Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Calls for Entries, etc.

Calls for Entries, etc. -- Calls for Entries, Contests, Exhibits, etc.

Old 2007-11-16, 9:49pm
MomOnAMission

I was wondering where & if it was actually going to "be." Would love to hear an update as well.
Old 2007-12-14, 10:43pm
Just Plain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-12-15, 3:16am

ROFLMAO!!

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-12-15, 5:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
Too funny!
Old 2007-12-19, 1:32pm
Just Plain

Thanks guys! I originally wanted Rip Van Winkle, but this dried up old chick was far better

Old 2007-12-19, 3:38pm
In search of her path....

So I take it no news?

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-12-20, 6:36pm
AKA Vanna

Sorry guys, I rarely log on any more to give any information. I talked to Lori and she said that she would like to get together after the Holidays to figure everything out.

I honestly don't know any more than that. I wish that I had more news...I am so sorry.

Kim's Klub
. Come on, you know you wanna!!

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)
Old 2007-12-20, 10:58pm

Could you ask Lori to post to give us an update?

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-12-24, 6:16am
AKA Vanna

Lara, Lori has had some personaly difficulties that I am not sure she would want me to discuss. I am sure that after the holidays we will both make an annoucement.

Sorry for all of the trouble.

Kim's Klub

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)
Old 2007-12-24, 6:18am
AKA Vanna

Me again....I don't mean to sound so vague. I am waiting on Lori to have a little bit of time so that I can chat with her again. Please forgive me....

Kim's Klub

Old 2008-03-12, 8:46pm

Any updates?

Old 2008-03-13, 9:51am
Goddess

Yes, an email would be the polite thing to do, not to mention the professional thing to do. We all worked hard to make tutorials specifically for this book, I know that mine took hours to finish, I am sure everyone elses do too, we really do deserve to hear something from one of you.

I have heard from an undisclosed source that this is simply not going to happen, someone has a fulltime job now and is not into the whole glass thing anymore, something went wrong with certain pictures which would mean that they would all have to be redone again, and other things.... Anyway, since we've had no communication, I believe this to be true. But I will say that I am really disappointed in how this whole thing was handled..or rather NOT handled, but just abandoned without a word.

Old 2008-03-14, 12:38am
Goddess

Kandice, I think that your best bet is to write personally to Lori or Kim and tell them that you have decided to pull your tutorial from their book (which is not likely to ever see print anyway) because it has been so long with not one word or update. Then you could submit it elsewhere, I am sure there are plenty of magazines or other book authors who would be happy to have it. Personally, I wouldn't wait for something further to happen with this because it isn't likely to.

Old 2008-03-14, 3:30am
Daggy-O

I am so bummed - this was my first shot at something I had made being in print. I think I sent beads to be photographed, will we get those back? I suppose it's no big deal, but would really like to know what's going on.

Daggy

"Cancel my subscription - I am over your issues." Schermo's website
Old 2008-03-14, 8:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderCreek View Post
Yes, an email would be the polite thing to do, not to mention the professional thing to do. We all worked hard to make tutorials specifically for this book, I know that mine took hours to finish, I am sure everyone elses do too, we really do deserve to hear something from one of you.

I have heard from an undisclosed source that this is simply not going to happen, someone has a fulltime job now and is not into the whole glass thing anymore, something went wrong with certain pictures which would mean that they would all have to be redone again, and other things.... Anyway, since we've had no communication, I believe this to be true. But I will say that I am really disappointed in how this whole thing was handled..or rather NOT handled, but just abandoned without a word.
I haven't heard this, but suspected something like this to be going on. I understand person issues too, but a post here or an email would be nice. Frankly, I can't remember which beads I submitted with photos (lost a buch of stuff with a virus). It has been 2 years since the first post.

This too was going to be my first publication. BUMMER

Old 2008-03-16, 5:38pm
Formerly SirWatson

Yeah....it's a shame. My first shot at being published too. Oh well. I still have copies of my pictures, but I can't seem to find my write up. *sigh* This is a bummer.

<><
Old 2008-03-20, 5:49pm
Salt Marsh Studio, FL

I do apologize for not seeing these posts. I don’t log on to LE but for once in a blue moon. Kim was much better at keeping this post on watch but I don’t know how much time she has anymore. We haven’t gotten together to discuss the book’s future due to our schedules. The book has had some problems. The quality of some of the photos submitted weren’t printable (600dpi). But I think they might be good enough for online (72dpi) One idea was to do it as an online book instead of canceling the whole project. That is what we were going to talk about doing and how to go about that. Another thing that the online book would clear up was the length issue with the book. We had to limit the printable pages that would have squeezed some longer but very good articles to where they wouldn’t have been complete or just out and I didn’t want to do that. For those of you who need to pull out to submit your article in other places, please do so. I believe I have sent all the beads back when you requested them before. But if I haven’t and you need them back, contact me thru the email not pm’s and we will make arrangements. We will contact everyone who has contributed to the book before we publish to make sure we still have permissions. To my knowledge and experience with magazines and books, they don’t send updates to the contributors so I never thought it was necessary. I apologize for not meeting your expectations. In the future please email me to find out information.
Old 2008-03-21, 7:59am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Robbins View Post
I do apologize for not seeing these posts. I don’t log on to LE but for once in a blue moon. Kim was much better at keeping this post on watch but I don’t know how much time she has anymore. We haven’t gotten together to discuss the book’s future due to our schedules. The book has had some problems. The quality of some of the photos submitted weren’t printable (600dpi). But I think they might be good enough for online (72dpi) One idea was to do it as an online book instead of canceling the whole project. That is what we were going to talk about doing and how to go about that. Another thing that the online book would clear up was the length issue with the book. We had to limit the printable pages that would have squeezed some longer but very good articles to where they wouldn’t have been complete or just out and I didn’t want to do that. For those of you who need to pull out to submit your article in other places, please do so. I believe I have sent all the beads back when you requested them before. But if I haven’t and you need them back, contact me thru the email not pm’s and we will make arrangements. We will contact everyone who has contributed to the book before we publish to make sure we still have permissions. To my knowledge and experience with magazines and books, they don’t send updates to the contributors so I never thought it was necessary. I apologize for not meeting your expectations. In the future please email me to find out information.
Photos don't need to be 600 dpi to be printed. 300 dpi is the industry standard for color work. I think whoever your publisher is may have given you wrong information.

If you need any help with that side of things, I own a printing/publishing company, so I'll be glad to help.

I know a lot of people were excited about this project, and I hate to see it get sidelined because of something like this.

Old 2008-03-21, 9:03pm

But Lori, Kim said she was going to talk with you and update us a couple months ago and nobody did. You started the project by posting here and just an update after 1 year (post from Kim 3-25-07 "We are well on our way to publishing the book") is not asking a lot.

We were all so excited to be included and eager to see the end product and curious as to the status.

Last edited by Lara; 2008-03-21 at 9:14pm.
Old 2008-03-24, 7:21pm
AKA Vanna

Hello guys!

Thank you so much for your emails and PMs. I do apologize, I no longer log into LE as well, so receiving this urgent plea wasn't received. For those of you that sent emails to my Heavenly Fire email, it was hacked quite a while back and I wasn't receiving any emails there as well.

Lori is correct, we are working on some form of electronic way to get your tutorials to the public. We believe that will be the most cost effective way to go.

I do understand that you are all upset and I so apologize for not meeting your expectations. We will do our best to make sure that your hard work doesn't go unnoticed. I personally have spent many nights lying awake trying to figure out some way to make this up to my many friends and peers. I can't express how sorry I am!

Yes, you are correct. I was not able to maintain our family and make a living selling my artwork and had to seek full-time employment to frankly feed my family. That does not mean that I am no longer 'doing the glass thing' and dropped the entire project. It really saddens me that my family's hard times were used as a weapon to punish me when I could no longer afford to devote myself full-time to this project. Instead attempting to contact me to find out why I dropped out of the glass world and offer some type of moral support, someone chose to use it as a weapon. Again, that so saddens me from a group of people that I counted as my friends. If this wasn't meant to be hurtful, please let me apologize in advance.

I understand if you choose not to be a part of the project and I can't blame you a bit! We will do our best to make up for all of the disappointment that we have caused.

Lastly...Thanks Anne and Jennifer for your sweet emails!

Kim's Klub

Last edited by AVCKimberly; 2008-03-24 at 8:42pm.
Old 2008-03-25, 6:05am
AKA Vanna

Kandice,

Thank you so much for your heartfelt message. It wasn't directed per-say at anyone, but I did feel that everyone needed an honest explanation of my circumstances. I have no excuse for not logging on to update everyone of my status other than life just got in the way and for that I am sorry...you guys have no idea how sorry!

Please don't feel bad for me. Yes, I did have to go back into the working world, but I have a great job that I love! I am one of the Marketing Managers for Bruster's Real Ice Cream AND I lead an organization called Friends Helping Friends that is raising awareness and money for Childhood Cancer. I work closely with three little girls that all have Cancer and they, along with my family are the joys of my life. God has a way of moving your life around so that He can have you where He needs for you to be. Right now....I am exactly where God needs me to be and I am so humbled and honored by it.

Lori and I spoke a bit last night and plan on speaking again tonight. We will both update everyone soon with an update.

Take good care everyone!!
Kim

Kim's Klub

Old 2008-03-25, 11:42am
Goddess

I'm glad to hear that you both are doing well and haven't abandoned the project. I also wasn't trying to cause trouble, but time and again we have had no response, not here in the original thread and also not to private emails. When I was told that the project was dead do to complications, well, with no other communication to say otherwise, it was hard not to believe that it was true.

I felt bad for the people who really were looking forward to this and had been waiting so patiently and so based on what I was told, I suggested that they pull their tutorials and have them published somewhere else if they were tired of waiting and since we were getting no response at all from either of you...I'm glad that you have resurfaced to clear things up.

Old 2008-04-02, 9:27am
pinkcloud2

Default are you still doing it?

Hi, I just found this thread. I basically went from the first page to the last to see if you were still looking for pink/purple beads for your project. Are you?
Did I miss something in between?
Thanks,
Alicia
Old 2008-08-31, 6:39am
Detail G-Mama!

I gave up and made up my own tutorial for what I was submitting.

Old 2008-09-03, 2:08pm
Salt Marsh Studio, FL

After carefully weighing all of the options, Kim and I regret that we
are going to be unable to complete the Pinks and Purple Publication.

To all of the faithful artists that worked so hard on their
submissions, we are truly and deeply sorry for any of the hurt and
disappointment that has been caused by this decision. We would also
be remiss if we didn't explain why we were lead to make this very
tough choice.

First off, as life always does, it just got in the way. We both
experienced changes in jobs, family responsibilities and other
personal issues that impeded our ability to produce a top quality
publication. A few more of the defining factors were the changes in
the Lampworking world and the economy, making financially supporting
the project impossible for both of us. We had, at one time, confirmed
an investor, but with changes in this person’s industry, investing in
a project like our wouldn't gain a positive return on their investment.

We can't tell you how very sorry we are that we have had to
make this decision. Please believe us when we say this was a dream
for us as well and we both feel the weight of your disappointment
personally.

If you submitted actual work for photography or for future
use and you would like to have that work returned to you, please
email us at lorikimbook@gmail.com .

If you have any questions or comments, Kim and I will be responding
to email at lorikimbook@gmail.com . We will no longer respond regarding this
issue in any online forums, there just isn't enough time in the day
to respond to more than one medium.

Again, thank you for all of your kind words, your phone calls and
email and especially, your patience.

*Note about time responses from Lori....I am having some weather related problems with my phone and sometimes with my Internet server due to the St John's river flooding. Hopefully it will clear up soon and we aren’t hit with another hurricane/tropical storm. If I can’t log on at my house I will be traveling to my sisters at lease once a week to check my email. My PM’s on LE are turned off. Please use listed email above.

Lori Robbins
Kimberly Scott