Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-09, 3:38pm
Fugitive from the Dogstar

Default Overwhelmed - Advice for a Newbie

Hi there,

I was wondering if you can give me your opinions on where I should start with bead making. I'm in it purely for joy, I love the idea of playing with molten glass and have wanted to learn this craft for years. I have had three lessons, two of which were learning to make stringer/twisties and the basic round bead and simple decoration with dots. The other lesson was making hearts and adding some flowers/decoration to the hearts.

I am also in the process of setting up a work area in our home. I have a Minor torch (or will pick it up tomorrow), an OxyGen is on the way, and will eventually get a kiln when we can afford it. (I have a place where I can take my finished beads to anneal once I get enough together) Also, I have bought some of the basic tools: mandrels, release, some glass, a couple of tungsten picks, and clippers for rod, and I still need to pick up a couple more things - glasses, fiber blanket thingy.

While I am finishing accumulating the basic equipment, I also have about 10 hours of torch time at the place where I took the classes so I can start practicing a little each weekend for the next couple of weeks. But there are so many types of beads that I want to learn to make! Holy heck (reserving my saucy language since I'm so new ) - where do I start?

So, how did you all start? Did you just jump in tossing your cares to the wind? Were you so taken by tornado beads or organics that you said to yourself, "forget the rounds, I'm going all in" or were you more structured... First I learn this, then that, and so on...

My teacher suggested doing the 40 Bead Challenge by Heather Trimlett just to get the rounds down and also learn about dots - placement, style, etc. I was also thinking of just making a list of things I want to learn and check them off one by one. Of course, that means spending more money on glass and such and right now I want to be a little frugal with my cash until I know what the heck I'm doing.

So, after my long winded rambling, I ask you again - how did you all start? I would appreciate any insight!
Old 2013-08-09, 3:52pm
honorary bead lady

Oh hell first thing I tried was encased florals
Old 2013-08-09, 4:06pm
Nikki Haverstock

I have heard people taking either approach.

I would suggest picking an approach that really excites you and do with that but stay flexible to changes when needed. ie you may have something you are passionate about learning but then you may stop and spent some time working on a basic skill to achieve it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-08-09, 4:25pm

I started by just trying not to get burned.. When I realized that was not going to happen. I went all in.. I practice the basics, then tried something out there.. Each time I got on the torch (still do now a year and half later, Wow and I am still a newbie). I start with some spacers or twisties or stingers. Then try a bead or two that is a bit more difficult. When I am really feeling it.. I go straight to the sculpting. I love every min. If I had to do just rounds or spacers each time. I would have said the heck with it. I agree with Nikki (which sort of what I have been doing). I also agree it can be totally over whelming because all the eye candy floating around here. lol
Cherri
Old 2013-08-09, 4:29pm

I just starting making things with colors I liked and learned as I went. My first goal was to get a LOT better at shaping and balancing the glass around the mandrel. I loved exploring what different cololrs would do, and pretty quickly had some favorites.

Howaco Glass sells single rods, and I think Donna at The Mandrel might also. You can always buy just a little and then get more of what you like best.
Old 2013-08-09, 4:31pm

Also, you might want to think about the annealing bubbles that Artco sells instead of the fiber blanket. They are a lot cleaner!
Old 2013-08-09, 6:20pm
Wonder-wench

I started with basic rounds and dots. My goal in the beginning was to get a nice, symmetrical shape by hand, with nice "puckers" and practice stringer control with the dots. These are basic skills that are needed for more complex beads. Trying to make complex beads without mastering a few basics, for me, is a recipe for frustration. I still find challenge in getting the basics right every time.

I second the suggestion to try the 40 bead challenge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-08-09, 7:35pm
I think my raku is broken

I second the annealing bubbles.

Old 2013-08-10, 3:07am

I wuold start with the easy version of what you long to do. I love florals so I started right in with some very simple florals. I did stuff that was melted all the way in and stuff that wasn't. I worked my way up to more complex stuff and encasing. You'll get there, just do what you love.
I wasn't worried about making a perfect round or mastering this or that, step by step. I just wanted to create. So some of it would depend on your personality type.

Old 2013-08-10, 5:34am

My thoughts are to start simple BUT you can get a more complicated look from your simple. For example, using turquoise and ivory will give you the look of 3 colors and, if you make a dotted bead, your design has marvelous little black rings around all the dots that make it look like some amazing color control with 3 colors, even though you're using 2.

Another thought on dots is to practice with same color over same color. The reason being is if your blue dots look horrible on your blue bead, melt them in and try again. You get lots of dot practice on one bead... look at the time you cut out in not having to make that second, third bead in order to practice dots.

Your starting goal should be to get the basics down. When you can make a well shaped donut bead with puckered ends, you've mastered it and can move on. If you jump way too far into advanced skills before you master the basics, you are going to get discouraged. Still- go for something complicated that really interests you and know that we all do that. It's fun later on to have your "beginner advanced" bead and compare it to what you do when you are more advanced.

Oh, the turquoise and ivory reaction is a silver issue, causing that third black color. Like I said, a bead with this color combination will look way more advanced than it is.

If and when you get frustrated, take a deep breath, step back and go back to a basic until you get your mojo back.

Welcome to the world of glass.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2013-08-10, 7:15am
Queen Tut ;)

I jumped right in after a couple basic rounds and frit beads into trying what I wanted to. I actually was looking at my newbie beads the other day and thought how unbelievably brave I was. When I wanted to improve my skills, I flipped through various books and practiced some basic things that attracted my attention.

I would suggest looking at what you'd like to aim for. If you like florals, start with basic floral beads like someone else mention they did. Look at more complex beads and try to analyze what skills they require. You can always ask here on LE if you're not sure what skills he with certain end products.

When in doubt, stringer control is helpful to most all styles of decorating. Using stringer helps you learn the parts of your flame, finding sweet spots, and heat control.

My 2 cents. Enjoy yourself though. Glass is so unbelievably fun.

Old 2013-08-10, 7:57am

'Practice' glass doesn't have to be expensive glass. Maybe get some Effetre ivory (light or dark, doesn't really matter), Effetre turquoise (again, Lt or dk), Effetre transparent black (not intense) and some of whatever colors you really like in your heart. Mine is red so I bought red at first for part of my practice glass. Get some Effetre white and learn how much more sloppy it is when it melts: this will become very important later on.

You said you are getting into glass for the joy of it; I think most of us here at LE did that too. Learn and experiment and play and you will soon know what techniques you need to polish.

Welcome to the best addiction ever!

Best regards,
Helene
Old 2013-08-10, 8:26am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
That's me! Lol! I was making large encased beads on my first day ... A one-day class. Encased florals, hollows, fish shortly after (1-1.5 months before having a kiln and wondered why the fins were falling off in the fiber blanket!). Just dove in and tried all the different techniques...

I recommend doing whatever works for you - systematically or just play! I actually want to do Heather's 40 beads exercise myself. It's a great refresher for everyone and not limited to newer beadmakers.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2013-08-10 at 8:36am.
Old 2013-08-10, 8:33am

I am a what do I want to try to do today kinda of person, I jumped right in making beads,sculptures, blown objects what ever caught my fancy that day

#C-151
Old 2013-08-10, 8:39am

Start by setting a "glass budget" or some way to set aside funds for glass tools and equipment.
Look at different glass suppliers and book mark important resources, tutorials, or inspirational sites.

Avoid placeing a large order with divardi it can be a little tricky to work with and being stuck with glass you don't like is just depressing.

I usually set the radio on and do basic pieces for a few songs then just sort of play on what ever I'm feeling.

Old 2013-08-10, 9:39am

I started pretty much the same as you: two short workshops, and then on to having a go at home. On my first weekends at the torch I invested a lot of time in making plain donut beads in all the different colors I had picked up. To me, it was a great way to learn the basics, to others it may seem like an incerdibly tedious task. The first beads I made, are now part of a 'rainbow necklace' and it is one of my favorites.
Old 2013-08-10, 9:41am

I jumped in and tried all kinds of things... started with rounds and dots and went from there.

One word of warning though: I got hooked on bead rollers WAY too early, and became very reliant on them for shaping my beads. After 2 years, I had to go back to basics and learn how to make donuts using gravity only. I really wish I'd been more patient at the start and learnt to get the basic shapes (rounds, donuts) down pat without tools, and also learnt how to marver glass into different shapes (cylinders, bicones).

I now have lots of techniques, but sometimes those basics still let me down, and it's all because I tried to run before I could walk in the early days.....

Old 2013-08-10, 4:39pm

add at least two fire extinguishers to your list. One near your work area and one on your escape path. Make a fire escape plan, memorize it.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2013-08-10, 4:58pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Lol same! I think I have that misshaped burned blob somewhere

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-08-10, 7:22pm

All - thank you so much for your advice. Today I had my torch time and ended up making an awesome set of rounds in Effetre Ivory Dk. Then, embolden by my set of rounds I made a bubble bead! I don't know what you call them but it's the style where you have a base and add a dot, stick a hole in it, then cover it with clear. Oh sure, I promptly jacked up the two bubble beads I did after that but hey, I got one right. (I'm going to post the pics in the newbie section if you want to check them out)

I think what keeps my interest in the rounds is having a cool looking glass like the Ivory Dk where it changes colors - looks like of "other-worldly". So I think I'm just going to divvy up the time left at the studio with PPP and then experimentation.

I would love to do encased florals but they scare the heck out of me. Gotta get over some of these fears. I do need to start a glass budget but I fear that's going to carve into my yarn budget! I need to win the lotto!

Again, thanks again - your advice and your encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Blessings!
Carol

Last edited by 1knitchick; 2013-08-10 at 7:58pm. Reason: Bad spelling!
Old 2013-08-10, 9:04pm
da General

Carol - will you please put your info in ROAGK?

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/raogk.php

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-08-11, 8:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Carol - will you please put your info in ROAGK?

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/raogk.php
All done Hayley!
Old 2013-08-11, 9:50am

I you want to learn basic decoration--lines, dots. twisties--you can start with just a few colors. Practice the designs you like, and when you're done, you'll wind up with a bunch of coordinating beads to use. I suggest black, white or ivory, and clear to start. Some decorations rely on the way transparents (black, clear) react with opaque (white, ivory) glass, so you're covered there.

I think it is copper in the turquoise reacting with sulphur in the ivory--no silver involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
Oh, the turquoise and ivory reaction is a silver issue, causing that third black color.
Sue
Old 2013-08-11, 1:01pm
It's about having fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofsheba52 View Post
'Practice' glass doesn't have to be expensive glass. Maybe get some Effetre ivory (light or dark, doesn't really matter), Effetre turquoise (again, Lt or dk), Effetre transparent black (not intense) and some of whatever colors you really like in your heart. Mine is red so I bought red at first for part of my practice glass. Get some Effetre white and learn how much more sloppy it is when it melts: this will become very important later on.

You said you are getting into glass for the joy of it; I think most of us here at LE did that too. Learn and experiment and play and you will soon know what techniques you need to polish.

Welcome to the best addiction ever!

Best regards,
Helene
I have always had trouble with Ivory and Turquoise and white each seems to have it's own issues, maybe it's just me, but I would start with just basic colors.
Thank you! Joni
Old 2013-08-11, 3:24pm

Thumbs up

Thank you for sharing this info! Very helpful!
Old 2013-08-11, 4:34pm
Super Duper

I pretty much learned by doing "Passing the Flame" in order. Hours are what is important, just do whatever is fun.

If I were to teach I would probably make people spend a while pulling stringers, twisties and cane in varying diameters. Its a fast way to learn how glass behaves.

Try to learn how to do everything by hand before switching to shapers/presses. I'll let lentils slide, but shaping cylinders/cones/bicones/olives is a useful skill and can be quite challenging.
Old 2013-08-11, 6:55pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Have fun and play with the glass. Take a rod of say black, and with no mandrel, just melt it, cool it, stretch it, let it droop, squish it, wind it on itself. Get to know your glass and your torch. Just understanding glass properties and heat will help you become a better bead maker.
Oh yea....and forget the yarn, once you've fallen in love with glass, you won't want to do anything else!

Old 2013-08-11, 9:22pm

I started about 6 months ago, and I just jumped into whatever I thought was interesting - dots, encased flowers, etc. I didn't really have formal lessons, so I relied a lot on learning from free and purchased tutorials. Again, I just purchased what I thought would be fun to do, and I learned as I went. I'm not sure that there is a wrong way to learn, just might take a little longer if you are self taught. Good luck, and have fun!

(under construction...)
Old 2013-08-12, 7:34am
one day at a time

Basic colors and 3/32" mandrels. Make 100 plain color spacers, and then make 100 more. You will have it down pat by that time. Then get yourself some 1/16" mandrels, because after the practice you have had, you won't melt through the thinner size.
Old 2013-08-12, 10:04am
Must..have..more...glass

Default Heather Trimlett's 40 Bead Challenge

I highly recommend doing Heather Trimlett's 40 bead challenge when you're starting out or even if you just want to improve your basic skills. Heather will tell you not to try to do all the beads at once but do a few each time you work, then work on other things you want to try.

Here's the link to the 40 bead challenge: http://www.heathertrimlett.com/40-beads/index.htm .