size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleenMB View Post
We don't have Lowe's ... just Home Depot and I checked. Couldn't find any that I thought would be small enough. What size is the tubing you used? Gorgeous beads, btw.

Vivian

-

Old 2007-12-31, 4:35pm

i have read through the thread and want to get one of these tools..does the $300 tool on retro glass do more than jim moore's, if not what's the difference..thanks

Old 2007-12-31, 5:19pm

Renee, I can't tell you about the retro tool because I have the Jim Moore tool. I will say that I love the Jim Moore tool & have never cracked a bead with it. If you're going to core large hole beads, you'll need the larger dye & the plastic dyes.

Vivian

-

Old 2008-01-01, 5:24am

has anybody used the retro tool?? i'm wondering why the cost difference, does the retro tool do something else??

Old 2008-01-01, 10:56am

I have some tubes of sterling that work great. Others are very hard and I struggle to flare. how is the best way to anneal the silver to soften it before I do the flare??I appreciate all the help in this thread. Especially thanks to Andrea G who seems to have worked out the techniques to share with all of us!!!!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2008-01-02, 10:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Well, I used Jim Moore's tool for the first time today, with direction by Andrea. I used some practice beads (just in case). I was able to line all three beads, 1/4 inch holes, including polishing on a Foredom, in less than 10 minutes. Not a single chip or crack. I will post some photos later. WELL worth the price.
Kim,
Did you use a 1/4 mandrel and .250OD .218ID (same size as 1/4) to line those beads? Does anyone know if that fits a troll bead or Pandora bead?

steph
Old 2008-01-02, 12:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
Here are some quick pics of what I did in class.

Lined and capped, the bullseye one on the top left is actually a ring! Jim is making a special piece so I can use the press for rings!

This one is so nice it's going on ebay!

When you make the pmc bead caps, how do you form them to your bead?

I am new to pmc, need to know!!!! HELP

STEPH
Old 2008-01-02, 12:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
I have some tubes of sterling that work great. Others are very hard and I struggle to flare. how is the best way to anneal the silver to soften it before I do the flare??I appreciate all the help in this thread. Especially thanks to Andrea G who seems to have worked out the techniques to share with all of us!!!!
To anneal the silver, heat it carefully in your torch flame, holding it with a tool. Don't squeeze too hard or you can distort it; don't let it get too hot or it will also distort. You want a deep cherry red, then quickly quench it in water. Annealing metal is the reverse of annealing glass -- you want to cool it fast to soften it, rather than cooling it slow (like when you want to strengthen glass.)
I have the Retro tool, and love it. It's easy to use and he guarantees that you won't break your beads if you keep the tension right.
Old 2008-01-02, 2:54pm

Thanks for the info. I should expect firescale afterward? What do I soak the tube in to remove the firescale?

Old 2008-01-03, 4:45am

totally newbie when it comes to lining beads and capping them..so this may be a dumb question but do you glue the bead cap onto the bead?? they are gorgeous..

Old 2008-01-03, 6:10am

Quote:
I just ordered the press and i emailed Jim. He said only leave 1/16th on each side or you might split. he said if you do, you have too much.

steph
Old 2008-01-03, 6:49am

You have to use a "pickling solution" to remove the firescale. I use full strength lemon juice concentrate and it works fine. If you go out and read what's posted on the internet about pickling solutions you'll find some pretty exotic ones out there ranging from swimming pool acidifiers on. Silver is unique in softening if you heat to cherry then quench quickly. Most metals would become brittle if you did that, but not silver. If you let the silver cool slowly after you heat it, it becomes brittle.
Old 2008-01-03, 10:10am

Heather, did you get all of your tubing the same place, i am just asking because i am new at this. is it that some places it is softer than others? or does it just depend?

steph
Old 2008-01-04, 6:24pm

I purchased a few tubes from the same place. (Rio) They all seem to be different hardnesses. One 1/4 tube is soft enough to core beads with. The other two tubes do not work a bit.....

I plan to try heating the silver and then quickly into water...
Thanks for the info...!!!!!

Old 2008-01-04, 8:53pm

Crud, I was hoping to avoid annealing. If you heat it in the kiln and then quench, could you still get the same softening effect? without firescale?
Old 2008-01-05, 12:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
Crud, I was hoping to avoid annealing. If you heat it in the kiln and then quench, could you still get the same softening effect? without firescale?
The only size tubing that I have annealed is the 1/2". And to be honest I have only done it a couple times........ really haven't had the need to do it with Jim's press.......

Old 2008-01-05, 6:06am
OY and Psyche Junkie

Thanks for all the info everyone! I love Jim's press! Here are a couple of glass beads I riveted and I made a metal bead too. I'm waiting for my tubing order to arrive so I can play more. I also ordered the medium size die from Jim. I only have the large and small die.

Cheers
Kathy
Attached Images

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2008-01-05, 7:02am

ok, i feel pretty stupid right now. i tried to make a bead on the 1/4 hollow mandrel. How do you do this without burning your fingers due to the heat traveling down the mandrel because it is hollow? i tried at the top of the middle but i guess at the tippy top? i was worried about this before i started but i thought, everyone else is using these mandrels like the 3/16/ 5/32 etc and i just need some advice.

steph
Old 2008-01-05, 7:15am

Yep, you need to work at the top, and make sure that you let your bead release dry overnight so that there's no moisture inside the tube. The steam from that burns too.

Thank-you Andrea, I thought I remembered you saying you didn't have to anneal your silver with this press.
Old 2008-01-05, 9:03am

Hey Kathy!
You did a great job! Way to go woman!!!!!!

Andrea