LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-08-19, 7:39am
metallics freak

Default A Scroll Tut Please?

I've been making beads for almost 5 years now, and no matter what I try, I still can't do a scroll. Anyone out there that would like to post a tut would be much appreciated!
Old 2005-08-19, 9:28am

Well, a tut would include stuff you already know how to do (pull stringer, keep the bead warm, etc.) so I'll just post how I do it!

Start of with transparent stringers. they are stiffer and easier to manage. Stay away from white and ivory until you get the technique down. Again, globby mess.

I work to the right of and just outside the flame. You can find this spot by taking a bead and placing it under and to the right of the flame...and take your stringer and touch it to the bead about an inch to the right of the flame. Press on the stringer and you will feel the resistance. It's not warm enough to manipulate. Keep pressure on the stringer while moving the whole thing towards the flame VERY SLOWLY....you will feel it "give" and start to bend. This is your "sweet spot". Move the bead with the stringer. This is really the key for me and scrollwork. If i keep the bead stationary, I get a globby mess. Takes PPP (like everything) but once you get used to it...it's second nature. Just practice in the spot where there is resistance, but still warm enough to move. Clear as mud?

Cass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-19, 1:59pm

thanx! gonna go try it now
Old 2005-08-19, 2:30pm
CA Queen Bitch

I am so shakey from coffee, which I am giving up NEVER! I couldn't do it very well until I bought my Creation Station! What a HUGE difference!!!! I made these this week, and I gotta tell ya.......having my wrists steady made ALL the difference in the world! They aren't perfect but this was first real serious attempt. I can even scroll with paper thin stringer now!
Good luck!! Let us see how you do!
One more thing, press hard and have your stringer straight up like a pencil. Know what I mean?

~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-08-19, 2:47pm
O hai.

not bad ! I couldn't do a scroll or a swirl to save my life....
Old 2005-08-19, 3:55pm

Love those beads Suzy!

Old 2005-08-19, 4:14pm
CA Queen Bitch

Thanks Dawn! They sure are entertaining to wear. I love the light play through the Cobalt.

~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-08-19, 6:20pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Don't be afraid to turn DOWN your flame! This is a great way to start and as you get more comfortable you can slowly work your way back to a full flame when you get the hang of finding the "sweet spot".

It works! Try it

Old 2005-08-20, 11:38pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Suzy is right... the Creation Station increased my stringer control 1000% OVERNIGHT! I kid you not. and I can now use teeny tiny stringers and get really small details!

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-08-21, 1:57pm
metallics freak

Thanks for the input everyone...will try and try again till i get it! I just love the look and am so frustrated not being able to just do it!
Old 2007-10-30, 6:23am
Noobie

I think this is the best description of stringer control I have come across. For myself anyhow. Im left handed, so Im sure that I could work to the left of the flame using the same directions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyCassie View Post
Well, a tut would include stuff you already know how to do (pull stringer, keep the bead warm, etc.) so I'll just post how I do it!

Start of with transparent stringers. they are stiffer and easier to manage. Stay away from white and ivory until you get the technique down. Again, globby mess.

I work to the right of and just outside the flame. You can find this spot by taking a bead and placing it under and to the right of the flame...and take your stringer and touch it to the bead about an inch to the right of the flame. Press on the stringer and you will feel the resistance. It's not warm enough to manipulate. Keep pressure on the stringer while moving the whole thing towards the flame VERY SLOWLY....you will feel it "give" and start to bend. This is your "sweet spot". Move the bead with the stringer. This is really the key for me and scrollwork. If i keep the bead stationary, I get a globby mess. Takes PPP (like everything) but once you get used to it...it's second nature. Just practice in the spot where there is resistance, but still warm enough to move. Clear as mud?

Cass
Old 2007-10-30, 8:14am
glass is sooo...me!

I am left handed and I use the left side of the flame with the stringer in my left hand and the bead in my right. I tend to hold the bead just under the flame...keep practicing you will find what works for you. I think everyone does this just a tiny bit different.

For all you left handed people:
I learned a long time ago to use a mirror! If the instructions (and especially pics) for anything are right handed put the pics up to a mirror. The image will reverse and you will have all the pictures in a left handed version. I learned to crochet that way.

Karen
Starfield Glass
Old 2007-10-30, 2:31pm

I'm left handed also. I use the left side too. A mirror really works great.

My Facebook
Old 2007-11-06, 9:26am

Stringer control has been very difficult for me since I am on a Hot Head. But I tried a trick I learned from another Hot Head user who turns her flame down as far as it will go without going out and then works up at the tip, just in the heat wash, not near the flame. It seems to work well. I have never been able to get the working under the flame thing. My stringer will just melt and bend about an inch up from the bead!

Cheryl

Old 2007-11-06, 12:23pm
Molten Glass Addict

The first time I tried it, it was so hideous, I threw the bead on the cement floor and vowed to never do it again.

Then one day I kicked myself in the rear and said "you do not give up!! You always keep trying until you can do it. so stop being a big baby and just go do it.@#$%^&*!"

So, I bought Corina Tettingers DVD on stringer control, made some smaller diameter stringers and turned the hot head down and tried again. and again. and again. And some days it looks really good, and some days it looks like I should give up the coffee! But it's fun once you get the hang of it.

For me, turning down the flame and working further away from the cone helped a lot!!

Good luck!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2007-11-07, 4:17am
Spectrum rulz

if you put your stringer on and its a bit wonky you can give it a bit of a nudge into the correct place. I use a tool that I think is for ceramics has a triangle on 1 end and a curve on the other - use the curve to push the stringer rounded to where it belongs.
Old 2007-11-14, 9:02pm
Lisa

What is a Creation Station ?
Old 2007-11-14, 9:13pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscenti View Post
What is a Creation Station ?
http://www.austinbluemoon.com/catalog.php?item=2

It has arm supports and helps stabilize your hands.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.