Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2017-09-06, 3:52pm

Default encased beads cracking

Hi all
I have been lampworking for a few months, I have an Alpha torch running on a industrial oxycon.
My problem is when ever I encase a bead with a white or black base it cracks and or breaks when I take off the mandrel after I take it out of the kiln.
I also do marbles but do not have the same problem with them.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 2017-09-06, 7:34pm

Assuming you are talking boro glass since this is the boro room.

Many whites don't do well against mandrels ... not aware of blacks but the best course of action in both cases is to lay down clear first (next to the mandrel) and then your core of white or black on top of the clear. The clear creates a barrier and then the whites will play nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-09-06, 11:50pm

Thanks Laura I will give that a try next time.
Old 2017-09-10, 7:23am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

You can also try using Borostix white. This white is not as dense as all the other whites, and I have used it as a white base for beads for years with no problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-09-11, 8:30am
ManBearPig

Put a small wrap of clear on before you start making your bead. Then put whatever colors on top of it.

Old 2017-09-14, 4:45am

Thanks everybody for your advice and help.
I will give putting clear under the colour before encasing a try and get some Borostick to try as well thanks again.
Old 2017-09-17, 6:24am
ManBearPig

When you get the borostix, I think they work best by taking 2-3 of them, mixing them up, and then pulling them down into a new rod. They can have bubbling problems if you don't mix them up first.