No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-06-08, 7:32pm
Angie09

Default Help with metal coring of beads

Well, after selling my Jim Moore bead liner a couple of years ago cuz "I'm not going to make big hole beads any more" ... I find myself wanting to get back into it. Duhhhh.... so thinking of purchasing the Nortel this time as it comes with all the different accessories. I want to use 4mm mandrels ... what size tubing do I need to purchase and where is a good place to buy it? I'm thinking some brass and then some sterling once I get the hang of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 2016-06-09, 6:09am
Angie09

Somebody help ... I've read through the past threads but just don't see the info I need. HELP .....please!!
Old 2016-06-09, 7:13pm
Angie09

I'm amazed ... no one doing big hole bead lining?? I figured someone would know ... you all are always so helpful!!
Old 2016-06-10, 2:10pm

Things have been really slow around here. I core my beads with an Impress. I use all the standard size stuff so I'm no help with your specific size. Are you on Facebook? The forum over there is very active.

My Facebook business page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2016-06-10, 2:13pm
Angie09

Hi Diane ... thank you for your response!!! Yes, I'm active on FB ... what is the forum name so I can join. There has been very little information that is current ... lots going back to 2009!! Any info is greatly appreciated!
Old 2016-06-10, 3:26pm

It is "Lampwork Beadmaking Tips, Techniques and Questions". See you there!

My Facebook business page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2016-06-27, 5:38pm

And no wonder this forum is so empty.
Old 2016-06-27, 6:32pm
FatCat Mama

Angie, I'm sorry I don't have answers for most of your questions, all I can tell you is the mandrel size I use is larger (maybe 5mm). It has to be larger, the only thing I remember for certain is the inner diameter of the sterling tubing I used is 4.37mm. I bought that tubing in a bulk buy - I think the organizer purchased the supply at Thunderbird(?). I haven't looked in ages, but I remember there used to be tubing for sale on Etsy.
Good luck - I hope you find the info you need.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2016-06-27, 10:24pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri.p View Post
Angie, I'm sorry I don't have answers for most of your questions, all I can tell you is the mandrel size I use is larger (maybe 5mm). It has to be larger, the only thing I remember for certain is the inner diameter of the sterling tubing I used is 4.37mm. I bought that tubing in a bulk buy - I think the organizer purchased the supply at Thunderbird(?). I haven't looked in ages, but I remember there used to be tubing for sale on Etsy.
Good luck - I hope you find the info you need.
Yes, 5mm mandrel and tubing from http://www.ijsinc.com/ that has the 4.37mm ID. If you need the actual item number I can get it for you.

Old 2016-06-28, 8:49am

I think ginkgo something had tubes I bought on etsy.
Old 2016-06-28, 12:22pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass addict View Post
I think ginkgo something had tubes I bought on etsy.
She no longer sells it but she got it from the link I posted.

Old 2016-06-28, 3:43pm

Amy
Can you post the item number?

Thanks
Old 2016-06-28, 3:46pm
Storm Queen

https://ijsinc.com/p-7697-ss-tubing-...-437mm-id.aspx

Old 2016-06-28, 3:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Thank you very much!😊
Old 2016-06-29, 5:50pm
Angie09

Thank you everyone for your help!! I'm still on the fence as to whether I want to take on coring beads again. My daughter did it before and I'm just not sure I have the time it's going to take and I'm thinking it won't increase my profits much. But you never know ... I may wake up tomorrow and go for it! Again, my thanks to all who have contributed!!
Old 2016-07-16, 11:37am

Hi Angie,
Sorry, I don't hang out here much these days or I would have answered sooner. Your tubing OD should match the mandrel size. For 4 mm OD tubing you can use a 5/32 inch mandrel. For 5 mm OD tubing you can use a 3/16 mandrel, and keep your release on the thick side. For Pandora style beads, you should use the 5 mm OD X 4.37 MM ID tubing from IJSINC mentioned above. 4 mm OD tubes will not fit over a Pandora bracelet. The ID is too small. Of course, I suggest you give the Impress Beadliner a try.
Regards,
Dave