Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-21, 12:02pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!
Default Help .. no flow of Propane!!

Went to try to torch for the first time since 14th March ... quick connected to propane .. nothing at torch. Nada, zip, zilch, zero!!!!

I have a 4 stud Scorpion, tanked oxy and bbq size propane tank.

My set up is tank, regulator, flashback, quick connect, hose, Pedal, hose, (edit: duh me ...forgot the pedal in the line up!!!), torch.

1. first I changed tank to spare, wasn't sure if first was empty or not, regulator said not but ....
2. then I went and got brand new tank to be sure and hooked up to regulator - still no flow at torch end.
3. removed flashback and quick connect from regulator, turned regulator on without hoses attached - definitely propane flow from new tank - can hear/smell! And regulator confirmed propane is in there!
4. connected hose directly to regulator - still no flow at torch.

So ... there is a problem between regulator and torch - and the only thing in between is the foot pedal.

There is nowhere on island to have a look at the pedal - I would have to ship it back to the States (am visiting in 2 weeks ...!).

Any suggestions what I can do next ... how easy is it to look into the pedal or is that something I really should not do if I don't know what I'm really doing?!! (Probably shouldn't - right!!! Anyway, I'd be too scared I think!).

Whilst I'm asking - how often should oxy and propane hoses be replaced? I've had mine on the torch for 3 years or so, not heavy usage by any means. I have T grade 1/4" propane hoses - they are discolouring turning very dark in places, can post a pic if needed. Does that mean that they need replacing?

Any suggestions as to next step would be gratefully received!

Tx!!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin

Last edited by LemonwoodStudio; 2013-03-22 at 2:41am.
Old 2013-03-21, 12:14pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Have you disconnected the hose and blown it out with air?

Where I live it would be gecko eggs or cockroaches in the hose.

A few months ago I was having problems with my printer and I freaked out 'cause I thought the printer was broken, but it turned out to be a gecko was living in the printer cartridge. Poor gecko, he was having such a nice life until I hit *print*.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

#M-191
Old 2013-03-21, 1:43pm
Senior Moment

I'm afraid I have no suggestions in regards to the fuel flow. I just don't know whether to be dismayed or amused about the gecko. I've seen weird things come out of printers, but never a reptile!

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-03-21, 1:48pm

Hi Aimee - tx! No I haven't ... what could I use for blowing air through ...?! Using just mouth/breath won't be strong enough!!! I don't have a oxycon. But how would a gecko or cockroach get into the line if I have the quickconnects on both ends all the time - wouldn't have thought it possible?

Old 2013-03-21, 1:55pm

I had a blockage in my hose once - evidently when I unhooked the quick disconnect, I let the end drop into some mud, and it made a plug in the hose end. I got it out by whacking the brass fitting on the deck.

Can you rig up a fitting on your oxygen tank and blow through it?
Old 2013-03-21, 2:12pm
I ate a big red candle!

I've had a similar problem with blockage from ice and water.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2013-03-21, 2:13pm

Hi Kathy ... good idea .. the pressure is there ... is it a good idea to mix oxy into the propane line ... in case a bit gets left in there or something and then reacts on the plastic with the propane ... I just haven't heard of anyone else doing it .... but the pressure would be good blow through!!!

Old 2013-03-21, 2:21pm
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

I know these very simplistic but those are the one's that get overlooked the most:

Are you sure your bbq tank is on or has fuel in it? Are the ports open at the torch as well? If you have a foot pedal, is that working properly?

I know nothing about 4 stud torches, btw.
Old 2013-03-21, 2:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonwoodStudio View Post
Hi Aimee - tx! No I haven't ... what could I use for blowing air through ...?! Using just mouth/breath won't be strong enough!!! I don't have a oxycon. But how would a gecko or cockroach get into the line if I have the quickconnects on both ends all the time - wouldn't have thought it possible?
I would take the entire hose to a gas station and blowing air through it from the compressed air station where you fill your tires, if you have one there. I have no idea if those air stations ever have any oil or grease in them, but that's what I would do.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-03-21, 2:45pm

can you hook the hose (tank side) from the foot pedal to the torch (you could just disconnect from the foot pedal and turn on the tank and see if you get a smell of the propane. if that works hook the pedal back in and disconnect from the torch and turn on gas and see if you are getting it there. that would isolate the problem to a specfic spot (unless you can not unhook from the pedal).
Old 2013-03-21, 4:52pm

Yes, certain tank has propane - bought a new one specially as I thought the other was empty (turns out it wasn't anyway!). Yes ports are open on torch for sure. Thinking it is pedal.

dabels - tx, tomorrow I'll hook the tank directly to the torch and see if it flows, if so then I know it is the pedal!

Old 2013-03-21, 6:57pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Foot pedal should only control outer ring(s).... Center fire should be direct connection.... IF you do not have direct propane to center fire you have something connected wrong or blockage in hose....How much pressure is showing on output gauge of regulator.... Sometimes quick connects and flashback arrestors will not work properly if there is not enough pressure on propane side to push against the springs trying to keep valve closed.....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-03-22, 2:37am

Hi Dale, tx for looking in - Everything was hooked up as I normally had it, no different to normal. 5-6 psi is what I usually use - the propane set and gauges register when I turn the tank on at the moment (tank is roughly about 200), and propane is definitely moving as i can hear and smell it when i turn on thhe tank without hose attached. I have already removed both quick connect and the flashback and connected Pedal hose direct to regulator, nothing at torch still. Today I will try tank, regulator, direct to torch. What about the hoses ... Are they degrading if they are turning dark .. Tx! pS edited my first post as to my set up ... I forgot to add in the pedal to the line - up!!!

Last edited by LemonwoodStudio; 2013-03-22 at 2:42am.
Old 2013-03-22, 9:11am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Is your footpedal manual valve or electric solenoid?

If it is electric, which the majority are, then you can check the solenoid action by listening closely to the solenoid as you manipulate the switch on and off. You should hear a click and may feel a slight 'tap' as the coil energizes. That does not mean that the solenoid is opening and closing, only that the coil is good. To check the actual valve part you will need to apply some air pressure to the solenoid and operate the switch. You should have flow/no flow depending on the switch on/off. If not then the solenoid is bad or stuck. Many solenoids can be purchased without the coil so if your coil is good and the valve bad just buy the valve and use the original coil. And vis-versa.

If the pedal is a manual valve it will be, in most cases, a ball valve. You will need to disassemble the valve to see if it is plugged or the ball not turning. In some cases the top where the handle shaft comes out can be unscrewed and the ball assembly lifted out for inspection. Otherwise you will need to look into one end or the other to see if the ball moves when the handle is operated. There is typically a cone shaped washer/seal that rides against the ball so be sure to not loose that and put it back in in the correct orientation...should only go in one way. Depending on who made the pedal there may be a loose or bad connection in one or more of the wires. Check the connections for snugness. The foot switch is often one of the things that wears out quickly as it get trompted on and takes a lot of abuse. make sure the switch in the foot pedal box is OK. Some places to start looking.

PJH
Old 2013-03-22, 3:16pm

Thank you everyone ... all sorted!

Old 2013-03-23, 11:53pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Well....what was it??
Old 2013-04-03, 8:09pm

We're dying of curiosity here. What was the problem?

~
~

#M-191