No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2005-06-23, 6:08pm
I'm a lilac!

Default Home sweet shack

This is the abridged pictorial story of how my backyard junk storage area was transformed into Mama Lola's Bead Birthing Center. In the first pics, you can see how horrible and filthy it is, which is why I was letting my baby play in there, of course. Then in the fourth pic, my electrician Alex is showing me how to install breakers. "Don't touch this" is what he's saying. In the fifth pic, all the junk is gone and I even swept.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-06-23, 6:17pm
I'm a lilac!

The shed goes from ghastly to slightly less ghastly... I removed the double doors (which are still in my yard, preventing certain dogs from escaping under the fence), framed in a doorway, laid down Hardy board, ran wiring, hung the door, started to shingle... it's starting to look like it might become something useful.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kalera; 2005-06-23 at 6:21pm.
Old 2005-06-23, 6:28pm
I'm a lilac!

Things really start to transform; first insulation, then sheetrock, the big squirrel-cage blower (I initially bought it for the garage; it's overkill in this little shed), paint, and tile.
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-23, 6:34pm
I'm a lilac!

Moving time! It took me the better part of a week to move my studio out of the basement, but miraculously, it all fit but the big kiln. The workbench is covered in stainless steel. To the left is my glass rack, a small library card file with frit in it, my stereo and my mandrels. To the right is a shelf for frit, and two annealers. There are two oxygen concentrators under the workbench. The last pic is a torch-eye view of the ventilation; the blower is entirely boxed in behind sheet rock, with a ten-inch sheet rock baffle. The mirror is so people don't sneak up and scare the crap out of me when they open the door.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kalera; 2005-06-23 at 6:36pm.
Old 2005-06-23, 6:35pm
Professional Bead Pimp

Kalera,

Nice to see your studio. WOW, you did way more than I would have to it though.

One thing I'd done differently, I'd kept the toilet as my workstation seat, and called it my "creation station" for inspiration, as I get some of my best ideas sittin' on the "throne".

Bill

Last edited by BillBrach; 2005-06-23 at 6:39pm.
Old 2005-06-23, 6:38pm
I'm a lilac!

LOL Bill! I got a little ambitious with it... the only thing I didn't do (and will regret) is jack it up and put it on a cinder-block foundation. I'll have to take evrything out to do it at a later date, if I decide to.

Old 2005-06-23, 6:42pm
Professional Bead Pimp

Now that the rest of the pictures have loaded, I REALLY like the conifers wrapping the shed, and especially like the clear glass door to look out of for day dreaming.

I'M JEALOUS, you're hired IF you ever come to Florida !!
Old 2005-06-23, 6:42pm
I'm a lilac!

Oh, one last pic... my shed dog, Nikko! He sleeps on the "porch" while I'm working, unless it starts to rain. I'll be putting a porch roof on so my good buddy can stay where he wants to be... near me.

Two more details; the whole transformation cost me about $250 and a sixpack of beer (for Alex) because I did almost all the work (besides installing the breakers) myself, and shopped for materials at a nearby salvage center, and yes, Dale, the fire extinguisher is there... it just didn't make it into the pics because it's by the door.
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-23, 6:48pm
koregon

wow Kalera! cool cool...how did you get that dog to smile like that??

nice studio!

Old 2005-06-23, 6:51pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrach
Now that the rest of the pictures have loaded, I REALLY like the conifers wrapping the shed, and especially like the clear glass door to look out of for day dreaming.

I'M JEALOUS, you're hired IF you ever come to Florida !!
Hehehe thanks Bill! Florida, hmmm... maybe one of these bleak Northwest winters you can talk me into it!

It's a big change from being in my basement... I was starting to turn into one of the Mole People.

Old 2005-06-23, 6:53pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye
wow Kalera! cool cool...how did you get that dog to smile like that??

nice studio!
Thanks Kaye! He smiles like that all the time... he's a happy boy, and always at my feet or as close as he can get to it. If I roll my chair back right now I'd run into him!

Old 2005-06-23, 7:37pm
I fart diamonds

What size shed do you have? I'm about to build one, but can't decide how big (or small) I want to go.

-s
Old 2005-06-23, 9:14pm
Plumb

Wow, Kalera! Nice studio! The organization blows me away - not that organized, myself. Oh well, we can't have it all, can we?? LOL! And I'm proud of your hard work 'cause I know how hard it is!

Nice touch with the mirror, too. Someone's always coming in my back door scaring the $hit out of me, and it's usually in the middle of a (once was) nice bead!!!

BTW, cute little sweetie pie in the pictures!

Smiles,
Priss

Old 2005-06-24, 4:24am
Professional Bead Pimp

Default Size DOES matter !!

Shawnette,

Yes, it DOES !! You cannot have too big of a shed 'cause you WILL find stuff to fill it with. I'd imagine that a 12' x 12' though, would be about the minimum.

Bill
Old 2005-06-24, 6:19am

Kalera you have done a great job. You are Mrs. Handypants! Thanks for sharing.

Laurie
Old 2005-06-24, 8:48am
Crazy Horse Girl

Hey Girlfriend I love how you finshed it off. What happen to my work chair now theirs no room for you to teach any more I took a class with Kalera and she rocks You did a great job Gina

Old 2005-06-25, 10:03pm
I'm a lilac!

Gina honey! Glad you found this place!!! I'm moving the teaching studio into the basement... sooo much more room, wish I'd thought of it earlier (though then there wouldn't be that cute pic of everyone all in a row qith your butts practically touching).

Old 2005-06-27, 4:20am

very cool shed Kalera ,, you rock sister

R-118
Old 2005-06-27, 11:36am
Princess of Pi

you're so organized! nice studio
Old 2005-06-27, 5:49pm
Fusing Glass

Nice studio kalera and wow! wanna come organize mine too?
Old 2005-06-28, 7:17am
Crazy Horse Girl

Well bummer I loved your cool play house it was so fun and cozy... Guess all have to come and play again in your new shop when is your next class ?? I had such a great time and boy my head is still spinning from all that information you put in my head Hey next time you go to Mt Saint Helen's stop by my place I don't live far from their. Once again great pad you have their. Gina

Old 2005-07-07, 10:10am
JOAT, Master of None

AWESOME,,,, soo organized.
Love it.
Old 2005-08-16, 6:19pm
JOAT, Master of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera
Oh, one last pic... my shed dog, Nikko! He sleeps on the "porch" while I'm working, unless it starts to rain. I'll be putting a porch roof on so my good buddy can stay where he wants to be... near me.

Two more details; the whole transformation cost me about $250 and a sixpack of beer (for Alex) because I did almost all the work (besides installing the breakers) myself, and shopped for materials at a nearby salvage center, and yes, Dale, the fire extinguisher is there... it just didn't make it into the pics because it's by the door.

And a DOG too?? You have everything don't you! That's an amazing work space.
Old 2005-08-16, 8:07pm
Resident Luny

so inviting! I love the floor, and the beams. I have a boring motion light outside my studio, no style!

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2005-08-17, 5:33pm
das gut!

The peachy walls, the beamed ceilings, the chandelier... shacky chic!!
Great vision.
Old 2005-08-17, 9:55pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks you guys! Now let me tell you the down side of having such an awesome shed dog... the air intake vent is just to the right of the front door, and Nikko always lays with his head pointing to the left. You may be able to see this coming...

Yeah, yesterday I don't know what he ate, but OH my GOD every three or four minutes the whole shed REEKED of dog fart! Ugh!

Old 2005-08-18, 6:45am
Mary Lockwood

Kalera, I was a maniac checking updates on your site as you posted pictures of the progression there. It was a fantastic transformation to watch.

I LOVE what you did and I love even more that you did it yourself. A girl after my own heart.

Great space!!!

~~Mary

Old 2005-08-18, 11:40pm

My male shepherd Bubba sits outside my shop and guards me, if it rains he gets under it.. but he walks me in the dark back to the house. He brought me an armadillo the other night, dropped it at my feet it ran in my shed with me letting him have the shed, bubba ran in knocked stuff over , armadillo ran out and I ran back in... last I saw bubba had him again...lmao.. was NOT funny at 1AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera