Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-04-21, 2:56pm

Question Torching while Pregnant?

My husband and I are thinking of starting our family in the next few months. I was just wondering if people still torched while they were pregnant? Assuming of course you had proper ventilation. Or perhaps this is a risk better not taken.
Caroline
Old 2009-04-21, 3:02pm

I did, but restricted myself to not for long and not often.

I couldn't find anything about the risk factors so decided that I would torch for only 4 hours a week max.

Now I'm lucky to get 4 hours a month!
Old 2009-04-21, 10:00pm

You might try contacting Amy at Zoozii's. Been a while, but I remember some posts from her where she expressed similar concerns, and I think did some personal research. I don't recall if she stopped torching during her pregancy or not. She seems to be a very nice person and may be very happy to share her experiences with you.

There are other fantastic folks on this forum, as well, who may have similar experiences. I hope they respond, also

Linda
Old 2009-04-22, 5:44am

Also do a search here on LE and the GLDG. I believe that both forums have had well-discussed topics on torchworking while pregnant.

My suggestions: work smart, no more than 2-3 hours, and shorten it up the further you get into the pregnancy. There will be issues with posture, and at some point, you may not be able to get close enough to the bench to work safely.

Be sure that your ventilation is up to snuff, don't worry about carbon monoxide, my personal belief is that CO is not a factor, but things like NOx and other combustion by-products are. Also be sure you wear an N-100 or P-100 dust mask if you are working with frit. I strongly suggest that you don't fume at all (if you do right now).

And congrats on your impending family!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

: LE2009
Old 2009-04-22, 6:21am
Tweedle Dumb

i did not do torch work at all during my pregnancies, at all, and i swear that is what made me crazycause i wanted to soooo bad. LOL. but i was too paranoid, i just would not have been able to forgive myself if something had gone wrong, all because i needed to make beads..... just my personal experience... i'm sure there are people that have worked and have had perfectly normal babies. talk to your doctor. s/he will be able to tell you with a bit more wisdom.

and AVC-ed makes a good point, you may not be comfortable further into your pregnancy, torching may not even be on your to-do list. my belly would surely have kept me too far away from the torch... never even thought about that.
Old 2009-04-22, 6:25am
Mary Lockwood

When I first ordered my lampworking torch and other supplies, I found out a few weeks later that I was pregnant. Not knowing much about it, and not knowing how to find out what I needed to know- I packed it all in and didn't torch until after the baby was born.

That was 6 years ago. Now, after becoming more familiar with the process I would not stop for a pregnancy. I would however take precautions:

I wouldn't work with silver in the flame or fuming.
I would make sure my ventilation was supreme.
I would torch for shorter durations of time, but that is mainly for comfort purposes.
I would be sure to wear a properly classified mask- but you should be doing that even when you aren't pregnant.

I would quit working when my pregnancy was far enough along that I couldn't move quickly to avoid being burnt or put out a fire or if any part of my 'condition' kept me from working safely.

~~Mary

Old 2009-04-22, 7:03am
Did someone say SALE?

I would wear a respirator all the time, even if your ventilation is really great. And limit your torching time. Better to be safe with such a precious little baby to protect! Congrats in advance on starting the fam.
Old 2009-04-22, 7:03am
Gentleman of Leisure

I would also suggest consulting with your doctor...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-04-22, 7:39am

Try calling Mother Risk at Toronto Sick Children's Hospital (it's free, and they are consultants for professionals and mothers):

http://www.motherisk.org/women/index.jsp

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2009-04-22, 8:01am
Wahwahbabypants

I will give a second shout out for MotherRisk. They are a leading internationally recognized expert on pregnancy research/health. You don't have to be Canadian to call. Get some info from them then discuss it with your OB.

I fall into the paranoid pregnant camp...when I was pregnant I cut out all caffine, didn't get my hair highlighted, didn't garden etc.

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-04-23, 10:46am

I torched during my pregnancy after I got over being paranoid. I had plenty of fresh air, excellent ventilation, I never torched for more than 2 hours, did not use fine frit, powders or fume. I also wore a respirator. I doubt your doctor is going to know enough about lampworking and the dangers involved to say anything but no, just to be on the safe side.

Old 2009-04-24, 8:17am
Mr Brutus RIP

I torched for a short while, my daughter is 7 months now. I don't fume and didn't use any frits but since she was my 5th and I'm only 4' 11" it took a very short time before I was quite large and couldn't reach the bench nevermind torch LOL
Sounds like wonderful advice here and of course check with your dr. Best to you with your soon to be new additions!!
Sue

Old 2009-04-25, 11:58pm

Thanks for all the kind responses. I don't fume, but I do use silver glass. Since this is just a hobby I usually only have a few hours to at a time to spend torching. I will check into the resourses Janice mentioned.
Thanks again
Caroline
Old 2009-05-31, 8:01pm
In search of her path....

This is good info....

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-11-13, 6:32pm

Good thread... I had the same question when trying to decide to take a boro class or not. I ended up waiting till after the baby was born to take the class, just to be on the safe side. I've hear that as long as you have good ventilation and avoid powders etc. it's alright. Another question... I read somewhere that wearing a respirator isn't the best idea during pregnancy... has anyone else heard anything similar?
Old 2009-11-13, 6:55pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

I stopped as soon as I found out that I'm pregnant.
I'm addicted to silver glass plus use silver foil or silver wire quite often. And I knew it would be very very hard for me to put the silver colors away and play with other glass instead.
My ventilation at that time wasn't the best because I've only started to set up my studio properly.

I made the "better safe than sorry" decision after reading up on it as much as possible (I second what was said before, try to find Amy's notes on torching during pregnancy) and discussing with my husband. I'm sure I was over-cautious ... but being a high risk pregnancy in any way, I didn't want to take on any additional risks.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-11-13, 10:15pm

Yep, Pregnant now and i haven't torched since we found out. I don't have a good ventilation system so I figured better safe than sorry. Still wondering how difficult it will be to find time to torch with an infant! We shall see how it goes. Thanks for all the info.
Caroline
Old 2010-01-09, 4:09am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

I only torched maybe about 4 times for about an hour each time. the poisons info line and my GP didn't know about the risks so I just torched a few times in early pregnancy.
that said I think I would torch if I had another baby and just not torch for more than an hour or so a couple of times a week.
The thing is once the baby arrives there is NO time for torching. I didn't make a bead till my daughter was 9 months old. She will be one next week and there is probably only 1 night a week that I feel like I am not too tired to torch.
If this is your first I am sure people tell you about the sleep deprivation but truly you have no idea till the baby is born - it is so so sooooo bad (sorry to scare you!). But once the baby starts sleeping through the night you will get back into torching!
Maybe make jewellery and just occasionally torch till he/she arrives!

Oh and congratulations on being pregnant.
Old 2010-01-09, 9:21am
Ambivitreous

A couple of points to consider in regard to respirators:

N-100/P-100 respirators will absolutely not protect you against the gaseous components of your torch exhaust such as carbon monoxide and oxides of nitrogen, nor will they protect you against chemical vapors; they're strictly for particulates. (Consider that if you can smell it, you ARE being exposed to it).

If you're going to wear a tight fitting respirator (that includes P/N-95s, P/N-100s, elastomeric full- or half-face cartridge types, etc.) for any purpose, you seriously need to have a conversation with your doctor, especially if you're pregnant, have underlying respiratory conditions such as asthma, have cardio issues, or are a smoker. High efficiency and chemical cartridge respirators place a great deal of additional burden on your cardiopulmonary system, and you need to be sure you are in sufficiently good health before you add that extra stress.

You also need to be fit tested with the respirator you will wear to ensure that it seals correctly; if it does not it will not protect you. The quick "positive/negative seal check" is absolutely not a substitute for proper fit-testing, because it does not capture the dynamic aspects of fit caused when you move.

It is vital that you choose the correct respirator/cartridge. You should consult with a reputable supplier or an Industrial Hygienist if you have even the slightest doubt as to what you should be using.

These things are a complication and a bother, yes, but if you're doing something dangerous enough that it requires respiratory protection, you need to to make sure you're actually being protected and you won't run into health problems caused by the respirator.

Rockin' 2 Nortel Red Maxes with Mega Minor topfires on natural gas & 6 EX-15s with my glass accomplice Lisa F-R
Old 2010-01-09, 10:16am
Boro Bum

Well i was not going to post as I'm a guy and never been pregnant lol, but my mom worked at Sylvania TV as a solderer then she was pregnant with both me and my sister and we are 45 and 50 now.
Hmm Maybe that's whats wrong with my sister hahahah but she says the same about me lol

AcidFly