LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-01-31, 7:51am

Oh those are yummy, Kalera. Thanks for taking the time to actually show me the results. I understand it's more of a topcoat thing. What a great way to use other frits under them.
Thanks I don't think I would have ever come up with that myself.
Old 2013-01-31, 7:28pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD View Post
What's the base glass on those last frit beads please Kalera? All three sets are very pretty, but different!

I am loving playing with my BullsEye, there are some absolutely gorgeous colours.
I think those last ones are on a transparent medium gray base... it looks almost black in the picture but I am pretty sure I remember using medium gray.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-01-31, 8:52pm
I think I could be a bead

I've recently tried etching in a tumbler. I seem to be getting pits in my beads. What am I doing wrong? I only tumble them for an hour. Help! Thank you!

Old 2013-02-01, 5:46pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I think those last ones are on a transparent medium gray base... it looks almost black in the picture but I am pretty sure I remember using medium gray.
Thanks Kalera, I thought it looked like a transparent grey but wanted to check. It is very pretty with that frit on it!

Old 2013-02-01, 9:00pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud101 View Post
I've recently tried etching in a tumbler. I seem to be getting pits in my beads. What am I doing wrong? I only tumble them for an hour. Help! Thank you!
That's a great question... I tumble for about eight hours, or overnight, and I find that I may get pits in my beads if there were bubbles close to the surface. Do you have any pics of them?

Old 2013-02-01, 9:00pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Thanks Kalera, I thought it looked like a transparent grey but wanted to check. It is very pretty with that frit on it!
Thank you!

Old 2013-02-01, 9:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
That's a great question... I tumble for about eight hours, or overnight, and I find that I may get pits in my beads if there were bubbles close to the surface. Do you have any pics of them?
If I can post here from my IPad, I'll post.

Old 2013-02-01, 9:06pm

The photos are not on my IPad. I'll have to post tomorrow.

Old 2013-02-02, 5:53pm

Finally! A picture! These look pitted to me.

Old 2013-02-02, 6:05pm
I'm a lilac!

Gotcha! Those are pretty beads! You just need to tumble them longer; the pittedness is because the glossy top layer hasn't been worn all the way off yet. Put them in overnight, that should do it!

Last edited by Kalera; 2013-02-02 at 6:42pm.
Old 2013-02-02, 6:16pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Well, I like them Mallory!! They look very old..a good kind of old!!
Old 2013-02-02, 6:16pm

Thank you!!!!!

Old 2013-02-02, 6:17pm

Thanks, Pat!!!! I just was looking for a smooth finish!!!

Old 2013-02-04, 12:02pm

This is my first outing with the Loetz frits. I think mine are more of a fine powder than your are. Is this kinda what I'm looking for? Thanks again
Attached Images

Old 2013-02-04, 3:18pm

Kalera, Thank you for the lovely bead! I wasn't expecting capped and cored. I will enjoy wearing it.

Education as an adult, to me, was much more worthwhile than straight from high school. You know what your goals are and make the most of the experience. Keep up the good work.

Georgia
Old 2013-02-04, 5:11pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
This is my first outing with the Loetz frits. I think mine are more of a fine powder than your are. Is this kinda what I'm looking for? Thanks again
Beautiful! Yes, that's exactly the effect... kind of an ancient luster effect. I love those!

Old 2013-02-04, 5:11pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glvz View Post
Kalera, Thank you for the lovely bead! I wasn't expecting capped and cored. I will enjoy wearing it.

Education as an adult, to me, was much more worthwhile than straight from high school. You know what your goals are and make the most of the experience. Keep up the good work.

Georgia
You are so welcome... thank you!

Old 2013-02-04, 9:03pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Kalera it is totally your fault that I am now in love with BE & loetz frits & silver blue & all the othrr things you have shown us in this thread. My bank balance will *never* forgive you .

Old 2013-02-05, 6:52am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Pat, those beads are gorgeous, I can't tell the difference between the frits yet but they look a bit like the ones I made today with the blue/green/gold frit. I'll post a pic tomorrow after they've been cleaned.

Old 2013-02-05, 9:16am

Thankyou, Robyn. I used some other frit first and then the Loetz because mine is rather powdery.
Old 2013-02-05, 2:31pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Kalera it is totally your fault that I am now in love with BE & loetz frits & silver blue & all the othrr things you have shown us in this thread. My bank balance will *never* forgive you .
I feel your pain! At this point, almost all the money I have coming in from beads goes right back out for new supplies I just can't resist!

Old 2013-02-05, 6:37pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Pat it looks great layered for sure!

I posted these in the main gallery but thought I would post here too. Can anyone work out why I have been sucked into the BE vortex?

Thanks Kalera!
Attached Images

Old 2013-02-05, 6:52pm
Melody of Glass

Love those, Robyn!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-02-05, 6:53pm

WOW!!! Gorgeous!!!!!

Old 2013-02-06, 9:34am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Pat it looks great layered for sure!

I posted these in the main gallery but thought I would post here too. Can anyone work out why I have been sucked into the BE vortex?

Thanks Kalera!
Oooh, stunning! I love those!

Old 2013-02-06, 3:13pm

Nice buttons. I think we are just a bunch of glass, frit, tool hoes!
Old 2013-02-24, 9:35am

Default Tumbling question

Kalera,
I saw somewhere your mention of waxing beads after tumbling them. I am about to begin tumbling my glass, and I wonder what sort of wax you use? I have put a bit of mineral oil on my sand blasted items, but it doesn't seem to last well.
On another subject, I agree with you about Amazon Bronze being a great frit. I have done a lot of experimenting, but I get very inconsistent results. Do you cook the heck out of it before casing? Do you cool and then reduce before casing? I am aiming for good strong variety of colors, not just a metallic look.
Thanks again for all your sharing.
Old 2013-02-28, 8:08pm
I'm a lilac!

For wax, I just rub a dab of lip balm between my palms and then roll the beads between my hands... it gets rid of the chalky look beads can have after tumbling.

I don't do ANYTHING special with Amazon Bronze; neutral flame, melt it in, encase, that's it! I think that the base glass makes a mountain of difference; it looks great on anything blue and most things pink, IME.

Old 2013-03-01, 11:21am

Gracias, Kalera, I think using lip balm is a little bit of genius. I must have a dozen kinds on hand.
As to Am Bronze, I just need to get out there and work with it more. It may be that I'm not keeping my flame neutral.
Old 2013-03-02, 8:43am
I'm a lilac!

Heehee! I am a big fan of using what I have on hand.