Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-02-04, 10:40am
Formerly SirWatson

Default Are Not All Streaky Pinks Created Equal?

A while ago, I bought a 1/4 pound of streaky pink from one of our fellow LE'ers. I was so excited to actually own some of this rare glass! Well, I just got around to making some beads last night out of the streaky pink, and to my surprise, it's pale and not the bubblegum pink at all! In fact, it's lighter than the few rods of dark pink I have!

I know streaky pink rods are supposed to have a line of dark pink running through them and these do. (it was the first thing I checked)

I also have a short of streaky pink that Deanna Chase gave me at the WC Cabin retreat last year (thanks again, Deanna!). I've barely used it since I didn't want to run out of it...and it's definitely the real thing. All of the beads I've made using that short are a yummy bubblegum pink color.

Anyway, I've compared that short to the rods I recently purchased, and the first thing I noticed is that the rods are a little darker in color than the short I got from Deanna. However, the line of rubino/dark pink that runs through the rods is lighter than the short.

So...are the rods I purchased (and paid a pretty penny for) not really streaky pink or are there variations in the batches? I tried striking the color, using a cool flame...everything I can think of...and I ended up with light pink. It's really frustrating since I paid a lot of money for this glass.

Since pictures are worth a 1000 words, I've attached a couple of my new rods compared to the short I got from Deanna. In both pictures, the full rod is on the left and the short is on the right.

Was I screwed or did I end up with a "light" batch? Either way, I'm not happy.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<><
Old 2006-02-04, 11:04am
Nah, not really...;)

From my own limited exerience Streaky Pink rods are not round, more oblong or oval, like the one on the right in the 2nd picture.

Here is a picture of my Streaky Pink, where you can see the shape of the rods in the middle and then compare them to the other rods around them which are more circular or round.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-02-04, 11:10am
lov'in life!!!

Ooooh Carrie...I am soooo jealous girl! Look at all that streaky pink I got a few rods from Kandice that I hoard! hehe

Karla, I wish I new more about Streaky Pink but I don't. The rods that I got from Kandice (thanks Kandice) look like the ones that you got from Deanna and Greg. The new ones look like they have more yellow in them. I do know that to get a really good bubblegum pink, I had to strike, restrike and strike again, lol.

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2006-02-04, 11:10am
Formerly SirWatson

Carrie - I did notice the shape thing with my short of streaky pink. It was hard to photograph since it wouldn't sit upright with the stripe towards the camera. I had to hold it. The other rod, however, is pretty round.

Could it be that the tell-tale sign of streaky pink really isn't the rubino stripe running through it?

Krissa - The few times I've used my short of streaky pink, I didn't have to do anything different to get the bubblegum pink to come out. It just happened.

<><

Last edited by Solana; 2006-02-04 at 11:12am.
Old 2006-02-04, 11:17am
lov'in life!!!

Hmmm, that's interesting. I had to really strike it to get the color to a bubblegum pink but it did get there. I do know that there was a color out there called Misty Rose and it was a really, really light pink that had a Rubino stripe running through it also. It never struck to a bubblegum pink though.

Old 2006-02-04, 11:17am

The one on the left looks like regular 260 to me. Some of them do have a visible line of a darker shade, but the color of the rods I have are peach and the SP I now have very little of are a much lighter definite pink with the line. And more oval too. I'm no expert on the stuff, but I've found to get a good bubblegum color is to wind all the glass on the mandrel and be done with it and then strike in a cool flame for awhile. A few times I tried to add a little glass here and there, I had a booger of a time with white spots.

Old 2006-02-04, 11:18am
Nah, not really...;)

I am a glass addict!

I don't know but for some reason the rod on the left in your picture, looks like the one to the left of my Streaky Pink? See the line or dot of color?

I asked Kandice, thank you, if mine was the 'real' thing and just looking at the photo she said 'yes' by the shape of the rods. I was going to mail her a rod to be sure, and she said I didn't need to, the proof was in the picture.

I had a back injury and laid off glass for a long time, and so I didn't know that I had the infamous Streaky Pink, it was just luck that I ordered some from Frantz when I was placing an order. You know how it goes.......well I might as well get more glass to save some money

I'd be happy to send you a rod to check out? Let me know.

Old 2006-02-04, 11:22am
Formerly SirWatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameDancer
Hmmm, that's interesting. I had to really strike it to get the color to a bubblegum pink but it did get there. I do know that there was a color out there called Misty Rose and it was a really, really light pink that had a Rubino stripe running through it also. It never struck to a bubblegum pink though.
I find that with most striking colors, that if I work them in the flame like normal (and never get them too hot) that they just strike for me. Maybe I'm lucky in that regard!

Anyway, your suggestion of Misty Rose sounds like it may be what I have. The rod is a definite pink color and has a light stripe of rubino running through it. I tried striking it several times with no luck. I'm looking at a bead I made with it right now...and am getting mad. I paid a little more than $60 for a 1/4 and got screwed.

Should I ask for my money back? It's been a few months since I made the purchase. Still though...that's a lot of money for....essentially nothing.

<><
Old 2006-02-04, 11:25am
Formerly SirWatson

Carrie - Maybe you, too, have the Misty Rose Krissa was talking about (next to your streaky pink). I have a feeling that Krissa's right about my glass...that Misty Rose is what I have.

Anyway, thanks for your offer to send me a rod. I'd love to accept it...but at least let me pay you for it!

<><
Old 2006-02-04, 11:30am
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWatson
Carrie - Maybe you, too, have the Misty Rose Krissa was talking about (next to your streaky pink). I have a feeling that Krissa's right about my glass...that Misty Rose is what I have.

Anyway, thanks for your offer to send me a rod. I'd love to accept it...but at least let me pay you for it!

I am going down to the shop in a few minutes, I will check the number and name on that other pink.

And no way do I want any money! PM your address and I'll get it in the mail Monday!

Old 2006-02-04, 11:36am
lov'in life!!!

Karla, I think that the Misty Rose, which was a really old color was #261 before the Angelina Rose(that may be the wrong name) became that number. I got it from JoDel when I ordered my first glass rods back in the summer of last year. It was lighter than what you have pictured, almost a white with the streak. I don't have any left, or I would snap a picture of it for you. I could see if I still have a short. I'll do that and if I can find it, take a pic.

Old 2006-02-04, 11:56am

I took a picture too just for another shot, and no, Karla, I guess the one on the left doesn't look like regular 260 after all. Time for a nap and nevermind. Rosanne Roseannadanna.

Old 2006-02-04, 12:03pm
Formerly SirWatson

Thanks for the picture, Rebecca. The rods I have are darker than the 260/Light Pink, however, they are lighter than some of the 256/Dark Pink rods I have. The finished beads look about like dark pink.

Krissa - These rods are darker than what you described and are not white. They look like dark pink rods, so maybe that's what they are.

Have any of you seen dark pink rods with a rubino stripe running through them?

Thanks,
Karla

<><
Old 2006-02-04, 12:07pm
boro color bender

I've got a bunch of the 261 with a dark line running down it. It's a good thing I'm honest, because I could have taken some peoples money for nuttin. I have a sneaky feeling some people weren't as honest or really didn't know the difference. The streaky pink I've got is pale pink... I hope you didn't get the imposter.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-02-04, 12:27pm
Formerly SirWatson

I think the person who sold it to me really didn't know the difference. I'm going to PM them now to let them know that what they've got is not streaky pink. It sucks that I was screwed, but maybe someone else won't be because of what I found out.

<><
Old 2006-02-04, 1:41pm
Nah, not really...;)

I have some interesting findings to show you!
Let me go and upload all the pictures.

Old 2006-02-04, 2:00pm
A True Woofer

As far as I know, there was only one batch of SP, so it should be all the same. One thing Kandice says about other pinks is that they are too "peachy" for her, and what you got looks "peachy" to me compared to the real SP.

Old 2006-02-04, 2:10pm
Glassy Lady

Quote:
I think the person who sold it to me really didn't know the difference. I'm going to PM them now to let them know that what they've got is not streaky pink. It sucks that I was screwed, but maybe someone else won't be because of what I found out.

Please tell me you didn't get it from me, I've been selling streaky pink, but I know I've got the real thing, streak down one side and oval in cross-section.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-02-04, 2:25pm
Formerly SirWatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm
Please tell me you didn't get it from me, I've been selling streaky pink, but I know I've got the real thing, streak down one side and oval in cross-section.
Don't worry Alex...it wasn't from you.

<><
Old 2006-02-04, 2:27pm
Formerly SirWatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT
As far as I know, there was only one batch of SP, so it should be all the same. One thing Kandice says about other pinks is that they are too "peachy" for her, and what you got looks "peachy" to me compared to the real SP.
Ellen - You're correct that this pink has a more peachy tone to it. I checked out Jo-Del's website and saw that they still have Rosa D'Angelo for sale. After looking at the picture on her site and talking with you all, I believe that is what I have. A pale pink with a peach hue.

<><
Old 2006-02-04, 2:29pm
Nah, not really...;)

Let me start out by saying, that these pictures suck! But I don't want to go back down to the shop and get the rods and take pics again You'll just have to trust me.
I started looking at the Streaky Pink and the Pink beside it from my first picture posted and found a lot of similarities in some of the rods. Then I found 2 tagged Light Pink 260, so they were from different orders from different years actually. They are totally different in color and diameter. I also have a tagged Steaky Pink.

Ok so long story short..............
the old 260 that I have is what are the larger oblong rods of what I thought was Streaky Pink. The rods are larger in diameter and actually the 'dot' on the end of the rod is more distinct.
The 'real' Streaky Pink is oblong or oval w/ a more faint 'dot' on the ends, smaller diameter and then the proof was in the melting.
It is obvious!

So in summary, I was wrong and others could be too
Melting is the only way to be sure!
I only have about 1/2 of the Streaky that I thought I did, but I sure am glad I didn't sell any

Streaky, New Lt. Pink 260, Old Lt. Pink

All 3 melted, can YOU spot the Streaky?

Old 260 & Streaky paddles

The ends of Old Lt. Pink on left and Streaky on right

Old 2006-02-04, 2:30pm

I'll chime in.
The darker/yellowish rods don't like streaky pink to me at all. They look like 260. The lighter ones look like Streaky Pink. I have about 6 versions of light pink, Streaky being one of them. I have some like the 260-ish version you have, and it is very light, and doesn't strike anything but a pale pinkish peach.
It's darn hard to tell with photos - especially given that different monitors show different colors and all cameras are different. I have asked people to send me an inch or two of what they have so I can tell for sure - that's the only way I can be absolutely sure of what you have.
I have been kind of labelled as the expert, but I am human and do make mistakes. But I am usually pretty darn sure when I have it in front of me.

I am not sure who sold you the pink, but if I was the one who made the "diagnosis", I humbly apologize if I got any of it wrong.

Quote:
A while ago, I bought a 1/4 pound of streaky pink from one of our fellow LE'ers. I was so excited to actually own some of this rare glass! Well, I just got around to making some beads last night out of the streaky pink, and to my surprise, it's pale and not the bubblegum pink at all! In fact, it's lighter than the few rods of dark pink I have!

I know streaky pink rods are supposed to have a line of dark pink running through them and these do. (it was the first thing I checked)

I also have a short of streaky pink that Deanna Chase gave me at the WC Cabin retreat last year (thanks again, Deanna!). I've barely used it since I didn't want to run out of it...and it's definitely the real thing. All of the beads I've made using that short are a yummy bubblegum pink color.

Anyway, I've compared that short to the rods I recently purchased, and the first thing I noticed is that the rods are a little darker in color than the short I got from Deanna. However, the line of rubino/dark pink that runs through the rods is lighter than the short.

So...are the rods I purchased (and paid a pretty penny for) not really streaky pink or are there variations in the batches? I tried striking the color, using a cool flame...everything I can think of...and I ended up with light pink. It's really frustrating since I paid a lot of money for this glass.

Since pictures are worth a 1000 words, I've attached a couple of my new rods compared to the short I got from Deanna. In both pictures, the full rod is on the left and the short is on the right.

Was I screwed or did I end up with a "light" batch? Either way, I'm not happy.

Old 2006-02-04, 2:32pm

Actually, Streaky Pink's stripe is always darker and more pink. 260 and 261 sometimes have a pink stripe, but it's paler and more brownish. At least in my experience.

Darn near all of the Streaky I have is mishapen in some way, but some are more oblong than others.

Quote:
Carrie - I did notice the shape thing with my short of streaky pink. It was hard to photograph since it wouldn't sit upright with the stripe towards the camera. I had to hold it. The other rod, however, is pretty round.

Could it be that the tell-tale sign of streaky pink really isn't the rubino stripe running through it?

Krissa - The few times I've used my short of streaky pink, I didn't have to do anything different to get the bubblegum pink to come out. It just happened.

Old 2006-02-04, 2:33pm

Yep, the rods in the center of this pic are definitely Streaky Pink. I would stake my career on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflykj
From my own limited exerience Streaky Pink rods are not round, more oblong or oval, like the one on the right in the 2nd picture.

Here is a picture of my Streaky Pink, where you can see the shape of the rods in the middle and then compare them to the other rods around them which are more circular or round.

Old 2006-02-04, 2:35pm

Yes, you should. The person who sold it to you should have made darn sure it was Streaky before selling it such. Did they have any disclaimer saying it might not be, or it was based on a guess?

Quote:
I find that with most striking colors, that if I work them in the flame like normal (and never get them too hot) that they just strike for me. Maybe I'm lucky in that regard!

Anyway, your suggestion of Misty Rose sounds like it may be what I have. The rod is a definite pink color and has a light stripe of rubino running through it. I tried striking it several times with no luck. I'm looking at a bead I made with it right now...and am getting mad. I paid a little more than $60 for a 1/4 and got screwed.

Should I ask for my money back? It's been a few months since I made the purchase. Still though...that's a lot of money for....essentially nothing.

Old 2006-02-04, 2:36pm

The rods on the left are Streaky Pink. The rods on the right look like Silver Pink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass
I took a picture too just for another shot, and no, Karla, I guess the one on the left doesn't look like regular 260 after all. Time for a nap and nevermind. Rosanne Roseannadanna.

Old 2006-02-04, 2:37pm

I think I've bought yours before - it's the real thing as far as I can remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm

Old 2006-02-04, 2:40pm

Actually, I would say that the majority of that is Streaky Pink, and that you bought some a long time ago before they realized some of it was a mistake. Or you got some of the really old pink that was super close to the Streaky Pink. But it's just a guess - I would have to melt them myself to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflykj
Let me start out by saying, that these pictures suck! But I don't want to go back down to the shop and get the rods and take pics again You'll just have to trust me.
I started looking at the Streaky Pink and the Pink beside it from my first picture posted and found a lot of similarities in some of the rods. Then I found 2 tagged Light Pink 260, so they were from different orders from different years actually. They are totally different in color and diameter. I also have a tagged Steaky Pink.

Ok so long story short..............
the old 260 that I have is what are the larger oblong rods of what I thought was Streaky Pink. The rods are larger in diameter and actually the 'dot' on the end of the rod is more distinct.
The 'real' Streaky Pink is oblong or oval w/ a more faint 'dot' on the ends, smaller diameter and then the proof was in the melting.
It is obvious!

So in summary, I was wrong and others could be too
Melting is the only way to be sure!
I only have about 1/2 of the Streaky that I thought I did, but I sure am glad I didn't sell any

Streaky, New Lt. Pink 260, Old Lt. Pink

All 3 melted, can YOU spot the Streaky?

Old 260 & Streaky paddles

The ends of Old Lt. Pink on left and Streaky on right

Old 2006-02-04, 3:51pm
Formerly SirWatson

Wow! Thanks you guys for all of the posts and pictures! Ya'll are wonderful!

Carrie - Thanks so much for melting and testing and giving me a synopsis on the pinks. That was very sweet of you!

Kandice - I'm pretty sure that what I have is NOT streaky pink. If you'd like me to send you some of it, let me know, although, I'm sure it's not SP since I couldn't get any bubblegummy color from it at all.

I did write the person who sold me the glass and told her that her supply is NOT SP. I didn't ask for my money back since it's been awhile since I bought it from her. She says that the person who sold it to her said it was streaky pink, so she's following up with that supplier.

Still though, if she didn't pay as much I as I did for that 1/4 pound, it'd be nice if she'd at least offer to refund some of my money. I paid too much for a crappy pink I'll probably never use.

<><
Old 2006-02-04, 3:54pm
Nah, not really...;)

I am going to mail you a rod of each and then you can 'see' the difference in person