Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-16, 7:39pm

Default Honey Mustard vs Opal Yellow

I read a post by DragonJools about a newish color from CIM called Honey Mustard. As soon as I could get some I ordered it from Frantz. I was intrigued by her comments about Opal Yellow and this color having some of the similar properties, especially with EDP. I made some of these lentils that I last made in 2006. What I liked about these beads is that the EDP reacts with the Opal Yellow to form a bright orange color where they meet. In this set the center three beads are made with Opal Yellow and the three on the left of the center beads are Honey Mustard (the three on the right I can't remember). I think the bright yellow and orange color is similar in both, but a tad more orange on the Opal Yellow. The Honey Mustard didn't get as pink as the Opal Yellow, however, because I can't tell on the other three, it is really close.

Here is a focal on the left with the Honey Mustard (HM) and Intense Black IB) and the other two are some older Opal Yellow (OY) and Intense Black beads. It is a little hard to compare these exactly as I find that Intense Black worked differently on my Hot Head torch that I know the 2004 bead was made on (can't remember on the 2007). I found that the IB didn't web as much on the HM, but more like a spreading all over the bead. You can see some cool blue and green colors on the HM bead and I think that is worth trying to replicate. You can see similar colors on the top OY bead. The yellow colors are very similar and I did get some pink blush on the HM bead, which is encouraging.

I am not an official color testing for any glass companies, so my opinions are mine alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:

Last edited by Lara; 2013-04-16 at 10:34pm.
Old 2013-04-16, 7:48pm

Nice beads Lara
What do you mean by the three in the center?
Thanks
Old 2013-04-16, 7:53pm
I like to melt things

Being a colour tester for a company does not mean that you don't voice your own opinions. I don't let anyone tell me what to say about the glass I test, but I am guilty of mostly testing only the colours I think I'm going to like -- because who wants to make all those beads out of a colour they think will be icky! I'll run out of colours I like eventually and then I'll be a sad girl.

Nice beads, Lara! I have found Honey Mustard to be really similar to Opal Yellow as well. I find Opal Yellow to be a little different from batch to batch, and if someone had handed me the Honey Mustard and told me it was Opal Yellow, I probably wouldn't have contradicted them after using it to make beads.

-
-
Old 2013-04-16, 8:00pm
Senior Moment

*nods* I picked some up also and it definitely struck me as similar to YO. Seems to me it's what CIM was trying to achieve with Stone Ground (and I'm glad they didn't; love that too!).

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-04-16, 8:08pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post

IIn this set the center three beads are made with Opal Yellow and the three on the far left are Opal Yellow (the three on the right I can't remember). I think the bright yellow and orange color is similar in both, but a tad more orange on the Opal Yellow. The Honey Mustard didn't get as pink as the Opal Yellow, however, because I can't tell on the other three, it is really close.
I think you put OY twice instead of Honey Mustard for one.

Old 2013-04-16, 8:17pm
Tweedle Dumb

Ohh, thank God you said that. I re-read that10 times trying to figure out what I had missed. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I think you put OY twice instead of Honey Mustard for one.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2013-04-16, 8:23pm
Loving learning

Nice review Lara, thanks for sharing your results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
Ohh, thank God you said that. I re-read that10 times trying to figure out what I had missed. Lol
Me too!
Old 2013-04-16, 9:38pm
one day at a time

Nice! Thanks for sharing! I believe that this Honey Mustard will probably react very nicely with CiM's Cranberry.

Do you have some of the Cranberry, Lara? If it is similar to Rubino, that is going to be pretty combination.
Old 2013-04-16, 10:33pm

ack, I did right OY twice. SUCH a dork. The three beads in the middle of the set of OY the three on the far left (from the twist) are Honey Mustard. DUH.
Fixing now
Thanks guys.

I do have cranberry and I don't get good colors.

Old 2013-04-16, 10:36pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I do have cranberry and I don't get good colors.
Then maybe rubino would work nice with it, like it does with OY.

Or any of the transparent fuchsia or ruby frits.
Old 2013-04-17, 12:47am
Slogan Challenged...

Nice to have options, but aren't they both about the same price? Ugh.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-04-17, 4:32pm

I'm not sure on price, but I think so. What I forgot to mention, and was a little weird, was that the HM was just as shocky as my OY (sheesh, usually CIM isn't that shocky for me)

I also forgot to include these tie dye beads. In this application, I could see no difference between the purple and yellow reaction (to get the rusty orange).

First set the twisty with OY and the second set with HM.
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-17, 4:53pm

Love the tie dye beads! What do you use in the twiste?

Beaded Chic

Old 2013-04-18, 11:32am
Keep on keepin' on...

Just got back from Frantz and they are out of Opal Yellow so I bought Honey Mustard to try thanks to this thread. It is about $1.00 more per 1/4 than the opal yellow. I meant to pick up OY last week when I was there, got distracted and walked out without it, and they had it last Friday. Was bummed but hoping HM will be an acceptable substitute. So glad this thread was here, or I would have left empty handed.

Old 2013-04-18, 5:31pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadedChic View Post
^^^^ This .... LOVE those colours!! Beautiful beads!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2013-04-18, 6:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadedChic View Post
EDP and Copper Green.

Old 2013-04-18, 6:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCreekStudio View Post
Just got back from Frantz and they are out of Opal Yellow so I bought Honey Mustard to try thanks to this thread. It is about $1.00 more per 1/4 than the opal yellow. I meant to pick up OY last week when I was there, got distracted and walked out without it, and they had it last Friday. Was bummed but hoping HM will be an acceptable substitute. So glad this thread was here, or I would have left empty handed.
So happy I posted this then. Please post what you make here too, share what you get from the glass.

Old 2013-04-19, 8:48am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Thank you Lara, I have to go try the EDP/CGreen twistie NOW!!! Lovely!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin