Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2018-08-25, 9:42am

Default EZ Fire Enamels on beads

Wondering if anyone has used the EZ Fire Enamels on lampwork beads? Widely used on fused glass but states that they are used for beadmaking too. Curious if they are used wet to paint on completed beads and refired or if they can be used in powder form as we are familiar with. Specifically asking about the brand EZ Fire Enamels - thanks.

June
Old 2018-08-27, 9:29pm
MacGalver

Hey June ~ from what the website

https://www.fusionheadquarters.com/e...mels-s/338.htm

says, you can use them on 90 or 96 COE glass, or on window glass (usually rated at 82 COE). That's a pretty wide range of glass for it to be compatible on, I'd be surprised if it could also stretch to be compatible with 104 COE, which is what most lampworking glass is. The website does not say one way or the other.

If you made your beads with any of the listed glasses, it sounds like it would work just fine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2018-08-31, 3:23am

I asked the manufacturer for some specific tips on how to use the enamels for lampworking this is what I learned. Sounds like a very versatile product - can't wait to try some of these ideas. Just wanted to share.

* painted on wet on a finished bead then cured in a kiln
* used dry like other enamel powders and fired in the torch flame
* Mix wet, brush into large chunks of frit. Once dry, pick up the bits with a hot bead and torch shape
* Brush onto a cold bead still on the mandrel then flame mature the Enamels
* Roll a hot bead into a mix Of dry enamels and fine frit
* EZ Fire Enamels can handle the heat, up to 1650, don’t be afraid to work them in a flame
* Mix with Liquid Stringer Medium and draw piping lines in a bead or shard, then flame mature
Old 2018-08-31, 11:39am

That does sound interesting!

I also have hazy memories of someone using a clever technique where you reverse paint an image in enamels onto a piece of flat, clear glass; heat it up in the kiln, then pick it up with a tube bead and roll it around to encase the bead.
The lady who did it had a website, I'm sure someone will chip in with her name.

I'm looking forward to see what you make!
Old 2018-08-31, 1:04pm
MacGalver

Did she answer if these enamels are compatible with 104 glass? The techniques sound interesting, but compatibility is the key!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsknow4445 View Post
I asked the manufacturer for some specific tips on how to use the enamels for lampworking this is what I learned. Sounds like a very versatile product - can't wait to try some of these ideas. Just wanted to share.

* painted on wet on a finished bead then cured in a kiln
* used dry like other enamel powders and fired in the torch flame
* Mix wet, brush into large chunks of frit. Once dry, pick up the bits with a hot bead and torch shape
* Brush onto a cold bead still on the mandrel then flame mature the Enamels
* Roll a hot bead into a mix Of dry enamels and fine frit
* EZ Fire Enamels can handle the heat, up to 1650, don’t be afraid to work them in a flame
* Mix with Liquid Stringer Medium and draw piping lines in a bead or shard, then flame mature

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2018-08-31, 6:35pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post

I also have hazy memories of someone using a clever technique where you reverse paint an image in enamels onto a piece of flat, clear glass; heat it up in the kiln, then pick it up with a tube bead and roll it around to encase the bead.

That was Bronwen Heilman----she made some cool pieces!
Old 2018-08-31, 10:29pm
MacGalver

Quote:

There used to be an online tutorial for this ~ it wasn't Bronwen Heilman (I know she does a similar technique), but another artist who kindly published her own steps for accomplishing this. I'm thinking she was Canadian... she also did tracing an image through a piece of flat glass with oil and then sifting enamel onto it. The image I recall was from a comic book page, it was very cool.

The trick of course is that you need sheet glass that is compatible with your base bead glass. But, you could do a clever work around with sheet window glass and just use strips of the same glass to make the base bead, then coat in enamel to create a background color, and then apply the stamped/drawn/painted clear sheet on top. I have the bookmark for that page somewhere, but I don't know where....

Old 2018-09-01, 11:41am

After a good deal of rummaging, I've found the name of the artist: Deborah Read!
Her tutorial on this method is excellent - as is her work.

I can't find the link to her tutorial, but now you know who to search for!

I don't know anyone in the UK that sells Effetre sheet, so I suppose the easy way would be to work in Bullseye rod and Tekta sheet; or any 96 glass with Spectrum clear.
Old 2018-09-04, 2:44am

Default here is the tutorial

Quote:
After a good deal of rummaging, I've found the name of the artist: Deborah Read!
Her tutorial on this method is excellent - as is her work.

I can't find the link to her tutorial, but now you know who to search for!

I don't know anyone in the UK that sells Effetre sheet, so I suppose the easy way would be to work in Bullseye rod and Tekta sheet; or any 96 glass with Spectrum clear.
here is the link I found

http://deborahreadcom.blogspot.com/s...nted+beads+101

Thank you for finding her name - what a cool idea - I recall loving her etching on copper designs. I have asked for confirmation that the EZ Fire enamels are compatible with 104 and will post as soon as I get an answer.
Old 2018-09-05, 10:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frit Diva View Post
Did she answer if these enamels are compatible with 104 glass? The techniques sound interesting, but compatibility is the key!

Yes - I asked for confirmation and was told that similar to using 90 and 96 frits on our beads a thick application of the EZ fire enamels is likely to crack - works fine with a light hand in thinner layers. I also imagine that it will be necessary to experiment to determine which color combinations of glass and enamels work best - that is part of the fun.
Old 2018-09-05, 2:06pm

I'm so glad you found the link. It's a really impressive technique, isn't it?

I'll know a lot more about working with enamels in a week or so - I'm going to do the Astrid Riedel enamel 'painting' bead day at Tuffnell's!
Old 2018-09-11, 4:29am

Quote:
I'm so glad you found the link. It's a really impressive technique, isn't it?

I'll know a lot more about working with enamels in a week or so - I'm going to do the Astrid Riedel enamel 'painting' bead day at Tuffnell's!

Oh my - what a lucky woman you are - the thought of that gives me goosebumps!
Old 2018-09-16, 1:14pm

It was absolutely brilliant! I'd definitely recommend taking a class with her if you can.

Meantime: if you are working in 104 and don't find the EZ Fire satisfactory, Thompson enamels for 104 glass are only £1 per 5g tube from Tuffnell's, so you can get a good colour range quite cheaply. A little goes a long way, it's very economical.

Remember you need really good ventilation as you work!