LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-02-01, 10:02pm

Default Soft glass

I've only ever used boor, and because of my budget, I thought I'd try soft glass. What temp does it anneal? Any tips for me? Is it weaker than boro? Thanks.
Melynda
Www.Safaglass.net
Old 2014-02-02, 10:11am
Wonder-wench

annealing temperatures around 950F.

It gets softer faster and stays softer longer.

It doesn't like to go from room temp directly to hottest flame, needs a bit of warming in back of flame or light dancing in/out of flame first

much more prone to cracking while working if any part gets cool and then back in flame, must keep it all warm the whole time or work in one direction only and never go back to cooler part.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-02-02, 10:23am
Glass Addict

Some of the prettier CiM "Moonstone" colors want a higher annealing temp than normal Italian soft glass.... since I use a tone of CiM colors I anneal at boro temps (1050). I do a lot of sculpture work and haven't had much, if any, slumping issues annealing at the higher temp....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-02-02, 1:34pm

Thanks. I'm going to try it now. Slow to heat, and slow to cool. Thank you
Old 2014-02-02, 7:46pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilegoddess View Post
Some of the prettier CiM "Moonstone" colors want a higher annealing temp than normal Italian soft glass.... since I use a tone of CiM colors I anneal at boro temps (1050). I do a lot of sculpture work and haven't had much, if any, slumping issues annealing at the higher temp....
I've always wondered what would happen to soft glass if it were annealed with boro. So, you're saying you can anneal Effetre, CIM at that high a temp??? This really peaks my interest!
Old 2014-02-03, 9:52am

^^ so long as it's a bead, marble pendant etc you can anneal at boro temps (but i'd probably adjust the ramp down to more of a soft glass ramp down) and it won't slump.

now, i made a big thin bubble of ivory and mystery silver glass, i made it for shards, but wanted to strike it first so i kilned it at 1050....and it turned into a puddle.
Old 2014-02-05, 10:48am
Glass-aholic

Yea.. And if it does melt... You know your kiln runs hotter than your pyrometer says.

Also if you are using silver glasses or striking colors you can burn out the color if it's too got or in there too long (except for the few kiln striking ones). Some colors that have a shine or reduction can also have the shine burn off, and some very soft colors like white and pink may slump at a lower temp than the others so watch out. I know my kiln runs a little warm but when the actual temp hovers about 1000 my whites will stick if touching.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Tags
soft glass