Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-01-10, 4:19pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Default When making jewelry from your beads..

what is most important to you? I say having enough good light, but a friend of mine says you can always add another lamp, what you need is space. Another friend says having everything organized. And of course, having good tools. But I just thought maybe we could pool our thoughts and come up with some good ideas for your jewelry assembly space..

I would start with something as simple as a somewhat smooth towel or cloth to work on, to make sure beads don't roll away.
Old 2015-01-10, 8:17pm
Student!

Definitely some sort of mat t prevent things from rolling away but I find hAving my findings organized and at my fingertips to be most important. That said, I've reorganized everything several times now.

I tend to buy things I like, assuming I will eventually need them. So whenever there's a bead show near here, I'm reorganizing!

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2015-01-10, 8:38pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

I would agree with a mat & good tools. Cheap tools are often false economy, not only are they more likely to break but they are also more likely to scratch your jewellery or not cut cleanly in the case of wire cutters.

Space is over rated, I can make jewellery in a a space 3 inches square .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-10, 11:17pm
Judy Nelson

Organization is over rated. That is until I can't find something. And I love the bright, white LED bulbs, a bit pricey though they may last near to forever. And I agree,having lots of beads and findings at hand is great.
Also, agree with Mrs.D.
Happy beading!
Old 2015-01-11, 8:23am
Disconnected

All of the above, but I'd say organization is the most important to me. My ideas will be lost if I have to look for the right components. And to me, organization means space. I have a small desk devoted to both lampwork (assembling sets, parking and sorting beads, etc) and jewelry making and I have to keep it organized.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-11, 9:59am

A bead mat...they are super cheap, and keep things from rolling around. I put mine on top of a cookie sheet (with a lip).

Enough findings...I can't tell you how annoying it is to make a bunch of earrings and then not have enough ear wires/clasps.

A pinterest full of inspiration....but really, it's good to have some design ideas. I tend to let Pinterest inspire me, and then make it my own. Nothing like sitting down to work and realizing you don't have a clue what you want to make. A design notebook is even better, but I tend to have scraps of paper instead.

Coordinating beads/spacers/etc. It's great to have your focal...but sometimes you have a great idea, and no coordinating pieces to go with it.
Old 2015-01-11, 10:00am

Oh...I work in a relatively small, mobile space...it works for me because it has to....but it would be nice to have an area to leave your work in if you needed to stop for a day or so....
Old 2015-01-15, 5:32pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

What is this "jewelry assembly space" you speak of? I work in my lap, usually around a sleeping cat.

L-111

Old 2015-01-15, 5:51pm

Hmmm. I've been a jewelry maker for 23 years. I still use the cheapo Afghani jewelry pliers I bought at the traveling bead show 23 years ago. My 'work space' is constantly piled high with stuff I pulled out of this box or that tote that I didn't want to take to a show with me. My 'studio space' is all of about a 1 1/2' x 3' space that I move equipment into and out of, depending on what I'm doing. My tools other than jewelers tools are what I've picked up and modified to work for me. Nothing cost more than $20, except my kiln, torch and infinite rim marble mold. Lots of handmade stuff.
I'd have to say the only thing that I simply cannot work without would be my brain. When I'm having an off day, it would not help to have the most expensive tool in the world, it's just not gonna happen. On a really good day, all my crappy, second-hand, modified tools do what I need them to do, with a minimum of fuss.
Old 2015-01-15, 6:19pm
Sparkle Strumpet

Choice....having an assortment of accessories...beads, findings, ribbon, charms and wire....

Space...I can make jewelry in a tray. Light...I need it and want it, regular room light is enough unless I am working seeds beads. Organization? well, you have to be to make jewelry in a tray.

Tools? whatever works....I use a tool from the fishing department to straighten wire...$4

I used to sell 300 bracelets a year at bead shows...and made 290 of them in front of the TV from a tray!

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2015-01-15, 6:32pm
Uh Oh....

Good eyes. If ya can't see, it's hard to make anything.