Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-27, 5:40pm
Melody of Glass

Question Abacus to add beads to?

I have a bunch of beads kicking around that are either going to turn into a bamboo planter or frit and was thinking it might be fun to make an abacus out of them. I have no woodworking skills, though. Does anyone know if beadless abacuses for filling up can be had on the open market somewhere?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-28, 12:17am
Isellstuff&alsothings

Sorry, I don't know of any but I think that's a great idea! Please share if you find a source and I'll let you know if I find one too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-08-28, 4:57am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Great idea! Pls do post what you find out!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2012-08-28, 5:07am
Unmedicated since '62

It would be a really easy thing to make

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-28, 9:25am
Isellstuff&alsothings

And I found a quickie tutorial on making one. I know you were looking for a ready made abacus to just fill in with beads but this tutorial is simple enough it makes me want to play around and try it too. Just so I can make it prettier than what's pictured, lol.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/zelime/a...tructions.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
It would be a really easy thing to make

Old 2012-08-28, 3:51pm
Melody of Glass

Thanks all. It would be easy to make but I'm not up for it at the moment. For some reason, I have a crazy aversion to staining wood. I will do everything up to that point and I HATE finishing it. Weird.

I agree - the tut does look very easy but I'd want it to be nicer than that too.

I will keep you all posted if I find anything pre-made or someone willing to make it. Perhaps I should post it on a woodworking site rather than a glass site!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-08-28, 6:24pm
Unmedicated since '62

so dont stain it, just leave it raw

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-28, 7:05pm

I use beadboxman cigar cases for displays and they look like abacus when they're filled up. maybe he (or another other etsy seller who makes these) could do you some custom ones with smaller spacing ...
Old 2012-08-29, 1:34pm
Must..have..more...glass

Find a local hobby woodworker and make a deal.
Old 2012-08-29, 10:36pm
Artistically Absorbed

I made my own for fairs it is 3 foot wide by 4 foot tall, it wasn't too hard. I am pretty handy, but not a woodworker by any means. I made it so people could fondle the beads all they want, and not worry about theft, becuase I would have to take the bead off for them. It's pretty nifty.
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-08-30, 3:37am
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

I actually think this would be a fun project to tackle.... I love playing with wood. I think that you could use the welding rods going across for the beads... maybe cherry wood... Couldn't be much harder than making a frame....hmmmm....
Old 2012-08-30, 6:13am

You need to do this Pam! Use a bunch of disc beads, I bet it will look awesome.

Old 2012-08-30, 11:47am
Melody of Glass

Yes, Pam! And then you need to sell me one

Coming soon...

Old 2012-08-30, 5:56pm
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

If someone was going to try this..... How many rows of beads? I know going across there would be 2 and 5... But how many rows going down? How big do you envision? Would 3/32 welding rods work for the beads to spin on?

Pam
Old 2012-08-30, 6:06pm
Melody of Glass

It seems like there are quite a few variations. In a quick search I've seen between 6 and 9.

I'm envisioning about 8"x10" loosely? Or slightly larger? I think 3/32 would be good.

Coming soon...