TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2011-03-21, 12:01am

Default Hothead Help

I am new to lampworking. I just got my hothead set up and it is connected to bulk propane. My first beads came out black. They should have been blue and green. What am I doing wrong? My ones I made at class using mapp gas turned out fine.

Is my flame adjusted wrong? How do I know if my flame is set right? My Passing the Flame book by Corina doesn't have a hothead flame example.

Should my propane tank be opened all the way?

Am I working too close to the torch?

If anyone could help I would be very appreciative!

Thanks in advance
Old 2011-03-21, 10:48am

Hi LiaH...

I would start with working further out in the flame...seems to me you are getting too much propane and if they still are turning black or gray, then you need to lower your flame a bit.

Another great book is Making Glass Beads by Cindy Jenkins.

I hope this helps...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kathie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-03-21, 6:14pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Also if flame is big and bushier, turn it down some till you have central cone a sharp pinpoint... You may have to much unburned fuel in flame ... Also moving out in flame may help... When you changed fuels the flame "chemistry" changed, there for the "sweet spot: inflame moved....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-03-21, 8:50pm

Dale & Kathie thank you both for replying. I am going to go try your suggestions. I am hoping for better success! My kids both thought my first beads were rocks. Not quite the look I was going for.
Old 2011-03-21, 9:02pm

Further in the flame and turn the flame down. I have written (not as many images) tutorials on my site from when I taught on a HH, I've been told they're helpful. The link is in my signature.

Have fun, be safe!
Nikki

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2011-03-24, 12:25pm
Oinky Oink!

I just got my bulk tank few weeks back and had the same problem. My clear was gray and couldn't even see through at all..
I had to move out further in the flame for sure, at least an inch out from the blue pointy part.
Also, don't turn the propane tank all the way open. I also don't open hot head all the way either but that might not matter.. Like Dale had mentioned, too much gas, not enough oxygen kinda scenario...
Don't give up and good Luck!
Christy
Old 2011-04-12, 9:20pm

Thank you all for all of your suggestions and help. My beads have moved from black rocks to colored beads . I was working to close to the flame and I had my flame turned up too far. I am now heading in the right direction. Thanks again so much

Lia
Old 2011-04-13, 6:55pm
GabysGlassWorks

Sounds like you've already figured out what the problem was but figured I'd chime in anyways since I work on a HH as well. I have my bulk tank turned on all the way but my torch is low. Once I've lit my torch I turn the knob so my flame almost goes out and then I gently open it up a bit further. This has worked well for me. As well as working further away from the blue cone than what most of the books say. I agree with Christy in that you have to be at least an inch out from the tip of the cone. Anyways, glad to read your making colourful beads now. Happy torching!!
Gaby
Old 2011-08-31, 5:52pm
Confused as usual

OK All my beads came out scummy today . I am using propane #1 lb. tank I tried all the suggestions here and still scum , would switching to mapp work better ?? Less scum/soot? it is so disappointing
Old 2011-09-01, 11:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazarra View Post
OK All my beads came out scummy today . I am using propane #1 lb. tank I tried all the suggestions here and still scum , would switching to mapp work better ?? Less scum/soot? it is so disappointing
Sounds like the torch is reducing. Unfortunately you really cant control the flame chemistry on a hothead.
Old 2011-09-01, 11:45pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Working on a hot head I used Chemtane and I feel like it burned much cleaner. It was still slow going but cleaner.
Old 2011-09-02, 7:36am
Confused as usual

Chemtane? I haven't heard of that where would I find this ?
Old 2011-09-02, 8:46am

Time for a BIG GRL torch?
Old 2011-09-02, 9:04am
Formerly Bakerman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaH View Post
Thank you all for all of your suggestions and help. My beads have moved from black rocks to colored beads . I was working to close to the flame and I had my flame turned up too far. I am now heading in the right direction. Thanks again so much

Lia
Glad to hear. I was going to chime in but wanted to read first. I didn't spend long on a hot head, but i have tons of respect for people who use a hot head. Once you learn what you're doing, you can make some BEAUTIFUL things with a hot head that can't be made with a propane/oxy torch.

Old 2011-09-02, 9:41am
Confused as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Time for a BIG GRL torch?
I have a minor and everything I need I just have to convince my DH that it is safe
Old 2011-09-02, 10:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
Once you learn what you're doing, you can make some BEAUTIFUL things with a hot head that can't be made with a propane/oxy torch.
Such as?
Old 2011-09-02, 11:25pm

Quote:
I have a minor and everything I need I just have to convince my DH that it is safe
Anything we can do to help with that?
Old 2011-09-03, 5:19am
Now part of the Dark Side

A compressed oxygen tank is just as safe as a compressed CO2 tank for a beer or wine tap system. You just need to follow good safety practice, namely when the cover is off of the tank chain it to the wall. Even my beer fridge has a bracket for the CO2 bottle so it can't tip over.
Old 2011-09-06, 1:58pm
Confused as usual

o2queen are we to assume this is your company since you are posting the link on all the threads?Because you don't even sell oxycons ???
Old 2011-09-06, 2:16pm

Quote:
o2queen are we to assume this is your company since you are posting the link on all the threads?Because you don't even sell oxycons ???
Smells like SPAM, huh?
Old 2011-09-06, 2:26pm
Confused as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Smells like SPAM, huh?
Does to me
Old 2011-09-06, 3:05pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Propane is a dirty fuel compared to propylene. Unfortunately.
On my HH, propylene fuel allows me to work much closer to the torch, with far, far, cleaner results, much more quickly. But at $22 a cannister, it's a luxury reserved for special glasses which need a hotter flame, such as silver glasses.
So 99.999999 % of the time, I'm sucking it up like a good girl with propane.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-09-07, 12:43pm
Oinky Oink!

Jazarra- try a 1 lb canister of MapPro. It's basically propylene and I am sure you will like it much better than propane.
Chemtane is basically propane with additives to burn hotter. You can get it in bulk from some propane dealers. I have been using this for a while and really like it.

Di- $22 bucks... holy cow!!! it's gotta be a very very very special glass to use that gas... .00000001% of time?

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-09-07, 12:55pm
Confused as usual

OK I switched to mappro ... still dirty beads could I be working to close to the torch ? I thought I had to work in the bluer flame closer to the torch ?? Uugh... will I ever find my sweet spot ??
Old 2011-09-07, 12:57pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Sweet spot is usually at the tip of the second blue bit. The outer blue cone.

SRA# P107
Old 2011-09-07, 2:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspiggy View Post

Di- $22 bucks... holy cow!!! it's gotta be a very very very special glass to use that gas... .00000001% of time?

For a 1lb canister? Wow, that is expensive! Does it make the bead for you too?
Old 2011-09-07, 2:17pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Yep, it bloody should!
But, ooooh lucky me - I get them for $20 if I buy a whole case of 'em.

I just don't understand why we can't get this stuff in bulk here. I've done my homework, and come up with zip.

SRA# P107
Old 2011-09-07, 3:27pm

Essie, do you have a local bulk gas supplier? I just checked with our local Praxair supplier here and they do supply Propylene in refillable bulk tanks.
Old 2011-09-07, 3:29pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Thanks, Larry - in Australia it's a whole lot different

SRA# P107