Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-01-23, 3:33pm
Fugitive from the Dogstar

Default Curse the Shards!!!!

Hi there,

I'm having issues with shards breaking when I place them on the bead. It's an instant reaction, touch the bead with some shard and crack, little pieces go flying, followed by lots of cursing by me. Thankfully none have flown in my face! I know it's something that I'm doing wrong, it's not the product.

Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong? When I go to apply the shard I heat the bead where I want it to go first, and I also waive the shard a couple of times really quickly in the flame before placing it. Then, I touch the shard to the bead and either it sticks or cracks...then again with the cursing.

I'm working with silvered shards so maybe that has something to do with it? I wouldn't think so but you never know. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Carol
Old 2014-01-23, 3:53pm

Try working further out in the flame when you bring the bead back into the heat. It's too hot, too fast bringing the bead into the flames if it's doing that.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2014-01-23, 4:34pm
Denise

I don't like to wave a shard in the flame, it's too hard to judge how much heat is in it. I hold the shard in the back of the flame, slowly bringing it closer as I heat the spot on the bead, you know you're too close it you get any movement. Once you've heated the spot and the shard has an even heat you can apply it and it shouldn't crack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-01-23, 5:01pm

Sounds like either the bead, or the shard, or both are too cool. When I add a shard to a bead the bead is warm enough for the shard to stick to it, and the shard has to be warm enough as well, either by waiving it in the back of the flame for a bit, or holding it near the back of the flame until it can warm up. Get just the tip slightly soft in the flame and touch it to a warm bead, Then use the outer edges of the flame to help you gently press the shard onto the bead. Use a marver to help push the softened shard onto the bead then a soft flame to finish.
Old 2014-01-23, 8:48pm

Silvered shards are also very brittle. It takes a very light touch to place and let go with the tweezers.
ESC
Old 2014-01-23, 10:45pm

If I couldn't improve my skills, I know I could improve my cussing!

Barbara
Old 2014-01-24, 1:57am
Artistically Absorbed

you might try putting them in the kiln when you start it up before torching. I use my kiln a lot for heating up components, I bet it would help the shard shocking. you can use a heated rod to barely touch the corner and apply it off the rod.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-01-24, 2:53am

Are you trying to put the whole shard on at once? I heat a spot on the bead, heat the very edge of the shard, attach that edge and then gently heat along the curve of the shard so it softens enough to push down onto the bead. Then you can blast it as much as you like.

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-01-24, 6:08am
Another band aid pleeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalorlo View Post
Are you trying to put the whole shard on at once? I heat a spot on the bead, heat the very edge of the shard, attach that edge and then gently heat along the curve of the shard so it softens enough to push down onto the bead. Then you can blast it as much as you like.
I do it this way as well, and have never had a problem. Once that first edge is well attached I sort of roll along letting the flame heat the next prt of the shard as I marver it into place or let it just shape itself for a more organic style.

That said, sometimes a good stream of curse words is good for the soul!
Old 2014-01-24, 7:28am
Lampworkaholic!

Are you making your own shards? What glass are the shards?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Tags
shards, silver