Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-15, 2:04pm
Astro Cat

Default hot plate for murrini

I just took a class from Akihiro Okama which included making some beautiful Murrini. The class was totally awesome! Anyway, I have wanted to learn to make murrini for a long time, and now that I have taken a class I feel like starting to try it on my own. I'd like some input on what would be a good way to heat murrini components in terms of a hot plate. This would not be instead of putting parts in a kiln but in addition. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dee
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my Scorpion!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-02-15, 2:10pm
honorary bead lady

Are you talking about heating chips for beads or heating murrini components
Old 2012-02-15, 3:45pm
Unmedicated since '62

i just bought a small single hotplate - works like a charm

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-02-15, 4:07pm
Astro Cat

The components and chips
my Scorpion!
Old 2012-02-15, 4:10pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I have been searching for a hot plate for ages. The stores just do not seem to sell them now.

Old 2012-02-15, 4:15pm
honorary bead lady

Try goodwill/thrift stores, also the little foreman type grills work if you block them open with a screw or something

For components, (stacking murrini) they don't get hot enough
Old 2012-02-15, 4:18pm

I use a candle warmer hotplate to put my murrini on before putting it on the bead. Helps to keep the shocking down on the the murrini when I flash it in the flame.

LynieG
Old 2012-02-15, 4:23pm
Astro Cat

So for all components they need to go into the kiln?
I figure that is safest but thought that perhaps some sizes might be okay to keep prewarmed on a hot plate.
my Scorpion!
Old 2012-02-15, 5:27pm
Sucks at being nice

I would recommend garaging all of your pieces in the kiln. It sucks to lose a component to shock right when you are trying to put them all together. It can still happen when you pull them from the kiln but it's less likely.

Old 2012-02-15, 5:41pm
Ready to hit the road

This works really nice. I use it for the glass rods and put murrini slices on top.
http://www.amazon.com/Belson-GH5000-...9352825&sr=8-1

Old 2012-02-15, 6:13pm
Unmedicated since '62

this is what i bought

http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/warner..._hotplate_KHP1

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-02-15, 7:04pm
Astro Cat

Thanks everyone .
my Scorpion!
Old 2012-02-15, 8:01pm
Mary Lockwood

I use a laboratory hot plate. It gets really hot and I can use it for lots of different things. I make lots of figural glass pieces and I use the hot plate to hold all my components (like dragon heads and bird wings), murrini and cane components. Mine is student sized because my work area is small (it is about 4 inches in diameter), but you can get bigger ones. Be prepared to pay though. I lucked out and sniped mine for a steal on eBay but if you're in a hurry and want to buy one outright they can be pricey.

Just search for laboratory hot plate on eBay and you'll find 'em. Don't get one with a 'stirrer'...you don't need it or want it.

~~Mary

Old 2012-02-15, 8:11pm
Mary Lockwood

Thermolyne is a good brand name. Put that in your search too....thermolyne hotplate.

Old 2012-02-15, 8:13pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I don't understand "can't find a hotplate".....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hot+plate

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2012-02-15, 8:19pm
I'm meeeeelting

I was going to make the same suggestion as Betsy.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-02-15, 8:28pm
Critter Mom

I also have a laboratory hot plate that I got off of eBay...gets really HOT...works perfectly.

Old 2012-02-15, 9:21pm
Super Duper

For preheating slices almost any hotplate will do.

Heating components can be a lot harder depending on size. Pieces with a diameter of less than 1cm are probably fine on a hotplate.

For things like butterfly wings that might be 2-4cm across ( http://ryanglass.awardspace.biz/images/pictures.jpg ) I wouldn't dare preheat them on an open surface that is exposed to drafts. They all go in the kiln.

I run my kiln at 1030. My glass sags over the day so I am at pretty much the upper limit. Your kiln may measure temperature slightly differently so start at around your annealing temperature and go up if stuff is cracking. I found that at 960-980f parts would crack if I held was too slow coming out of the kiln.

Opening the door to grab parts can be a pain. For small parts where the kiln is too much trouble I will use my devardi rod warmer.

Last edited by RyanTheNumberImp; 2012-02-15 at 9:26pm.
Old 2012-02-15, 10:27pm
Astro Cat

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate the info!
my Scorpion!
Old 2012-02-21, 7:35pm

Default hot plate

I just got my Belson rod warmer today...it is for heating hair curling irons and combs. I love it. I put my rods in the open compartment, and murrini either on top or inside. I have never had such a luxury. Find the link on Betsy's post.
Xiola

Old 2012-02-21, 8:02pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
I don't understand "can't find a hotplate".....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hot+plate

Dale
Um, I am referring to shopping locally in stores here.