Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2007-08-22, 1:54pm
Daggy-O

Default New Website = headaches!

Well, I finally had someone work on my website for me. She did a great job, but I can't for the life of me get some of my pictures to load/show up as anything more than a red X!

I have been updating my blog and my homepage and even my events page, but it seems that my pictures and I aren't getting along.

Anyhoo, any feedback on the site would be great and any advise on how to get my pics to show up would be more than appreciated!

Thanks everyone.
Sherri Bierman
Bierglass Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Cancel my subscription - I am over your issues." Schermo's website
Old 2007-08-22, 3:14pm

What is the website address?

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-08-22, 6:23pm

that means they are not loaded onto the server where your site is hosted or not in the right folder. Are they still on your own PC? You will know by right clicking on the red 'x' and looking at the path... should be something like

"http://www.lazycatbeads.com/photogallery/solditems/fusionbead"

..... it also shows up in your code....

it sounds like it still might be pointing to your own pc?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and also ......
Old 2007-08-22, 6:23pm

and i only know it cuz I DONE it!!!!

and also ......
Old 2007-08-22, 6:32pm

I did a quick look at the properties of some of the pictures that are showing up and some of the ones with the red x. They look similar...tried going to their "addresses"...nothing came up for the red x ones, but did for the others....so the first thing that popped into my head was have the pictures been uploaded onto your server?

Old 2007-08-22, 6:32pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

I think that the website is http://www.bierglassart.com

--
--
--

Old 2007-08-22, 6:34pm

Guess I took too long
When I did tech training this was a very common thing.

Old 2007-08-22, 6:39pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

The two bottom pictures (on the bead page) also have a path that seems to be very long. Those seem to be inconsistent with the images that do show up.

Just some thoughts:
Do you know the path where you are loading the images to your server?
On certain servers the case of the path and / image matters. (So if your html shows the name with an extension of .JPG, but your image is named .jpg it MIGHT not work.)
The names have spaces in them... those CAN be tricky, but certainly should work if you are consistent.

--
--
--

Last edited by rosemarie23; 2007-08-22 at 6:42pm.
Old 2007-08-23, 11:22am
UIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim V View Post
The first thing that popped into my head was have the pictures been uploaded onto your server?
I did the web design for her site and as far as I can tell, the images aren't on the server. However, Sherri's definitely able to upload (the pages she updates work), so we haven't been able to figure out why the pictures won't work as well. Any ideas?

Last edited by brianna; 2007-08-23 at 11:37am.
Old 2007-08-23, 12:00pm

The images don't exist as named on your web server, which is why they aren't showing up.

You should create an images folder (to keep things organized). Then put images in it, and point to those images from your html. Also, don't name images with spaces. They don't work out so well that way (that's what all that %20 in file names is about, browsers replace spaces with that).

Then when you put images in your pages, you can use a href="images/my_awesome_bead.jpg" or whatever.
Old 2007-08-27, 3:53pm

Sorry, I don't come in here as often as other parts of LE. I agree, create a folder on your server for images. Upload all pics for the website into that and then link to them on your page. No spaces in the image name is good too!