Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2015-06-07, 11:22am

Default I need help!!!

Hello everybody. My name is Nick, ive been thinking for a few years now to start a homebased bussines, something i can create and use my imagination to create art.i think lampworking is that thing.So i have a few questions if any of you guys can help me.First off all what tools would i need to have a decent start? I know i need the main ones: torch,kiln and oxygen generators but i dont know what to choose. From my internet browseing i was thi king of getting the knight bullet torch with the jen ken af3p kiln. Would that be a good start?Also another issue for me would be that i live in romania(europe) and i have no places to buy those tools from.there are no suppliers here.i think i will order them from us.But i could use some advices to know if i,m on the right path.

Thank you,
Nick
Old 2015-06-07, 11:49am
Loving learning

I would first see if you can find someone close to you that will allow you to try it, just to see if you like it before spending a lot of money on tools and glass.
Old 2015-06-07, 11:50am
Slogan Challenged...

Hi Nick! There are lots of threads for advice on starting here that might be helpful.

There are some suppliers in the Netherlands and Germany which may work out better price-wise.

I think that sounds like a big torch to start, but totally up to you. Depends on whether you want to make larger pieces or not. Also, think about oxygen supply. Would you use a concentrator or O2 tank? This will help you decide on the torch.

Good luck!

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2015-06-07, 12:16pm

Thank you for your answer. I know i will love it.i also do oil painting and i am an a actor (finished drama school) i could say i am an artistic soul so i can feel it in my bones that i will totally love it.anyway i have nowere to try it first.

As for the torch i know is big, i was thinking that is better to get something big so i can work also bigger pices if i want to and also boro and especially if i would like to sell them. I heard that the torch can also affect the colors of the glass and how good they turn out to be.Is it a good chooice if i want to do all of that? Or would i be able to work with something smaller for a few years and then upgrade.? And about oxygen supply what should i choose? Tank or generator? I heard generator would be cheaper on a long run but tank has more pressure!
Old 2015-06-07, 12:28pm

And if i go for a smaller torch mainly for beads and pendants(jewllery) what would you recomend me?
Old 2015-06-07, 1:16pm
Phill

I will suggest you start with a generator for your oxygen. Once you start making really big stuff you can add a tank but I think you will find the generator is more cost effective for starting out.

Plus you wont feel rushed to get something finished using a generator where as using a tank you can almost hear the money for refilling the tank jumping out of your pocket.
That will not allow much freedom to be creative while you learn how to get the glass to do what you want it to.

Please do the safety research on ventilation. The gases from the torch are bad enough but some of the colors in the glass can give off toxic fumes that can hurt you pretty badly.

Edited To Add: Oh and welcome to glass addiction.
Old 2015-06-07, 1:26pm

Thank you very much for your answer Phill, i will go for generator then. HOw about the torch, if i go for a smaller torch mainly for beads would nortel minor or mega minor be good? or should i get something else?or is it better to go with knight bullet so when the time comes to do bigger stuff i will allready have a good torch?

Last edited by nick4nick; 2015-06-07 at 1:35pm.
Old 2015-06-07, 2:30pm

Nortel minor is a good torch

GTT cricket,bobcat,lynx all the smaller torches run on an oxygen concentrator just fine.

Bethlehem Alpha and Bravo are good.

For something that's made on your side of the planet Look at the Herbert Arnold torches.
http://www.abrimagery.com/store/prod...torch-p-102193
Old 2015-06-07, 3:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post
Nortel minor is a good torch

GTT cricket,bobcat,lynx all the smaller torches run on an oxygen concentrator just fine.

Bethlehem Alpha and Bravo are good.

For something that's made on your side of the planet Look at the Herbert Arnold torches.
http://www.abrimagery.com/store/prod...torch-p-102193

Thanks for the answer, i also found a place in uk that also gives kits( 1torch,1oxycon generator and glasses) , nowwhat should i choose between a bobcat and a alpha?????
Old 2015-06-07, 3:56pm
Loving learning

That depends on who you ask, they're both good from what I hear.
I used an alpha with liquid oxygen to make a boro marble at a class, have never used a bobcat but a lot of people like them. I have a minor on a 5 lpm oxycon, and like it too!
Old 2015-06-07, 8:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4nick View Post
Thank you very much for your answer Phill, i will go for generator then. HOw about the torch, if i go for a smaller torch mainly for beads would nortel minor or mega minor be good? or should i get something else?or is it better to go with knight bullet so when the time comes to do bigger stuff i will allready have a good torch?
My advice is to buy the best you can afford. A larger multistage torch like a GTT Mirage or a Bravo will allow you to use the smaller stage starting out and multiple stages when you decide to grow the pieces. The time put in initially on either of those is then a good investment in your future. If you start with a small torch initially you will have to sell it later and the smaller ones do not hold their value well because a lot of folks make this mistake. I would never suggest an oxygen concentrator for a beginner wanting to work larger Boro in the future. Very small boro pieces like beads can be worked effectively using a concentrator but it requires experience and greater knowledge since you start right off being oxygen deprived. Again If and when you decide you want to make larger work then beads you will need to used compressed tanks or a liquid dewer. Why waste money on a concentrator now that will not be useful in the future? Find a way to use compressed tanks of oxygen. Sufficient ventilation is a must. Do some good research on talkglass.com to understand what is needed and how to do it. The Knight bullet had known design issues so it was only made for a short time and is definitely not a good choice for a beginner.

Last edited by LarryC; 2015-06-07 at 8:31pm.
Old 2015-06-07, 9:19pm
Living out Loud

Hi Nick,

I have a Bobcat and an oxygen concentrator. My advice is to continue asking questions and doing your research on line. Also go to the boro forum and ask questions there.

Good Luck.

Old 2015-06-07, 11:04pm
Slogan Challenged...

Ah a good question is whether you want to work soft glass (coe 104, 96, 90) or Boro (coe 33) as well. A smaller torch is fine for soft glass, up to small/med marble size. Alphas run great, they are the centerfire for a larger torch (Lynx?) so the learning curve is not as high if/when you upgrade. Plenty of us that do it full time have minors, alphas, bobcats, etc and don't need to get a larger torch.

Phil had a good point about the cost of tanked oxy affecting your ability to play around and create. But if you are learning boro, as Larry C said, it is not cheap in any case and that will just have to be part of the (high) expense.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-06-07, 11:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
Ah a good question is whether you want to work soft glass (coe 104, 96, 90) or Boro (coe 33) as well. A smaller torch is fine for soft glass, up to small/med marble size. Alphas run great, they are the centerfire for a larger torch (Lynx?) so the learning curve is not as high if/when you upgrade. Plenty of us that do it full time have minors, alphas, bobcats, etc and don't need to get a larger torch.

Phil had a good point about the cost of tanked oxy affecting your ability to play around and create. But if you are learning boro, as Larry C said, it is not cheap in any case and that will just have to be part of the (high) expense.
For the beggining i will do mainly soft glass ,murini,beads jewllery,etc .when i was thinking of getting something bigger i was thinking to have it bigger in case if in 1 or 2 years i decide to also to boro but after thinking that i will also have to spend some money on the small stuff ( ventilation,glass rods,other small tools,fire extinguser, etc) i decided to go with alpha and when the time comes to to bigger stuff or boro i will upgrade.Dosent hurt to have 2 torches .I will order it this week and also i decided to get the paragon SC2 kiln with Bead door.Thank you everybody for your answers and for your help and for wellcoming in this world of glass.
Old 2015-06-08, 7:11am
Loving learning

Good Luck, and I hope you enjoy it and it makes your heart sing!
Old 2015-06-08, 10:41am

Just because you start with a small torch you dont have to sell it later. I have tanked oxygen and a concentrator, propane and natural gas line in the studio. A bobcat and a cheetah.

Get he package with the GTT Bobcat and later you can upgrade torches,add concentrators, homefills and customize your gear as you find your niche.

My bobcat has been passed on to the wife.

Old 2015-06-08, 12:04pm
Phill

Having a small torch as a spare means you can teach someone and have a back up torch "just in case".
Old 2015-06-08, 1:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post
Just because you start with a small torch you dont have to sell it later. I have tanked oxygen and a concentrator, propane and natural gas line in the studio. A bobcat and a cheetah.

Get he package with the GTT Bobcat and later you can upgrade torches,add concentrators, homefills and customize your gear as you find your niche.

My bobcat has been passed on to the wife.

How many LPM is your concentrator? I can only get 5 lpm oxycon so i was thinking if i should get 1 or 2. What do you think
Old 2015-06-08, 1:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
Having a small torch as a spare means you can teach someone and have a back up torch "just in case".

True
Old 2015-06-08, 9:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4nick View Post
How many LPM is your concentrator? I can only get 5 lpm oxycon so i was thinking if i should get 1 or 2. What do you think
I have an 8LPM 15PSI. In the picture the cheetah on the left is on tanked oxygen.

The ticket is a homefil, they use 5LPM concentrators dialed down to 2-3 LPM.

I just got the homefil today and need to work the bugs out but its all plumbed in.
Old 2015-06-21, 9:01am
Dix Harrison

Don't even think about starting until you have a set of didymium glasses and a tested ventilation system that is appropriate in size for the space you are using.