Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-10, 7:56pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Default How to remove a bad bead core?

Hi, I've messed up a few metal bead cores and now I need to remove the metal core and try again. Does anyone have a good way of doing it? My hubby tried to drill them out with a drill press, but it isn't working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

#M-191
Old 2012-07-10, 8:38pm
Alaska Boro

Have not found a good way myself. Use a set of small wire cutters and lift and clip off the edges. Once cleared the core can be pushed out. A drill press will just spin the core within the bead.

It is a labor intensive project and no fun at all..... If one had the correct acid the silver (assuming silver is the metal being use) could be etched or eaten away. For copper, ferric chloride has been an enchant for copper printer circuit boards.

Ferric nitrate will etch silver, but how fast it will work on silver tube is a good question. Along with its safety concerns.

Cupric Nitrate is another suggestion. Have not used either. Ferric chloride works slow on copper and faster if heated. Acids such as nitric would be faster acting on some metals, but also dangerous to use and difficult to obtain in today's world.

Last edited by Alaska; 2012-07-10 at 8:42pm.
Old 2012-07-10, 9:00pm
Formerly FishBulb

Mary Lockwood mentioned a good method a few years back; she takes a jeweller's saw, threads the blade through the centre of the bead, attaches it to the saw frame like normal and saws off the core.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-07-10, 9:00pm
offically down under

I just use my wire cutter and pry up the lip and then cut around it and then try to mush all the silver to a smaller diameter than the core . It doesn't take that long as you only have to do one side.

With experience, you get faster with this. LOL

Old 2012-07-10, 9:01pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
Mary Lockwood mentioned a good method a few years back; she takes a jeweller's saw, threads the blade through the centre of the bead, attaches it to the saw frame like normal and saws off the core.
ooh That's a good idea.

Old 2012-07-11, 2:56pm
sunscreen me baby

I tried Mary's method and couldn't seem to get the saw to catch. I know my core is bad before it gets really tight. This allows me to saw between one lip of the silver and the bead. But, it's a pita so I only do it if the caps and bead are worth it.

~

Old 2012-07-11, 3:24pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Have not found a good way myself. Use a set of small wire cutters and lift and clip off the edges. Once cleared the core can be pushed out. A drill press will just spin the core within the bead.

It is a labor intensive project and no fun at all..... If one had the correct acid the silver (assuming silver is the metal being use) could be etched or eaten away. For copper, ferric chloride has been an enchant for copper printer circuit boards.

Ferric nitrate will etch silver, but how fast it will work on silver tube is a good question. Along with its safety concerns.

Cupric Nitrate is another suggestion. Have not used either. Ferric chloride works slow on copper and faster if heated. Acids such as nitric would be faster acting on some metals, but also dangerous to use and difficult to obtain in today's world.
That's how I do it. If you do enough of them (and I have ) you get pretty fast at it.

Old 2015-08-27, 10:35am

I used the debur tool to help weaken the lip and it made it really easy to pry off with wire cutters after that
Old 2015-08-27, 1:07pm
Dix Harrison

Here's how I do it.
May not be fastest, but works!

And, you can usually save the bead...