Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-08, 6:49pm
Senior Moment

You may have something there Eileen. Raku is opaque; the Iris Yellow and Iris Gold recommended for the technique are both transparent. It may be actually hiding some of the reaction.

And how are you encasing? Winding? Striping? What kind of torch?

Alli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2012-10-22, 9:02am
Loving learning

Hi Alli, I missed this, sorry.
I'm on a Minor. I do have a HH too, but my sister has it right now. I can try it one day to see if it makes a difference.
I don't do the encasing any special way, just whatever works for the bead shape. If a small round/donut, I just wind a lot of it on the center & let it melt down the sides. On a tab, I just smush it on.
Old 2012-11-06, 10:30pm

Finally I'm posting a picture of a bead. This is an Ivory base with Copper Green dots and the magic stringer.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2012-11-07, 5:10am
Evil Glass Enabler

Great bead, Nance. Thanks for showing it off. Angelique

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2013-04-12, 7:52pm

I need to find this thread next week, before I forget today's bathroom posts.
Old 2013-04-13, 12:58am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadbroad View Post
I need to find this thread next week, before I forget today's bathroom posts.
Bummer, I've been away from Bathroom access all day. What did I miss?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-04-13, 8:05am
Loving learning

Pat (eregal) bought straw yellow, but couldn't remember why, so was directed here
Old 2013-04-27, 11:30am
Dianne Gleaton

Default WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly designs 56 View Post
omg, if you do a tutorial for this i would DEFINITELY BUY IT~!!
I would love to learn how to get these reactions also......tutorial???? Or could you share? TIA, Dianne
Old 2013-04-27, 11:45am
Keep on keepin' on...

I tried the straw yellow dipped in iris gold, pulled to stringer. I dabbed and swirled it randomly on striking red, I think 076, and encased. I did not have carnelian and can't seem to find it. I was amazed at the reaction! I did the same uncased and it just looked black. I haven't tried other combo's yet but its on the list that's growing ever longer!

Old 2013-12-06, 12:34pm
Bead semi-newbie

eeegads, it was 20 degrees in my studio, definitely real boro weather, i digress. Got tooled up for the fake boro babies, even got the Magic blue, green, gold from That Frit Girl. i recommend buying those mixes and didn't know about the Magic Purple which -- doesn't it always -- was my totally fav combo on top of red cooper green, see photos. she had sent a couple of small samples, those are the ones i should have ordered. her Magic Iris Gold and Magic Iris Purple, be sure to get some of those. here's a link:

http://www.shop.thatfritgirl.com/Iro...Blends_c15.htm

now on to my results

LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-12-06, 1:07pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Hmmm. I might actually have to make another frit order. I love the Magic Purple especially. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraconklin View Post
eeegads, it was 20 degrees in my studio, definitely real boro weather, i digress. Got tooled up for the fake boro babies, even got the Magic blue, green, gold from That Frit Girl. i recommend buying those mixes and didn't know about the Magic Purple which -- doesn't it always -- was my totally fav combo on top of red cooper green, see photos. she had sent a couple of small samples, those are the ones i should have ordered. her Magic Iris Gold and Magic Iris Purple, be sure to get some of those. here's a link:

http://www.shop.thatfritgirl.com/Iro...Blends_c15.htm

now on to my results

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2013-12-06, 1:29pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Oh my!

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2013-12-09, 11:58am

So Sara, did you use the straw or lt brown to pull your stringers? Or did you just dip and wind? That Magic purple is calling my name.
Very pretty beads.

My Ebay

Last edited by glasslass2; 2013-12-09 at 12:17pm.
Old 2013-12-09, 2:48pm
Bead semi-newbie

i dutifully recorded what i used where when i began but found that it didn't make much of a difference between the straw or brown so i stopped keeping notes. sorry. if you get the purple get some of the Magic iris gold, i think she hid some goldstone in that sucker and it shows up as lovely streaks once and a while.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-12-09, 2:53pm
Bead semi-newbie

aaaagh, i think the cool stuff is actually called Magic Gold Fire not the Magic Iris Gold. Trudged out into the snow and my really cold studio to confirm. Yes, get magic Gold Fire and Magic Purple Iris. i am ordering now
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-12-09, 3:24pm

I always used chunk Iris Gold and Effetre LT Brown Transparent!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2013-12-09, 5:40pm
Bead semi-newbie

what do you get? come on PaulaD cough up some snappy pics
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-12-09, 5:44pm

Ack! Already placed my order and didn't see your message til now Sara. I have Val Cox iris gold and was planning on using that. Shoot will need to add the magic gold fire. I appreciate you braving the cold and snow to find out for me. I'm just a wee bit confused. You didn't use the purple with the gold fire together correct?

My Ebay
Old 2013-12-10, 10:11am
Bead semi-newbie

nope, i made separate stringers out of each glass, the Magic Gold Fire and the Purple. i forgot which base glass i used to make the stringers, as i said, they both give similar effects (straw v. brown). i quickly ordered more of each color since i worried that this message would begin some stampede, scarcity is such a negative emotion. but, hey, my order is SHIPPING as we speak.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-12-10, 2:41pm

Sara, I don't have photos and the beads are either sold or given away. But that recipe has been around a long time. I may have even gotten it off the ISGB or WC forum years ago. Can't remember for sure. I did get the cobalt over black to keep it black trick on the ISGB forum but the old forum is no longer there.!

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2013-12-12, 9:30am

I did find this bead. This is my batch of SuperNova rolled in silver leaf with Effetre Rubino swiped over it (Gold Ruby) and then encased in Lauscha clear. I am going to guess that any rubyish frit would do the same thing.

eta I have been thinking of other ways to work these ingredients. A stringer or twisty of the same recipe might work better than what I did in this bead. Also since Lauscha clear turns silver leaf or foil gold-ish you might be able to get the same look from both of those together maybe in a twisty made into a bead. I sure wish my torch was not in storage with the rest of the glass right now!
Damn those bubbles!

Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2013-12-12 at 12:21pm.
Old 2014-01-02, 11:02am

Did I kill the thread after 88000 views with my really bad bead?

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-01-04, 4:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Did I kill the thread after 88000 views with my really bad bead?
Paula, you did not kill the thread. I am glad you kept it going, I just ordered some Iris Gold and cant wait to try it.
I cant believe how long this thread has been going.
Nice bead by the way:
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2014-01-06, 3:40pm

Thanks Bob.

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-01-07, 7:40pm
Night Person

Default Faux Boro with "Magic Purple Iris" Frit

A duplicate post from the beadroller gallery thread, but they definitely belonged here too and I was so proud of the colors!

Base of Carnelian Opalino (536) with stringer doodles of Magic Purple Iris frit pulled on Straw Yellow (049), encased with super clear.

Old 2014-01-07, 8:01pm
Evil Glass Enabler

WANT!!! Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenBraid View Post
A duplicate post from the beadroller gallery thread, but they definitely belonged here too and I was so proud of the colors!

Base of Carnelian Opalino (536) with stringer doodles of Magic Purple Iris frit pulled on Straw Yellow (049), encased with super clear.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Old 2014-01-10, 4:05pm

Nina I tried the magic purple pulled on lt brown and all I got was black. Did u reduce the beads before u encased or did anything special to get those gorgeous colors?

My Ebay
Old 2014-01-12, 4:44pm
Night Person

Thanks Angelique! I know what I'll send in if there's another frit beads challenge. I was messing with this again today and have some beads in the kiln. Snapped a quick picture of my blob with 1 dip, and a comparison of my stringers on straw yellow (left), a 3/32" mandrel and some lt brown (right). My stringers are pretty thick. As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter which one you use. They look and react the same to me.

I did a repeat of those beads from above, this time with the lt brown version of the stringer. Carnelian base, stringer doodled on, stringer melted in, NOT reduced or anything special (Lightened in photoshop to show Kat that yes, it's an ugly brown-black), then encased with colors starting to show. Hopefully it brightens up in the kiln, my others were dark too.
Old 2014-01-12, 4:48pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Nina, they're amazing. I didn't realize they were encased. (Because I'm a ditz and my eyes skipped on that part of the post.) Cool! Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Old 2014-01-12, 5:20pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I've had a request for a bead with the boro honeycomb effect.

I was thinking maybe doing clear/transparent base, encasing thinly with a silver glass, then maybe plunging a clear stringer (but not twisting), breaking it off. And repeating around the bead, reducing and encasing again.
Might well fall in a big heap, but I'll give it a go this week and see what happens.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107