LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-03-15, 9:57pm

Default Incompatibility or thermal crack?

I hand mixed Effetre white with transparent emerald green for the core of this bead and I had issues with it cracking on me throughout the hour that it took me to make it, but I thought that maybe I wasn't keeping it warm enough because of the surface detail that I working on. This is what I got when I tried to take it off the mandrel.

I warmed it to glowing before putting it in the kiln, is there some compatibility issue I'm not aware of with mixing Effetre white with Effetre transparent emerald?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-03-15, 9:59pm

Forgot to mention that it was encased in Effetre Super Clear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-03-16, 1:39am
Slogan Challenged...

I'm going to guess that it was a matter of the core getting too cool while you worked it. The crack looks thermal. There are no issues that I have heard of with those two colors, but you can always try with a simpler encased bead using that same core and see how it holds up Pretty bead, shame!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-03-16, 3:56am

If you have or know someone with a flat lap the bead can be cut into a cabochon.

It has all the signs of a thermal crack.

Old 2015-03-16, 6:06am
Phill

You could even get away with some sand paper on a flat tile or a sheet of glass to take the edges of the corners and then use the halves as cabs.

Too bad about the break.

ETA: My opinion is thermal crack. Incompatibility probably would have gone jagged, but I'm guessing.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-03-16 at 6:08am.
Old 2015-03-16, 6:43am

Thermal crack. My guess is that the cracks you were experiencing while you were making it didn't completely heal. Did you use a press?
Old 2015-03-16, 7:34am

Thanks guys!

I did use a press, numerous times during the making of this bead.

It was odd that the cracks that appeared during the making of it were off to the sides and in weird designs, like spider web type cracks and then when I press for the final time and heat through (til glowing) it ends up with this type of crack.

I know I've used these colors together before with no problems, I just wondered if there was a new issue I hadn't heard about. I've made hundreds of lentil shaped beads with this press with no problems, but I guess it always has to be that bead that you really like and took a long time to make. Lol!

I'll try the sanding trick so that maybe I can still use the bead somehow.

Thanks again for the feedback on this, it probably was a thermal crack. User error.

Old 2015-03-16, 8:26am
I fart diamonds

Just an FYI, it is possible to have both thermal and incompatibility cracks in the same bead. Sounds like you have both, although I don't know of any issues with clear and emerald. Encasing yellows and some reds? Yes, but no greens (that I know of). (Except boro. Most boro greens hate to be encased.)

Old 2015-03-16, 11:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Just an FYI, it is possible to have both thermal and incompatibility cracks in the same bead. Sounds like you have both, although I don't know of any issues with clear and emerald. Encasing yellows and some reds? Yes, but no greens (that I know of). (Except boro. Most boro greens hate to be encased.)
Yeah, I wondered about the possibility of both. Apparently I didn't get it hot enough before putting it in the kiln, but those earlier cracks seemed odd. The next one I make will just have a thin stringer of green over white and we'll see what happens...

Old 2015-03-16, 11:51am

Dawn, why not try re-making that bead-- at least with the same proportions of the same colors, and don't press it. See if you still get some cracking. At least you'll have a better idea if incompatibility is an issue. Shame to avoid that combination, as it looked like a nice bead.

Mimi
Old 2015-03-16, 12:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xMI View Post
Dawn, why not try re-making that bead-- at least with the same proportions of the same colors, and don't press it. See if you still get some cracking. At least you'll have a better idea if incompatibility is an issue. Shame to avoid that combination, as it looked like a nice bead.

Mimi
Why not pull a thread of that combination and know if they are compatible.
Old 2015-03-16, 3:46pm

If I have a cracked bead I am not sure is compatibility or thermal cracking I tend to slump it into a cabachon.

If it's a compatibility problem the cabachon will crack too...usually in the same places.

If the cab is whole and remains uncracked I know it was thermal.

And you have a pretty cabachon!

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2015-03-16, 5:29pm

Thanks everyone! Great suggestions. I'll definitely pull the combination and see if it's an issue. I've never slumped glass before, but there's always a first time.

I do have to wonder about the press too, I had another bead, totally different combination crack today, o it's very possible that I have not been paying enough attention to the heating process. I know pressing pulls heat out of the bead super fast.

Old 2015-03-17, 5:34pm
addicted to dichro

Theoretically by mixing an opaque and transparent you made an opal color, and the produced opal colors are notorious for incompatibility.

Old 2015-03-17, 5:41pm
I fart diamonds

Mixing a transparent and a pastel doesn't actually make it an Opalino. The Opalinos and Alabasters are the colors with compatibility issues. I've hand mixed standard transparents and pastels for years and never had any problems.

Old 2015-03-17, 8:32pm

Hm.

I've mixed Effetre opaque and transparent together many times using the formula table in Drew Fritts "Torchworked Marbles" book with no problems, but I understand that glass formulas change over time and problems can develop. I've never had a problem with these two colors together, but they are both new batches ordered recently, so... it could happen, I guess.

Old 2015-03-18, 11:52pm
Naysayer

Or it could be the Super Clear? You'd have to test all 3. IMO it shouldn't crack while working like you mentioned...I mean it sounds as if it was strange cracking and seems you know what you're doing by the looks of it. I had that happen with a combo before, can't remember what, but it was cracking weird while working so I dunked it.