LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-26, 6:34pm

Question Head pins

Does anyone know how to make a small glass ball on the end of a piece of silver wire? How is this done without making the silver wire melt? Thank you for your knowledge.
Old 2009-09-26, 7:10pm
Debra Clutter

I make them sometimes. It is easiest with 18g wire or 16g, though I have made them on 20g. I put the wire in a pin vise and add the glass on the end and rotate the pin vise. Keep the silver out of the flame! Just heat the glass and add it to the wire. it takes some practice. You can also use high temp wire which won't melt.

This is a picture of a headpin with High temp wire. I ended up wrapping the wire with silver to hide the high temp wire.

This one is made with 20g wire.

I hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2009-09-26, 7:14pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I make my headpins on the end of a mandrel, then epoxy the silver wire in afterwards. *s*
Attached Images

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2009-09-26, 7:28pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Very Pretty Debra
Sharon, those bright ones are right up my alley. What size mandrel and wire are you using, they look so big. The orange/yellow one is my fav!!
sue

Old 2009-09-26, 7:39pm
Debra Clutter

I like that Idea Sharon! That would give you more control and allow for more design elements. I am with Sue, what size mandrel are you using?

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2009-09-27, 9:07am

Default Small glass ball headpins

What about using enamels? I read something in a magazine once. Heat the end, pick up enamel, melt enamel, and repeat. That way you can make the ball as big as you want. I'm not sure what gauge of wire would be the best to use. I would use the same as you would have used to wire wrap your bead. Good luck.

Tara
Old 2023-08-24, 11:57am

I use 20 g stainless steel. I polish the steel after the flameworking. Always comes up shiny! Here are some examples. I use 4" of ss to start. Cut off excess.
Attached Images

Old 2023-08-24, 6:16pm

Nice!