Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-11-03, 9:34pm
Bead Maniac

Default What is the best way to cut murrini

I made some wonderful murrini then I used my nippers to cut and they shattered..Is there a magical tool out there in lampworker land?
Thanks Susan

My blog.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-11-03, 9:39pm
Sucks at being nice

I just got these and they are fantastic! http://www.artcoinc.com/glass_cutters.php They work way better than my wheel nippers.

Old 2009-11-03, 9:56pm
Formerly known as LT

Have you tried to anneal the murrini cane before cutting? Some of mine is pretty brittle without annealing.

Old 2009-11-03, 11:14pm
Mad about Glass

I must agree with "jeepinwelch" - the glass cutters from Malcolm are amazing. Well worth the money.

[url]

Old 2009-11-04, 12:10am
Bead Maniac

Are you talking about the first ones on the list japanese glass cutters ...? thanks for the tips ...I never thought of annealing my murrini , I usualy made mine out of boro so did not need too...soft glass different story ...

My blog.

Old 2009-11-04, 6:43am

It kind of depends on the size of the murrini. The thicker 1/2 inch and larger really fare better if cut with a wet diamond saw. Thinner canes do fine with cutters. I did some tests on murrini (trombocini) that someone sent me from Italy a couple of months ago and found that they would only cut evenly after they had been annealed, otherwise they shattered. It appeared that they were simply pulled and sold. They were somewhat less than stress free. When in doubt, run them though an annealing cycle before you cut.

Robert
Old 2009-11-04, 6:50am
Dangerous Woman

I asked the same question.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140696

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-11-04, 12:25pm
Bead Maniac

Thanks Nancy ..very interesting link the Italian cutter awesome ...I would like to be able to get my cutter to work or buy something inexpensive to start with ...I have never been able to cut my murrini in consistant sizes or with out shattering lots ...I'm throwing them in the annealer today and see if that helps ....

My blog.