Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-01, 1:34pm
Dix Harrison

Default Help? Best way to stop the color bleed?

I have been making small colored dots on a black Tuxedo base bead.

Dots made of blue, turquoise, and green glass stringers do not bleed, keep a strong round shape and are opaque.

Dots made of orange, yellow, yellow-orange, and EDP do bleed and/or look cloudy and faded...

I tried making encased stringers. Didn't help. Not one iota.

Should I instead, put a small dot of clear on the black base before adding the dot of color?

[I'm befuddled. Don't work with solid colors much. Mostly do silver glass and Dark Ivory, Copper Green, Opal Yellow base glass--"organicky" kinds of beads.]

Can you help?
Old 2013-04-01, 2:09pm

Encase dot before fully melting in would work.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-04-01, 2:41pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Ok, two things are at play, here. Opacity and spreadiness (that's a word). For example, Nile green is super spready and very opaque while regular effetre orange is not spready and slightly translucent. So, when you put orange on CIM tuxedo black, which is a slightly spready black, it shows through the slightly translucent orange and makes the dot either misshapen or smaller, depending on how molten you get the area. So then you end up with a sad, dull colored not round dot.

You can try a couple things to fix the opacity problem. You can use a more opaque orange, like coral, or you can try putting a small white dot under the orange.

The size/shape problem can be overcome by really controlling the heat applied to the dot. Try giving it a little heat and touching the dot with a tool to stop the heat from spreading the dot too much. I like a heat, press, heat, press approach. Once the dot is flat, heat no more directly to that area.

This is only my opinion and your mileage may vary. To get a more accurate answer we would need to see how you are working with the glass. Internet diagnoses are always tricky.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2013-04-01, 3:24pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
...Nile green is super spready and very opaque...

...regular effetre orange is not spready and slightly translucent...

...CIM tuxedo black, which is a slightly spready black...
Lori, how do you remember all these freakin' DETAILS?!? *sigh* I hate my Swiss cheese brain.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-04-01, 3:27pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Because I don't remember my phone number, my age, or how to get home from here, there is lots of room for glass color idiosyncrasies.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2013-04-01, 3:35pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
Because I don't remember my phone number, my age, or how to get home from here, there is lots of room for glass color idiosyncrasies.
Oh. I think I'd rather have the glass color idiosyncrasies than all that other garbage. :^)

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-04-01, 6:02pm
Dix Harrison

Geez Lori:

Never occurred to me to put white underneath. Makes perfect sense.

I can also try the heat control.

I just knew there had to be something I wasn't thinking about...

Thanks a ton!

Dix
Old 2013-04-01, 7:34pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Oh and EDP is SUPER spready. A white dot and all the patting in the world won't keep that beezee contained. Best to either use a different purple or keep the dot slightly raised or learn to love it for its crazy ways.

*f

Old 2013-04-02, 2:18pm
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
LOL! I have that same problem.

~