Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-01, 11:03pm

annealing will make it too soft.......I don't anneal any of my tubling, not even the 1/2" (unless the bead has really bad ends you shouldn't need to).. try a lighter hand on your first flare.....

Andrea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-02-02, 12:20am
Semi Retired

Thanks, Andrea. It had occurred to me that I am heavy handed when pressing.

|

|

|

|

Old 2008-02-02, 3:56am
as in the state

I've been toying with the idea of getting one of the tools for this since Tink's class in July....then Bronwen's class in December made me think about it again.

Then I run across this thread. I really think I need to get me one! I've been making 1/4" beads like crazy--those seem to be my favorite ones to make. I need to get more 1/4" mandrels so I can do more at a sitting. I hate having to wait overnight to be able to use the mandrels again!!

It's been asked, but I still have the question--what gauge sheet do you use if you were to cut the bead caps out of silver sheet (or copper sheet) yourself? I have the punches from Harbor Freight and at the moment don't think it would be horrendous to cut the circles myself.

-Amy
Old 2008-02-02, 7:16am
Ready to hit the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Phantom View Post
I've been toying with the idea of getting one of the tools for this since Tink's class in July....then Bronwen's class in December made me think about it again.

Then I run across this thread. I really think I need to get me one! I've been making 1/4" beads like crazy--those seem to be my favorite ones to make. I need to get more 1/4" mandrels so I can do more at a sitting. I hate having to wait overnight to be able to use the mandrels again!!

It's been asked, but I still have the question--what gauge sheet do you use if you were to cut the bead caps out of silver sheet (or copper sheet) yourself? I have the punches from Harbor Freight and at the moment don't think it would be horrendous to cut the circles myself.

-Amy
Amy, I need to know qauge too. I ordered 26 & 28 from Monsterslayer; I hope they work. And if the punch from Harbor Freight is the hand punch, it won't work. I tried. I ended going onto ebay and getting some disc cutters.
Betsy

Old 2008-02-02, 9:47am
Broken

I make my caps out of PMC.

Old 2008-02-02, 10:52am

I use pre-made sterling discs from both Rio & Monsterslayer, 22 & 24 gauge and both work & look great. Also use a Harbor Freight punch to create the holes and it works, although the thicker the metal gauge the more you really have to muscle up to punch through.

Am curious what gauge some of the PMC caps are? They look thicker (20g?) but haven't seen them in person, too hard to tell from a pic.

So another handy dandy Jim Moore tool to go along with the riveting machine would be a disc (bead cap) center hole puncher, particularly one with mm size punches. I'd sure stand in line for one of those!
Old 2008-02-03, 1:13am
as in the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsymn View Post
Amy, I need to know qauge too. I ordered 26 & 28 from Monsterslayer; I hope they work. And if the punch from Harbor Freight is the hand punch, it won't work. I tried. I ended going onto ebay and getting some disc cutters.
Betsy
I guess I should have said disc cutters. Anywho, it's definitely not a hand punch, though I think I have one of those, too....not sure why, but it had a reason when I got it. I bought the cutter during Tink's class--we had a field trip to Harbor Freight to talk about tools to use for coring beads, etc.

-Amy
Old 2008-02-03, 8:08am

Jerry at Retroglasstools has a bead cap tool for $60:

Quote:
Tired of the dapping block and all the measuring and twisting that comes with a simple bead cap? Well we have the tool for you! Our patent pending bead capping tools will aid you in making your own bead caps in just seconds! Yes, it's really that easy. (Works with 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" Silver disc)
I'm planning on getting one down the road when I actually start making money again.

Old 2008-02-04, 1:17pm

Hi Darleen,

I looked up the Retro tool you're referring to, thanks! Didn't know about that one. Any idea what size the hole is that it punches out in the center? Looks like it cuts out the same size of hole no matter which of the 3 different sizes of discs you dome with it.

??? CaroL
Old 2008-02-04, 1:33pm

No idea Carol, but if you email Jerry I'm sure he can help you out.

Old 2008-02-11, 8:50am

You are all so lucky to be living so close to the source (or should I say sources ) I'm thinking of buying one of these wonderful tools.
However, if I buy the Jim Moore tool it will cost me $ 256.47 on shipping alone, which is more then the price of the tool I can't imagine what kind of money customs will want...
Anybody here from Europe that wants to part with his/her tool...???

Old 2008-02-13, 7:37pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Question about the Jim Moore tool....did you all buy the additional dies or are you doing pretty well with the one that came with the press? I will definitely get the plastic dies to finish off the tubing but don't know that I need the medium or large dies if I only really plan to make typical pandora beads??

Anyone?

Old 2008-02-13, 7:44pm
Broken

I got all the die sizes and the rubber one. But I went overboard because it was a gift I think if you are doing pandora only you probably only need the one that comes with it, I'd get the rubber ones as they finish it so nicely.

Old 2008-02-13, 11:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by doesdoes View Post
You are all so lucky to be living so close to the source (or should I say sources ) I'm thinking of buying one of these wonderful tools.
However, if I buy the Jim Moore tool it will cost me $ 256.47 on shipping alone, which is more then the price of the tool I can't imagine what kind of money customs will want...
Jenny,
Send them an email......... There website figures out the price for UPS rates, it is much less to mail it through the mail......... Hope this helps you some....

Andrea

Old 2008-02-14, 12:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by doesdoes View Post
Same problem for me Jenny. I have been drooling at the Jim Moore site for ages, but shipping and customs are so expensive. I know there are some people in Holland trying to make a beadliner, but I would rather buy the Jim Moore tool.

|
Old 2008-02-14, 8:54am
It dazzles, it sparkles

shipping to the UK is approx $110 - $130 and i had to pay $120 customs tax too, not great but with the amount of reviews it is now happily sitting on my work bench

Old 2008-02-15, 3:12pm
It dazzles, it sparkles

and here is what i achieved with 3 casualties out of 7 - they were my fault too

my humble offerings this week, i smashed 3, these survived, but i amd reordering mandrels as we speak, this size is too big, so the metal has split. Simple fritter designs for practice

and this was the first one - a keeper me thinks

Old 2008-02-17, 7:55am
Certified Glassaholic!

Forgive me if this is redundant but after having read through just about all the threads related to BHBs, Pandora, Biagi etc. the conclusion I've come to is that 5/32" mandrels will work fine for all, correct?

Old 2008-02-17, 9:01am

Hi Yeepers - all I have is the Biagi bracelet and I found that the 5/32 and 3/16 mandrels work fine without silver coring them. When I put the silver core in them they no longer fit on the bracelet. So I have switched to using the 1/4 mandrels. From reading everything here it seems that the Biagi and Pandora are interchangeable for the charms etc. but I have no idea about the Troll bracelet. If I had lots of money I'd buy a Pandora, a Troll and one of Andrea's too - lol! Anyways, I hope that helps, or maybe clear as mud as they say?
Jenny

Old 2008-02-17, 1:06pm

I have read through the entire thread.
I am wondering if anyone with a retro tool has added bead caps with the silver core.
I love the look of the bead caps with the core. I have the coring tool from retro and have not had a ton of time to play with it. I am taking a silver class and want to make some caps out of silver sheet. When I purchased the liner, I kind of remember hearing that they were going to come up with an attachement to add bead caps? Does this sound familiar with anyone?
I don't believe that the Jim Moore tool was out yet.
Any info would be really helpful.
Stacy
Old 2008-02-18, 12:46pm
They see me rollin'...

I have the Jim Moore tool and haven't used it yet because I need to buy tubing. I'm looking at the order page here:

http://www.sfjssantafe.com/SmetalsIt...=118180#118180

and I'm in sticker shock!! $108 for 3 feet of tubing??? Seriously??

This is for this tubing:
4.5mm / 3.75mm
26 ga.
1 ft.
.8 oz

I measured my bhb's and many of them have 5mm holes; some have 4.5mm holes. I think the 5.3 mm od tubing would be too big, so I thought I would try the 4.5 mm.

DeAnne mentioned that the 5mm tubing works for 3/16" mandrels, but I don't see 5mm on the Santa Fe website. I wanted to order from there because I also need silver bezel cups, and Melissa gets hers from there.

I have 1/4" mandrels and 3/16" mandrels. I used both for these beads. Maybe I didn't have my bead release as thick as DeAnne? I do dip two times.

I'm kinda floored...so that's $36 a tube. That was a lot more than I was expecting! I guess for most of my bhb's I could get about 22-24 beads lined out of one tube...but I'm still saying "Ouch"!

Does anyone else order from Santa Fe J. Supply? What sizes do you get?

Thanks!
-Patti

-Patti
Old 2008-02-18, 1:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by swschoell View Post
I have read through the entire thread.
I am wondering if anyone with a retro tool has added bead caps with the silver core.
I love the look of the bead caps with the core. I have the coring tool from retro and have not had a ton of time to play with it. I am taking a silver class and want to make some caps out of silver sheet. When I purchased the liner, I kind of remember hearing that they were going to come up with an attachement to add bead caps? Does this sound familiar with anyone?
I don't believe that the Jim Moore tool was out yet.
Any info would be really helpful.
Stacy
Yes. That's in the works for Jerry: a full system that uses the liner to hold a cap in place. And BTW, responding to an earlier thread, his cap punches DON'T all make the same sized hole.
Old 2008-02-18, 1:32pm

Just to let you know, if you get that tubing (4.5mm OD/3.75mm ID) they will not fit over the Pandora or Biagi bracelets. You would need the next size up (5.03mm OD/ 4.3mm ID). I just ordered some and it was $27 a foot, which is actually less than what I'd paid at Metalliferous for tubing that turned out too narrow for me.

Amy

Old 2008-02-18, 1:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicfire View Post
I have the Jim Moore tool and haven't used it yet because I need to buy tubing. I'm looking at the order page here:

This is for this tubing:
4.5mm / 3.75mm
26 ga.
1 ft.
.8 oz

I measured my bhb's and many of them have 5mm holes; some have 4.5mm holes. I think the 5.3 mm od tubing would be too big, so I thought I would try the 4.5 mm.

DeAnne mentioned that the 5mm tubing works for 3/16" mandrels, but I don't see 5mm on the Santa Fe website. I wanted to order from there because I also need silver bezel cups, and Melissa gets hers from there.

I have 1/4" mandrels and 3/16" mandrels. I used both for these beads. Maybe I didn't have my bead release as thick as DeAnne? I do dip two times.

I'm kinda floored...so that's $36 a tube. That was a lot more than I was expecting! I guess for most of my bhb's I could get about 22-24 beads lined out of one tube...but I'm still saying "Ouch"!

Thanks!
-Patti

Yes, I order from Sante Fe J. Supply and Rio Grande and Monsterslayer. Yes, silver costs almost 4x what it was 4 years ago. How can we wholesale our wares? I really don't know. I am very concerned about the future for artist and artisans.

Old 2008-02-18, 2:20pm
They see me rollin'...

Thank you so much for letting me know!! I hadn't ordered it yet. I guess I'll go ahead and get some. If my bead holes are a little too small I guess I can ream them out a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Just to let you know, if you get that tubing (4.5mm OD/3.75mm ID) they will not fit over the Pandora or Biagi bracelets. You would need the next size up (5.03mm OD/ 4.3mm ID). I just ordered some and it was $27 a foot, which is actually less than what I'd paid at Metalliferous for tubing that turned out too narrow for me.

-Patti
Old 2008-02-18, 2:59pm
They see me rollin'...

Phew, I just ordered some--got the 5.3. Strange that the 4.5 would be more expensive--same gauge and all!

I'll just have to add the cost of the silver into the price for the beads. It's a good thing I'm not doing this for a living, I guess... Though I'd like to be.

Thanks,
Patti

-Patti
Old 2008-02-18, 9:42pm

Quote:
Phew, I just ordered some--got the 5.3. Strange that the 4.5 would be more expensive--same gauge and all!

I'll just have to add the cost of the silver into the price for the beads. It's a good thing I'm not doing this for a living, I guess... Though I'd like to be.

Thanks,
Patti
They are out of stock on the 5.3. I ordered Sat night and was told today it is out of stock until Friday(?).
Old 2008-02-18, 10:04pm

Has any one tried to use Jim"s tool on blown beads , where the wall thickness is going to be thinner that you standard bead? will it fracture the bead? I assume that the down ward pressure placed to flaring the tube is exerting force to just the tube? I know I can make the holes to the desired OD of the tube, but being that the inside of the bead is blown there is no stopping the tube from bending, nothing to keep it straight if need be.
Murf

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-02-18, 10:46pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
Has any one tried to use Jim"s tool on blown beads , where the wall thickness is going to be thinner that you standard bead? will it fracture the bead? I assume that the down ward pressure placed to flaring the tube is exerting force to just the tube? I know I can make the holes to the desired OD of the tube, but being that the inside of the bead is blown there is no stopping the tube from bending, nothing to keep it straight if need be.
Murf
I have the Moore tool and was thinking of trying the same thing...I'm probably going to "sacrifice" one of my mandrels, and cut a few small pieces that I'll try sliding into the tube to give it stability, just for the riveting process - I'll slide them out when the rivet is completed, but this might take some of the pressure and stress off of both the tube and the hollow bead. What do you think of this idea?

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-02-18, 11:04pm
Superkitty

Quote:

This is for this tubing:
4.5mm / 3.75mm
26 ga.
1 ft.
.8 oz

Thanks!
-Patti
In the past, I've ordered the 118025 for beads made with 1/4" mandrels. http://www.sfjssantafe.com/SmetalsIt...=118025#118025
For some reason, it is much cheaper than what you were looking at "only" about $65 for 2.4 ounces.