No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-26, 10:26am
Sheila Davis Designs

Default How much lead in glass?

Are there certain colors or brands of glass that have more lead in them?
I have a customer who wants to stay away from any glass that has lead in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-08-26, 2:57pm
da General

Sheila,

I believe Double Helix glass with the exception of Gaia contain no lead. From what Jed posted in the BOC thread regarding lead in glass, it looks like some of the Effetre colors actually contain some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Helix Glassworks View Post
The "lead content" being functionally zero in all of our colors, with the exception of Gaia, an older color made using Italian cullet as an ingredient. Gaia, which tested at 475 ug/g, is the only color that did not qualify as "Lead Free". The CPSIA permissible limit for lead content is 300 ug/g (PPM). Gaia is made using Italian Emerald Green 591030.
A 2012 new release production color, Oxalis (OX-380), has been formulated from scratch to offer an alternative to Gaia, with zero lead content, stronger luster effects, and an unusual green tone not found in commercial glasses. Oxalis will be available later in the year.

We also do not use Nickel, Cadmium, Selenium, Arsenic, Antimony, or Chromium in any of our production colors.

Some Lead Crystals use up to 65% Lead Oxide as batch ingredients. I'm not sure how that translates into PPM in finished glassware, but it must be a bunch.

Here's a LINK to the CPSIA website for those who are interested.

Thanks,
Jed and Julie at Double Helix Glassworks

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=20

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-08-26, 3:46pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Thanks Hayley.
I found this thread too.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=143463

Old 2012-08-26, 4:31pm
Unmedicated since '62

Satake has lead in it

and swarovski crystal had heaps

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-26, 5:33pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
Satake has lead in it

and swarovski crystal had heaps
Well...I'm not using Satake and she's on her own as far as the Swarovski's!
I doubt she even uses them...she sounds very....conservative.

Old 2012-08-26, 9:20pm

I have always been under the impression that a lot of the 96coe glass frits we use can have lead depending on the color. As does the paint in my house ...

Old 2012-08-27, 12:43am
Unmedicated since '62

does she understand that the lead in glass is essentially safe?

i mean for us melting the stuff is another matter but lead crystal has a huge amount of lead in it and its safe to drink out of

people hear the word lead and automatically think poison

Old 2012-08-27, 4:32am
Melody of Glass

Actually, there are warnings about the way we should be using lead crystal. It can be harmful if used incorrectly or regularly.

I'm not sure how much lead, if any, could be absorbed from wearing glass jewelry, though. I'll be interested to hear input on it if anyone knows.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-08-27, 4:36am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
Actually, there are warnings about the way we should be using lead crystal. It can be harmful if used incorrectly or regularly.

I'm not sure how much lead, if any, could be absorbed from wearing glass jewelry, though. I'll be interested to hear input on it if anyone knows.
From what I've read it needs to be exposed to acids, so don't leave wine in crystal decanters etc

I'm pretty sure crystal and glass jewellery is pretty safe

I'd be interested in in further input as well though, not hysteria though

Old 2012-08-27, 5:53am

Quote:

i mean for us melting the stuff is another matter but lead crystal has a huge amount of lead in it and its safe to drink out of

The issue here in the US is as much or more legal than it is safety. The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act took care of that. Having lead in or on products that might be handled by children is a BIG deal. The fact that it is pretty much immobilized in glass was dismissed by the CPSC and the ban on lead stands.

BTW, older formulations of EDP and Rubino (and it's other names) as well as Cranberry Pink all contain lead.

Robert
Old 2012-08-27, 11:01am
Melody of Glass

You're right Deb - the big issue is with storage. The amount of lead in wine stored in lead crystal increases 10-fold from pouring over a two week period. No storage. You do get some from drinking anything acidic out of it so it's not recommended for daily use.

The warnings are from the FDA and Health Canada - reputable sites imo and generally not prone to raising hysteria.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-08-28, 9:01am
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:

My customer is concerned with handling beads and wearing jewelry with lead in them. I'm trying to reassure her with the knowledge I've learned here. I think this woman has asked other artists too.

Old 2012-09-01, 6:10pm

I'm sure someone mentioned this but in Austria (where I was born and raised and where Svarovski is located) Svarovski glass is known as Bleikristall, so there definitely is a lot of lead in it. They don't have any particular safety rules for its use so I assume that the lead is integrated in the glass in a way that makes it insoluble. It is even used for food and drink.

Harry