Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2010-01-05, 8:46am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Default who do you register your domain name with?

I picked my domain name and when I type it in nothing comes up, so I guess that means it is available. What company do I use to register it? I heard that there are 2 main considerations. 1) I want to own my domain name; I heard that some companies get your domain name and own it themselves and lease it to you. I want to avoid this. 2) I heard that some companies will register your domain name to you, but when you go to build your website the company with which you registered cannot always provide you with enough 'bandwidth?' to allow you to have a shopping cart, etc. I want to avoid these problems. Any help is greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-05, 9:13am

I registered with www.namecheap.com and can have it hosted anywhere
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2010-01-05, 9:13am

I use Omnis.com....
They are wonderful and have a 24/7 tech support!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-05, 10:06am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

My website (poor thing has had NO attention paid for 2 yrs) is all "cared for" by PappaShop....hosting and domain name renewal stuff.....they just send me an email when it's time for the small amount of payment....

Old 2010-01-06, 4:28pm
I speak Murrini!

I'm a Go Daddy gal... www.godaddy.com

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-01-07, 9:17am

I like Lunarpages. It uses cPanel to manage the site(real important in my opinion), unlimited bandwidth and free domain for life. It is registered in your name, they just don't charge renewal fees. $4.95 a month

Visit my WebsiteTechnician site and poke around. I have ideas there on getting started and some tips on online businesses, html vs. blogs and other random stuff.

Steve

Old 2010-01-07, 10:05am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I use godaddy.com

It's about $10 a year to have a domain name and you can forward it to any website hosting site like PappaShop, or .mac

Old 2010-01-07, 10:44am
Growing Edge Glass

GoDaddy.com

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-01-12, 1:24am
picking Job's Tears

I have my website and domain registration at awardspace.com. $20/year with a free hosting plan. I don't have my images there (actually, I don't have most of my web pages there - saves on bandwidth).
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2010-01-12, 10:02am

Please understand that you have actually asked two separate questions:

* With whom should you register your domain? and
* Who should host your web site?

These are two separate activities. Some hosts will register your domain for you, and some registrars will host for you. But, they need not be the same.

There are a number of fine, inexpensive registrars. I use Dotster.

Likewise, there are a number of fine, inexpensive hosts. Select one that gives you all the features you want (scripting language support, database, SSL certificate, popular open-source applications, storage, bandwidth, etc.)

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978