Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-14, 5:30pm

Default OG-20 oxygen concentrator problem

I have a OG-20 concentrator that I bought new in 2006. I have never had a problem with it until now. I have been running it a 10 LPM's with the oxygen pressure level set at 13-15 psi's and it has always worked great. Just the last few days the oxygen pressure level has dropped and it is now staying at 11-13 psi's and the dial is set as high as it will go. I'm still running the LPM at 10. I called the company that I bought it from and they weren't much help. Things that I have done at this point is to check for leaks in the line, changed the filter, and on the advice of the technician that I spoke with I took the oxygen pressure regulator off and gave it a good cleaning but nothing has helped. I am running a lynx with propane and the concentrator. The machine has about 1800 hrs on it. Does anyone have any suggestions of other things that might have caused the oxygen pressure level to drop or anything else that I might try.

Glenda
Old 2010-01-16, 2:30pm

1. remove the sieve bed
2. bake it in your oven on low heat until dry.
3. put back in
4. plug back in and blow glass

The moisture in the air saturates the sieve beds when seperating the o2. Just dry em out and you should be ok. Hope this helps.....
Old 2010-12-05, 9:32pm

Could you be a little more specific(or allot more specific) about how you remove the sieve material and dry it out. It seams so logical but I can not find any information online to lead me to believe that I might be able to do this and get it back together again. Is there any kind of toxicity to the material(Zeolite) that you remove? Or special precautions that you need in handling the material.
Has anyone had any success with reconditioning sieve beds? I would like to do this my self.
Old 2010-12-06, 7:49am

It is very hard to sucessfully recondition your own sieve beds. All the sieve beds have springs some of them have over a 1000 pounds of force on them. We would advise that you send them in and have new material put in them. We will do it for $60.00 plus shipping. However your problem could also be a weak compressor.
Old 2010-12-06, 8:03am
DSDWC

How often should the sieve bed material be replaced? I have a pair of old school M-20's that have full time use for 7-8 years. Is it time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-06, 8:12am

There is no way to determine when a sieve bed will fail. A lot of it depends on the environment and the maintenance on the machine. If it is no longer working it could be a worn out compressor or sieve bed. The machine can be completely rebuilt for about $150.00 plus shipping.
Old 2010-12-06, 1:43pm

When you say that it would be hard to recondition your own Sieve Beds what do you mean. Do you need some kind of special tools.
And do you know why there is so much spring pressure on this cylinder. I did read that you can buy reconditioned Zeolite.
My OG20 is pretty new and the two cylinders wore bad when I first got it. And I had so send for replacements. With less than 200 hrs on a new machine Im getting really tired of this $#!+. I dont know that I trust these people and the information they are giving me. After spending over $2,000 dollars I expected better.
I want to know how to fix this thing myself, make a video and put it on You Tube.
And just in case that doesnt work out, where would you suggest sending them to have them re-conditioned? Yub a dubba do.
Old 2010-12-06, 3:40pm
Alaska Boro

Maybe this applies.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7323535_dry-...ar-sieves.html

Some background.
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5619763...ine-work_.html
Old 2010-12-06, 5:03pm

Good info Alaska. Thanks.
Looks like I would need a disiccator. Now that I know what it is. You can buy them new for about $150.00 and used for about $50.00. I need to do a little research and find out how they work. I have an oven that will go to 600 degrees after which they will need to go into the disiccator over night. Also would need to know what kind of disiccator you would need to purge the the environment with a carrier gas and what type of gas that would be.
I guess these cylinders are spring loaded. I would like to know they take them apart and put them back together again. That way I can figure out how big of a disiccator I would need to hold the sieves. Because I dont really know what they look like yet. All good questions.
Somebody knows how to do this. How do we find that somebody? The people who refill them arnt going to tell you. And I doubt OGSI will tell me. What we need here is some Buckaroo. With a simple explanation on how to do this (without getting hurt or burning the house down) or a logical explanation as to why it would be better for someone to just send them in and have them re-poured. Because the cost and the hassle (even over the long term) wouldnt be worth the trouble.
I like to fix things myself. And sometimes it gets me in trouble. And Im thinking that this just might be one of those occasions. But how do you know if you dont ask? I ask you.
So. Buckaroo. Where are you.
Old 2010-12-07, 10:55am

ok here is the deal..... it is such a hastle to reclaim old sieve that we just buy new. i have about 3000 pounds of used material that i sell to other companies that try to reclaim used sieve. you have to heat it for x amount of hours (in an oven other than the one you cook with) at 600 degrees then let it cool with out drawing moisture. to test the sieve to see if you have cooked it long enough you get a cup of sieve put it in a bowl and add about 1/2 cup of water. while adding water put a MERCURY filled thermometer {kind of hard to find) in the sieve and varify that the temp jumps by at least 100 degrees when the water is added. also if the sieve smells (like kitty litter or other smells) or is yellow looking you need to pour the top inch into the trash, save the middle and pour the last inch into the trash. so even though you are reclaiming your sieve, you will still be about 2-3 cups shy of a full bed.no punn intended. i will do the beds for about 60.00 plus shipping and used new material. if you sent them to ogsi they may have used reclaimed sieve and may be why it didnt last long. Hope this helps.
Old 2010-12-07, 3:23pm

Thank You Mr or Mrs, Extreme Oxygen Admin. Are you a company or do you just do this out of your shop? Where are you? Ill bring them by and we can have tea. Itll be a hoot. Because I didnt really want to do this anyway. And It sounds like a whole bunch of work. I just want to make bitchin glass and listen to music. Do you trade for glass? I make some sweet jellyfish. You would be like the Indian in Dances With Wolves who says "Good............ Trade".
Or cash.
Dudly
Old 2010-12-08, 9:52am

Will work for glass.... love jellyfish... come on by we are a professional business with employees... they can fix it we can lite a torch and make glass... cant listen to music because the sales staff is on the phone close by. but yeah we are in indiana come on by.... Good.......trade
-Paul-
Old 2010-12-08, 10:27am
tweetysweetie

Waving at Paul!!! I love my EX-O filling system, should have bought it long ago...see you in Vegas...
Catharine

Old 2011-01-20, 9:55pm

I'm wondering what the symptoms of needing new sieve beds are. When my concentrator breaths, I get a long propane rich candle/flame. This is mucking up sensitive glass. Is this a symptom of bad beds?

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2011-01-21, 9:46am

It is a symptom of bad beds, weak compressor, or a leak. We can rebuild the entire machine for $125.00 plus shipping.
Old 2011-01-22, 1:58am

Default H-1 circuit board question for Extreme admin

Hi Mr Extreme O2, Could you please tell me what the 1 inch black plastic rectangle thing with the 2 plastic screws is for on my extreme o2 h-1 circuit board? What does it adjust? The reason I ask is that my oxygen conc O2 percentage went way down today. I am really trying not to have to send it back.
Thanks.

my HQUOTE=dudly;3315243]Thank You Mr or Mrs, Extreme Oxygen Admin. Are you a company or do you just do this out of your shop? Where are you? Ill bring them by and we can have tea. Itll be a hoot. Because I didnt really want to do this anyway. And It sounds like a whole bunch of work. I just want to make bitchin glass and listen to music. Do you trade for glass? I make some sweet jellyfish. You would be like the Indian in Dances With Wolves who says "Good............ Trade".
Or cash.
Dudly[/quote]
Old 2011-02-24, 10:43pm

Hi all... you guys seem to know whats what with oxygen concentrators.... I have been given an old one (very old I might add). I have been told that the oxygen is only at 24.5%. I am a very very new lampworker and have absolutely no idea what that means! I've been trolling through Lampwork etc. looking for answers and by the looks of things you have to have oxygen at over 90% for it to work......

Can one of you please tell me what will happen to both my beads and my torch (Carlisle Mini CC) if I use it?
Old 2011-02-27, 12:32am

Default ogsi-15

I have an OGSI-15 generator and have very
low hours on it. I've already sent the sieve beds back once to OGSI to be refilled/fixed to the tune of 200.00, used it for less than 200 hours, left the machine sit in Air conditioned room for two years, and now it doesn't produce oxy. Is it the sieve beds again? Can you help me or advise me? I even just bought a second one to piggy back for more oxy, only to find out my original doesn't work. Help!!!
I'm not a happy camper right now. My boro is crying to be melted.
Old 2011-03-08, 11:24pm
addicted to the flame

Oh geez, poor people. Knock wood, but I haven't had any problems with any of my equipment yet - OGSI-20, included.

By the way, Zeolite is a type of clay, or diatomacious earth, or something. Pretty benign. It's used in pond filters, with activated carbon. Fish are sensitive to everything. It removes nitrates, ammonia and other contaminates in water filters. Of course, heating something may change its properties. But at room temp, not toxic.

Last edited by AlaskaBarb; 2011-03-08 at 11:26pm.
Old 2013-03-29, 6:50pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Any new info on this stuff? Can someone tell me how to open the back of the concentrator? I was told you need to clean the sieve bed. Is that like dusting? lol

Old 2013-03-29, 8:25pm
Alaska Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaribeads View Post
I was told you need to clean the sieve bed. Is that like dusting? lol
Sounds like this is one of those April 1st jokes.....

Sieve beds contain a powered material that absorbers nigroten. It is not something that is to be removed. It can be removed and replaced with new when it becomes ineffective by a firm that specializes in replacement.
Old 2013-03-30, 2:03pm

Well, Alaska can you maybe help me with my concentrator problem? I just put in a new filter because when I turn it on it;s ok for a minute then it starts buzzing and not producing oxy. When I first got it it was ok but it is a spare so it wasn't used much. the friend I bought it from would not have sold it if it wasn't working ok. When I bought the replacement filter it came with a plastic piece that sort of looks like a top that kids play with. I have not unscrewed the back. should I? thanks

Old 2013-03-30, 4:48pm
Alaska Boro

Check the troubleshooting guide that is part of the operators manual. Then see if there is a repair manual available on the net. This will provide more information as to how to remove the covers, etc.

Generally, user installed filters can be replaced w/o removing covers. But it could very by brand.

If you are not getting any oxygen or air out then there could be a leak or loose hose inside the unit. Or the pump could be bad. And if air but no oxygen then perhaps the sieve beds are bad. Or it could be as simple as needing a new battery for the alarm system should it have one.

IMO taking off the covers to see what is going on is a good idea. Others may not agree.

And check LE for other threads that have similar questions as there may be some additional information that could be of use.
Old 2013-03-30, 7:03pm

Patti, see if you can Google for an owner's manual. I am guessing you don't have one with it. Also, ask Sharyl if she knows anybody who can help you. Somebody got the one I gave her working.
Old 2013-03-31, 4:14am

Thank you to both of you for the very helpful info!! I will start by googgling the owners manual.