Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-20, 8:15am
color bomb

Default Victorian swipe-y floral question

Please don't laugh. It's a serious question

I made some Victorian style florals like some of you make, with the three petals, and then the petals on top of that, and then the green leaves. They stick WAY out. Am I supposed to melt them in more between layers? I don't know that I've ever seen any of you guys' beads in profile. I like mine well enough, I just don't know if they're supposed to be so... puffy. LOL

I suppose someone is going to link me to various tutorials to buy, most of which I all ready have favorited on Etsy, so if that's your response just say something like "I'd tell you but it's in a tutorial and someone will get mad if I post it".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-02-20, 8:33am
color bomb

I meant to post this in the tips and techniques section. Heh.

Old 2013-02-20, 8:46am

Do you mean an encased floral with multi layers? Picture?

Old 2013-02-20, 8:56am
color bomb

One of the petal-y ones like Jackie or Joan makes. No encased watercolors for me. lol

Old 2013-02-20, 8:59am
color bomb

Where you take the twistie, melt a little blob, then pull it into a swipe. Two more next to it, then three in the next layer. Then the leaf cane over it. Do I melt between layers? Is it all going to smear and melt together if I do? lol

Old 2013-02-20, 1:18pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder View Post
Where you take the twistie, melt a little blob, then pull it into a swipe. Two more next to it, then three in the next layer. Then the leaf cane over it. Do I melt between layers? Is it all going to smear and melt together if I do? lol
Ah, yes, I know which one you're talking about.

Lemme do some research.

~
~

#M-191

Last edited by Lyssa; 2013-02-20 at 1:28pm.
Old 2013-02-20, 1:27pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Here you go! Found an artist that makes that kind of flower. Kristen Frantzen Orr. Doesn't look like she has any tutorials or advice, though. You'll just have to look at her pictures.

In the end, if you like how it looks it doesn't matter if it looks like someone else's or not. We're all trying to get our own style, and copycatting is kinda frowned upon, anyway. Just do what looks nice to you.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-02-20, 1:29pm
Tweedle Dumb

I'm thinking that once you get your swipes on there it's just like murrini. Heat. Tap. Heat. Tap. That way it doesn't turn into a pile of mush.

Those look like they have a pretty low profile.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2013-02-20, 1:59pm
color bomb

Hers are kinda puffy! I'm not foing it totally wrong! Thanks, miss Aimee

Old 2013-02-20, 2:07pm
I fart diamonds

It sounds like you made your blob too big. This is where I learned to make them:

http://www.schermobeads.com/tutorials/iris_tutorial.htm

Old 2013-02-20, 2:16pm
I fart diamonds

Here is where she provides some tips:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...7&postcount=23

Old 2013-02-20, 2:49pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I kind of push mine from the other direction...if that makes sense. I try not to melt mine very much after I've applied them. It could be your "blob" was too big too, or your stringer too fat. I also pull the excess glass down with a clear stringer or pick, sometimes pulling most of it off.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Sheila D.; 2013-02-20 at 2:51pm. Reason: more info
Old 2013-02-20, 3:35pm
color bomb

Thanks for that link, Shawnette. My stringer was too big, I think. It makes sense now! I'll try that with stringer, Sheila.

You guys are so helpful

Old 2013-02-20, 3:44pm
specializing in obnoxious

I didn't look at the links so this may have been covered there as well, but I also push the stringer down from the top of the flower. It creates a valley in the swipe, but it melts smooth easily enough.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2013-02-25, 9:06pm

Smile Here ya go

Gems in Bloom by Jacqualine Parks makes gorgeous flowers, similar to Kristen's and has tons of cane recipies- GET her floral tutorial, all of them are awesome- You'll learn a lot~ best money I've ever spent on a tutorial!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/gemsinbloom
Old 2013-02-25, 9:33pm

I just ordered it and I can't wait!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-02-26, 3:52pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Shermo's iris tut (referenced in post #10 above) is fantastic, except for one thing. I don't think I have EVER attempted to pluck at a bead with tweezers - to remove a misplaced stringer, pull off a speck of bead release, whatever - without it being an unmitigated disaster. Usually resulting in a waterbath for the former bead. Clearly I'm doing something wrong.

L-111

Old 2013-02-26, 4:26pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Hey, thanks for the kudos. I do not melt the first layer down before adding another layer.............though there are so many ways to make these type of flowers depending on your personal taste. I view it as painting and we all have our own preferences. Without seeing pics from you I cant really comment on what you are doing.

I have seen all kinds of different flowers from people who have learned from my tutorial. I love how we all end up with our own flair. I know some make flowers with many layers and they sit up high and they are beautiful. Cynthia Tilker's flowers come to mind. If you want to send me pics of your beads, I will try to help (without pressure to purchase the tut) gemsinbloom@shaw.ca

Old 2013-02-26, 4:28pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you for posting the iris tutorial. I must try one soon!

Old 2013-02-26, 5:58pm
color bomb

I did the tweezer thing and it worked perfectly. I'm good to go, I think.