No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-19, 4:48pm
Lampworkaholic!

Default Lampwork Cane COE Question

I'm looking at the OCR site and I see they have Raspberry Opal in 96 and 104.

The 96 is $13.93 bundle (approx. 1/4 kilo) and the 104 is $21.76 bundle.

Given the price difference and the fact that I have plenty of both lots of Raku, System 96 and 96 frits as well as 104 soft glass to work this glass with ...

Can anyone advise me how to decide whether to get one or the other?

I'm tempted to go with the less expensive 96 but I'm wondering if there's a catch ... something about the color that will be different ... ?

I've had some 96 cane (example gold amethyst) that looked gorgeous in the rod (clear lovely blue-purple) but no so much in a bead (black).

Help?

Liz
Old 2008-09-19, 5:06pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
I'm looking at the OCR site and I see they have Raspberry Opal in 96 and 104.

The 96 is $13.93 bundle (approx. 1/4 kilo) and the 104 is $21.76 bundle.

Given the price difference and the fact that I have plenty of both lots of Raku, System 96 and 96 frits as well as 104 soft glass to work this glass with ...

Can anyone advise me how to decide whether to get one or the other?

I'm tempted to go with the less expensive 96 but I'm wondering if there's a catch ... something about the color that will be different ... ?

I've had some 96 cane (example gold amethyst) that looked gorgeous in the rod (clear lovely blue-purple) but no so much in a bead (black).

Help?

Liz
Assuming the 104 is also a 1/4 kilo, I'd guess the higher cost was a combination of the low US dollar and high shipping costs from Italy. Glass has a low value to weight ratio, so freight is a significant part of the cost. I'm shipping stuff to Australia and Europe where the freight doubles the cost. The US dollar has dropped about 1/3rd of it's value relative to the EURO, so that creates a 1/3rd increase in cost.

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-09-19, 5:59pm

You are referring to the Reichenbach, correct? I have the opal raspberry in both the 96 and the 104, and I don't notice much of a difference at all between them. I bought it in 96 first because they didn't have it in the 104 yet, and I just love the color! When they came out with the 104 version I got it, because I like to work with 104 the most, and I didn't have to worry about ratios. If you use 96 a lot, I'd go with the cheaper version. Either way, I think you will like the color.

Amy

Old 2008-09-19, 7:01pm
Glass-aholic

I know that the 104 line is really still new. It is less than a year i think... (or has time flown!! ) anyways... its my favorite color!!!! It just goes with everything!!!! I would use whichever you use more as far as coe. (BUT GET IT, it is beautiful!!!)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-09-19, 11:49pm
Fancy Mammal

Probably their 104 colors are more expensive in general? Having more to do with the fact that they have recent development costs for adapting the COE and that is sells in much lower volume. Just a guess.
Old 2008-09-20, 4:53am

Since the 96 colors are also used for offhand glass blowing(furnace work) might they have more lead in them and therefore be prone to reduction? Richenbach makes a lot of colored glass and a lot of it has lead in the formula.
Sabrina