Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-29, 11:59am

Default What if i want the glasss to stick to the mandrel?

OK I got an idea for a project, but I think I want the glass to actually stick to the rod. That being the case, can I just use old Stainles steel mandrels with no release, add my glass and anneal as usual then cut the mandrels to the length i want or shoud i try a different metal for the mandrel? Once annealed, I will need to bend a right angle about a 1/4 inch from the edge of the glass bead. I am hoping that the anneling process will soften the Stainless steel just a bit to make it more bendable (Maluable) as well. Or am I just sniffing glue here?? Suggestions, thoughts??

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Old 2012-08-29, 12:02pm
Loving learning

It depends on the project I would say. Some metal would be easier to bend without damaging your glass, like copper, but it wouldn't be as stiff unless you work hardened it afterward.
Old 2012-08-29, 12:03pm
Loving learning

There is a tutorial for making head pins that might give you some ideas.
(Free tutorial section I believe)
Old 2012-08-29, 1:16pm
Uh Oh....

I've used mandrels without bead release on them for plant stakes but I didn't have to bend them. They were already bent a bit that's why I used them for plant stakes. I think it would be somewhat hard to bend a 3/32" mandrel 90 degrees 1/4" from the end of the bead even with the mandrel annealed. It's not impossible, just harder than say, a 1/16" mandrel. If you want really bendy, copper wire or that black steel wire will work too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-29, 1:55pm

If you have old thinner mandrels, bending them is easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-08-29, 2:58pm
Melody of Glass

Heat can harden steel, although I don't know if kiln temps are enough to do that. If so, annealing might make it harder to bend. What about making it on a mandrel with release, taking it off and putting it on a bent mandrel?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-08-29, 3:55pm

I am thinking of either 1/16 to 3/32 mandrels. My greatest worry is over expansion coefficients being far enough off to cause the glass to crack. Next concern is being able to bend the rod. Like I said it will be a project getting all the parts to work, but it could be fun. I do appreciate the input. I am also assuming that now that I want the glass to stick to the mandrel and not shatter, it probably will. I will look at the head pin tutorial as well. thanks again.

Old 2012-08-29, 6:28pm

Why not anneal after bending the rod, a torch should be able to heat up a the rod to red hot and use pliers to bend.
A cheap butane Brûlée torch should do the trick use a corner angle and pipe clamps to stabilize, just like a hot head.
Old 2012-08-30, 1:56am

You should be able to bend a 1/16 mandrel--why don't you try on an old one first?

I did a narwhal with the horn molded directly on a 1/16 mandrel (so it could be really skinny and strong), and the body and tail made as separate beads. Worked well, but I didn't have to bend the mandrel when done.
Old 2012-08-30, 5:51am

If you are doing a lot of bending, like making wire wrapped loops afterward or something I would use copper wire. You can use hemostats to hold the wire or wire it to old mandrels (a pita but the copper gets hot and this will make it easiest to make something). You can also use the black iron wire you get at a hardware store (I believe it is annealed 16 ga, called tie rod maybe?) which I think is harder than copper to bend but still much much easier than the mandrels. Using a mandrel I too think you would want to get it hot to bend it more easily but try your old wonky ones to see what you can do. I think it really depends on how much you need to bend the wire afterwards since as you bend it, it will get workhardened. But as long as you are not putting a huge chunk of metal in the middle of a really thin glass piece I don't think you should have issues with expansion. My original "plant stakes" (accidents of course rather than planned lol) are still holding strong darn it!!

Old 2012-08-30, 6:41am

I really appreciate the input, I will try and attach drawing of what I am trying to do. It is really quite simple once com plete (If it works I wll post a pic of the item) Bare with with me this is my first time uploading a picture

Old 2012-08-30, 6:43am

Lets try again.....
Attached Images

Old 2012-08-30, 9:15am
Curmudgeon Engineering

What I would do is make a bending jig. Take 2 pieces of 1/4" steel bar about 2 to 4 inches long and 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide, put them together edge to edge and mark a spot in the center. Then take a file and file a 'v' groove in the edges at the mark. Use a vice to clamp the mandrel in the 'v' groove and bend the rod using a wooden 'pusher' and a hammer. Use light to moderate hits with the hammer. The jig/fixture will keep the bead safe but allow you to bend the wire easily.