Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-11-09, 7:53pm
Fire and Fluidity

Default Stopper tool done- product testers needed

As some of you might be aware, I have been working on a production model of my stopper making tool. The prototype is finally done and I need some people to bench test it, and give me feedback.

The system can be used to make anything from the tiny pendant vessels I sent in for the vessel exchange to full sized perfume bottles. I have five of these that were made while I was working out the design, and I would like to send them out to people to do some testing. I need people who can already make a basic boro vessel and who will try one out AND GIVE ME FEEDBACK. At this point, Mr. Smiley has one and Rita of Revere Glass School has one. Anyone else want to try? It comes with printed instructions and I will be doing a video/DVD type tutorial when it is in production.

PM me if you are interested.

-Don

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-11-09, 9:12pm
product of the universe

I got one off ya at agi. Great tool man. I'd like to get some of the hollow tapered blow tubes that you had.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-11-10, 5:50am

I bet Playing with Fire, a teaching studio with 10 torches in Rockland, Maine, would be willing to accept one. They are a magnet for us Maine lampworkers and that way, you could have multiple people test it at their studio. (I'd volunteer but I'm only one person... with the studio, you may wind up with a lot of testers.... (I'm jumping the gun to suggest them. I will pm Virginia to see what she thinks.)

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2008-11-10, 6:33am
boro color bender

Great tool... well thought out and is going to be very handy for people making vessels.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-11-10, 6:47am
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
I bet Playing with Fire, a teaching studio with 10 torches in Rockland, Maine, would be willing to accept one. They are a magnet for us Maine lampworkers and that way, you could have multiple people test it at their studio. (I'd volunteer but I'm only one person... with the studio, you may wind up with a lot of testers.... (I'm jumping the gun to suggest them. I will pm Virginia to see what she thinks.)

Sue

LOL...you *know* Ed would love to get his hands on it, let alone Virginia.

Good idea having the folks up there play with it though.

|
|
Old 2008-11-10, 6:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
LOL...you *know* Ed would love to get his hands on it, let alone Virginia.

Good idea having the folks up there play with it though.
lol... I think so too! I have sent a pm to Virginia with the link. Seriously, Don, we have open torch nights on Thursday night. Even though I have a torch at home (as do we all!), the comaraderie makes it worth so much more than they charge. Last time I went on a Thursday night (what? 3 weeks ago?), we had about 4 of us there. We just had a glass jam weekend and, although I could only make it on Sunday, we had Lyn, Sam, Emily, Anne, Sonje, me and a couple of others.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2008-11-10, 11:55am
Fire and Fluidity

Chris: Thanks for the feedback. I still haven't fond someone to make the tapered mandrel heads at a reasonable price. As soon as I can get that done this system will work for soft glass workers also.

Brent: Thanks for the comment. Looks like this is going to be popular!

Sue: That sounds like a great idea. I hope someone from there will contact me.

-Don-

Old 2008-11-10, 11:56am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I PM'd you!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-11-10, 2:12pm

Yeah...I get to test one. I'm thrilled. Love making matching stoppers for my vessels, but the fit is the hard part. This looks way cool.
Samma

Old 2008-11-10, 3:38pm
Spoiled

It'll be interesting to see what you guys think of them. I've just been using a cork on the ones I've made, it was taking up too much time making a stopper only to have it not fit.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2008-11-10, 3:42pm
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

cool. Hope it comes out soon!
I have one of your vessels, and the stopper is great

Giving
a try!
Old 2008-11-10, 8:47pm
product of the universe

Quote:
Chris: Thanks for the feedback. I still haven't fond someone to make the tapered mandrel heads at a reasonable price. As soon as I can get that done this system will work for soft glass workers also.
That will be cool when ya do I'll want at least 2. I wanna do some small soft glass bottles and that tapered mandrel seems like it will be perfect for what i got in mind.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-11-11, 12:02am
Fire and Fluidity

Thanks for the response everyone! I have all five of my prototypes committed and they will be in the mail in the next couple of days.

-Don-

Old 2008-11-11, 12:52am
Oooooh Sparkly!

Please let us know when they are ready for sale. My husband would love this tool!
Old 2008-11-11, 7:22am
yukue fumei

yes!
I would love to hear too!
I wish I was bettter at hollowwork...this looks like a great tool!

nagi

Old 2008-11-13, 12:28pm

Very cool sounding tool ... I'll add this to my "must have" list!

Did you ever do the rolling thingymagiggy aka yoke I think? I looked at yokes at the gathering and they were way too big for what I do - I want a small bench top type yoke.

Old 2008-11-23, 4:28pm

DON...MY BUD!!! You're a freakin' genius. I just made my first vessel on boro tubing and used the stopper tool. The vessel is geeky, but the stopper fits perfectly and the tool was the bomb to use.
This totally rocks! Great job. I'll post the pic of the vessel and stopper tomorrow night.
Imma' go make some more!
Samma

Old 2008-11-23, 6:01pm
Fire and Fluidity

HI everyone,

Sadie, I kind of looked around for parts to make the "pivoting rollers" tool, but havent really pursued putting it into production. Too many irons in the fire.

Samma, Wow, sounds like it really worked for you. Any comments about the directions or use of it? Love to see pics!!!

Anyone else tried it yet?

-Don-

Old 2008-11-23, 6:08pm
Serenity Now!

Sounds like a fab tool - I'd love to see some pics!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2008-11-23, 6:20pm

Don - got a second vessel done. Again, I'm a total novice at working with the tubing, so I would consider myself really new at this part. The directions for using the tool are so clean and simple. I read thru them once and totally got it. I love the little shaper parts too..so handy and what a great extra!
Man these stoppers fit so perfectly and it makes a difficult process, that was really struggling with soooooo easy. I can't wait for them to get out of the kiln. I'm not kiddin', I think this simple to use tool has opened up a whole new world for me!
THANKS!!!! Pics tomorrow night, I promise ;-D
Samma

Old 2008-11-23, 6:53pm
Borovangelist

It's the first thing on my list for tonight. It'll be nice to do something besides ornaments, bottle stoppers and pendants

|
|
Old 2008-11-23, 10:21pm
Borovangelist

Did two tonight, they're in the kiln now

|
|
Old 2008-11-24, 8:17am
Borovangelist

Pictures!!!

Left vessel: 12mm tubing, ColorMax white base, DAP and Cherrywood frit overlay
Right vessel: 10mm tubing, Loki's Lipstick base, amazon lagoon and butterscotch frit. My image is a little off, it's really more greenish than blue. I'm still learning how to work with the lagoon color.

|
|
Old 2008-11-24, 12:00pm
No Problem!

The more I use this, the more I love it. I used to make more vessels but grew tired of using corks for the smaller ones and larger ones were always tricky to get the glass stoppers to fit and grind properly.
I have a run of smaller vessels that are all finished. I also made a nice perfume bottle last night.
For the tiny size stoppers I found that it helped to tone my flame down really tiny to get them to shape just right. Heating the upper shoulder of the previous "pressing" is definitely the key.
I'll come back and post pictures later.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-11-24, 2:29pm

Menty - How fun. Don't you find the stoppers fit so nicely. I was trial and error before...mostly error and almosts. This is great!
I'm taking pics now...BBL
Samma

Old 2008-11-24, 3:40pm

OK...here's the first wonky one...but hey..the stopper fits Mostly Galactic Dragon Fire on clear and some various scrapies.

Seedy Lavendar and Plum Crazy (anybody got a lint brush...geesh!)

Violet Hue and Exotic Citrus Grapefruit

Stoppers out:

Totally diggin' this tool. Great job, Don!
Samma

Old 2008-11-24, 6:50pm
No Problem!

Nice work you two!
Thanks to Don, this tool is awesome. It was only a week or two before he offered these that I was using a tool that I made to shape stoppers for some new bottles I'm making. Only one size and it just wasn't doing the job without extra work. This thing makes it fun again.
I'm still working on some larger perfume bottles but I have these smaller vessels all finished. The stoppers fit wonderfully!

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-11-24, 7:29pm
Borovangelist

Jeez Beau, I'm not going to want to post anymore, yours are awesome!!

|
|
Old 2008-11-24, 7:49pm
No Problem!

Don'cha dare let me scare you off. It's literally all I do, pretty much 8 days a week. I really should be better by now

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-11-24, 8:06pm
Borovangelist

Forget the gorgeous shaping and lovely dot placement, what's that upper dot color on the black one with the colored handles? Fuchsia fantasy? peach over white? Other?

|
|