Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-04-10, 9:34am

Default Propane gauges

My husband changed the propane tank over the weekend. Before this, any time that I turned on the tank the needles would rise up to reflect the amopunt and psi. When I turned the tank off the needles would slide back to the "0" or originating postion. Now, the needles are in the same postion (about 5psi and 800). They are not moving down when the tank is closed. Is that normal?? Do I have a leak ? I tried spraying soapy water in the brass connections but I can't say I really saw any bubbles form that weren't a result of the dripping water anyways.
Any reason for this? Any more tricks to try?
Nope, I haven't taken it off yet and re-hooked it. As it is outside it is a bit brisk ..and I am afraid I may be too weak to reconnect it . BUT if this is the best way to resolve it I will do so.

Thanks so much for any help!.

Anne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-04-10, 9:49am
Missing presumed fed

Have you burned off the gas in your hose? With your propane tank off, light your torch and let it burn until the flame goes out. Your gauge should go down to zero.

Edited to add: My gauge (I have a single dial version) doesn't go down at all unless I bleed (burn off) the gas remaining in the hose. If I make a mistake when I'm turning on the propane and set the pressure higher than I want it, I have to shut off the tank and burn off the gas in the hose before I can get a valid reading to re-set the pressure.

Last edited by Emily; 2007-04-10 at 1:35pm.
Old 2007-04-10, 12:27pm
Safety ALWAYS

Quite probably, on your previous tank, the regulator was not tightly threaded into the connector, and was leaking slightly. On your current tank, the regulator is tight enough and you've got no leak.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-04-10, 1:50pm

Thanks guys...that worked. have a nice evening!
Anne