Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-31, 2:40pm

Default ASK vs Kugler

Ok, I know that Arrow Springs stopped making ASK glass, but I am having such a difficult time with finding the Kugler glass I need. I have a few questions:
1. Are the names the same that ASK used? ie; silver cinnamon and silver rattan.
2. Does Kugler still make these colors? I can't seem to find the one I'm looking for, Silver Cinnamon.
3. Can someone recommend who in the US offers the most Kugler color choices?
thank you very much!

I think it's interesting how some places only give you a choice of 5 or 6 Kugler colors. Why not offer all of them? Olympic seems to have the most choices, but no silver cinnamon or silver rattan. Just wondering why. I'm sure I got it before, and it wasn't ASK, it was Kugler. I'm so confused. lol
I also don't understand, everyone loved the browns they offered, so if they stopped making them, I'm having a hard time understanding why.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by truegem; 2010-10-31 at 2:46pm.
Old 2010-10-31, 3:00pm

As far as I know Kugler has just given other names but still produces the same colours.
I think silver brown and silver petrol or sandbrown might be one of the ASK colours named silver rattan and silver cinnamon. Those are the very reactive colours of Kugler I have at home.

Kathrin
Old 2010-10-31, 3:03pm

I know it's not silver brown. That's a reducing color, and I have that one. This is an opaque brown and is very reactive. A real nice brown for organics.
Oh, and can you tell me where you buy yours? You can send me a pm if you aren't comfortable promoting a certain seller. Thanks =)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by truegem; 2010-10-31 at 3:06pm.
Old 2010-10-31, 3:24pm
Looking for my waistline

Here's the conversion chart from a thread discussing the discontinuation of the ASK line at Arrow Springs.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=106

If you go to the thread (I've only linked to the single post), you'll find all kinds of comments about color inconsistency from batch to batch in several colors.

Mike Frantz posted in the thread that you can find the Kugler lampworking cane through these folks. http://www.seattleglassblowing.com/
Old 2010-10-31, 3:39pm

You could also try the link http://hotglasscolor.com/search.aspx...urer=29&page=1. There are no photos, but they have a large selection of the Friedrich Farbglashutte COE104 colors that correspond to the old ASK colors.
Old 2010-10-31, 4:38pm

Yep, Hot Glass has a large selection of Kugler 104, called Beadmaking 104. Here's a color chart to go with most of the colors:

http://www.kuglercolors.de/coe104/perlen.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriB View Post
You could also try the link http://hotglasscolor.com/search.aspx...urer=29&page=1. There are no photos, but they have a large selection of the Friedrich Farbglashutte COE104 colors that correspond to the old ASK colors.

Old 2010-10-31, 4:57pm
T.J. made me do it

The Kugler that Olympic carries is 96coe. You want Beadmaking104.

Old 2010-10-31, 5:02pm

encase with caution
Old 2010-10-31, 6:56pm
Formerly FishBulb

Artistry In Glass has it as well, the whole colour line. They even have a sampler pack, one of each colour plus two clear.

Yellowbird, even if you encase with their own clear? I keep wanting to buy the AIG sampler pack (other things keep coming up, or I would have it by now!) and would like to know if encasing with their own clear is a no-no, before I invest too much time in doing it!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-11-01, 4:54am

Hi Patti,
I usually buy it at Kugler cause I'm living in Germany. It's the cheapest way.

Did you watch the color charts?
http://www.kuglercolors.de/beadmakin...ke_farben.html

Maybe you can finde out which is the one you are searching for if the threads in the links don't help.

Kathrin
Old 2010-11-01, 5:01am
Did someone say SALE?

ABR has a nice selection of Kugler colors!
Old 2010-11-01, 6:07am

I have only tried the ask not the newer beadmaking 104
I'm not sure what happens with kugler clear but I know many of them
crack with moretti.
Old 2010-11-01, 6:52am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
I know it's not silver brown. That's a reducing color, and I have that one. This is an opaque brown and is very reactive. A real nice brown for organics.
Oh, and can you tell me where you buy yours? You can send me a pm if you aren't comfortable promoting a certain seller. Thanks =)
silver cinnamon is a reducing color

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-11-01, 8:27am
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
You may be thinking of Reichenbach Silver Brown.

Old 2010-11-01, 8:28am

So it is called silver brown! I'm thinking of Reichenbach's Silver Brown, which is totally different.

Wow, this is all really confusing. And when you google "beadmaking 104", it takes you to beadmaking information, and information about COE 104, not the specific brand of glass.
Thanks, this information was very helpful!

Old 2010-11-01, 8:28am

Yes, Toni, we must have been posting at the same time... =)

Old 2010-11-01, 8:41am

Yay! I ordered it from Hot Glass Color! Thanks!

Old 2010-11-01, 1:09pm

I am a little confused. So silver cinnamon is now kuglar silver brown. But is Reich silver brown the same thing as Kuglar silver brown? I have some Reich silver brown and when people referred to silver cinnamon, I thought they were referring to that. Good grief!

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2010-11-01, 1:24pm
Looking for my waistline

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsky View Post
But is Reich silver brown the same thing as Kuglar silver brown?
Jeannie
No, they are different. Reichenbach and Kugler are two different glass manufacturers.
Old 2010-11-01, 1:29pm

Thanks Char. I guess it would be worth it then to purchase some of the Kuglar silver brown. I just didn't want to end up with two different silver browns that did the same thing. MMmmmm more glass I need to have.

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2010-11-01, 7:20pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Ok, I know that Arrow Springs stopped making ASK glass, but I am having such a difficult time with finding the Kugler glass I need. I have a few questions:
1. Are the names the same that ASK used? ie; silver cinnamon and silver rattan.
2. Does Kugler still make these colors? I can't seem to find the one I'm looking for, Silver Cinnamon.
3. Can someone recommend who in the US offers the most Kugler color choices?
thank you very much!

I think it's interesting how some places only give you a choice of 5 or 6 Kugler colors. Why not offer all of them? Olympic seems to have the most choices, but no silver cinnamon or silver rattan. Just wondering why. I'm sure I got it before, and it wasn't ASK, it was Kugler. I'm so confused. lol
I also don't understand, everyone loved the browns they offered, so if they stopped making them, I'm having a hard time understanding why.

Arrow Springs NEVER made ASK. It was manufactured by Kugler for Arrow Springs. Here is a thread I started many moons ago to clear up the confusion. They have since added a few new colors.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=109951

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-11-01 at 7:30pm.
Old 2010-11-01, 7:43pm

Now I have another question after reading Lorraine's link that she included in her post. It seems like there is a problem with compatability with Kuglar and the other glasses. Mostly I have seen silver cinnamon used as a base with stringers of silver glass melted in. It always looks beautiful. Anyway, so does this mean we need to be really careful with doing this? Maybe we just need to adhere to the % of glass added as when you are using frit of a different coe?

Jeannie

Old 2010-11-01, 8:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Arrow Springs NEVER made ASK. It was manufactured by Kugler for Arrow Springs. Here is a thread I started many moons ago to clear up the confusion. They have since added a few new colors.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=109951
Oh, ok....yes, they didn't manufacture it, I should have said they sold it.
Do you recommend any of these colors, Lorraine? Any colors that are pretty fabulous? lol

And...yes, Reichenbach Silver Brown and Kugler (AKA Beadmaking 104, AKA Friedrich Farbglashutte) Silver Brown are not the same thing. Wow, confusing! Reichenbach's reduces, kind of reminds me of Clio, but nowhere near as awesome as Clio (but still pretty cool). Someone said that Kugler's Silver Brown reduces, too. How do I describe that it's different...the surface reduces, but it doesn't have the floating ghostlike whisps that occur when I think of reducing. Does this sound right?

Jeannie - Kugler Silver Brown is just a really nice brown, (in my opinion). I like it for organics.
Kugler (ASK)

Reichenbach (the flower)

Reichenbach

More beads made with Reich Silver Brown:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...t=silver+brown

Last edited by truegem; 2010-11-01 at 9:01pm.
Old 2010-11-01, 11:05pm
Salt Box Beads

Basically all glass should be tested first before being used in a 'piece.' Most serious glass artists do this even with glass made by the same company and glass that is the same COE by different companies, especially the boro artists making large expensive pieces will test first. If they have two different batches of clear they will test them even though they came from the same company and are the same clear.

Lampworkers are fairly spoiled..LOL We have found out that some glasses mix well and it has broadened our color palette. We have most of the companies doing testing for us now. It wasn't this way until recently. Many still say to never mix coes PERIOD, and a lot of artists won't do it.

Some of us do because we can, we have a greater understanding now of glass and it properties.

Viscosity, has a lot to do with it, leaded glass, such as Reichenbach frits allows us to "fudge" the coes in one direction only. You can put the Reichenbach frit on the 104 in limited quantities but you can't put 104 on Reichenbach. ( someone correct me if I'am wrong here?)

We still have colors that do not play nice within Effetre, Vetrofond and other brands. We have a wonderful network of lampworkers that share their findings with us so a lot of the time we do not have to do the testing of every brand and new color.

I guess the truth is we are pushing the envelope every time we mix coes and every time we make complex or encased beads because without testing the chosen glass first we have a chance of incompatibility issues, even with the same manufacturer and coe.

JMHO...

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-11-02 at 9:17am.
Old 2010-11-01, 11:13pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Oh, ok....yes, they didn't manufacture it, I should have said they sold it.
Do you recommend any of these colors, Lorraine? Any colors that are pretty fabulous? lol

And...yes, Reichenbach Silver Brown and Kugler (AKA Beadmaking 104, AKA Friedrich Farbglashutte) Silver Brown are not the same thing. Wow, confusing! Reichenbach's reduces, kind of reminds me of Clio, but nowhere near as awesome as Clio (but still pretty cool). Someone said that Kugler's Silver Brown reduces, too. How do I describe that it's different...the surface reduces, but it doesn't have the floating ghostlike whisps that occur when I think of reducing. Does this sound right?

Jeannie - Kugler Silver Brown is just a really nice brown, (in my opinion). I like it for organics.
Kugler (ASK)

Reichenbach (the flower)

Reichenbach

More beads made with Reich Silver Brown:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...t=silver+brown
I love all of their colors! They are just fantastic, but I use them by themselves.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-11-02 at 9:16am.
Old 2010-11-01, 11:25pm

I can show 2 beads with different silver browns.

Reichenbach silver brown

Kugler silver brown

Love them both.

Elke

Old 2010-11-02, 4:10pm

Well, now it is perfectly clear and makes sense. I was easily fooled by the "same name by different manufacturers" thing.

Patti- Very nice beads!! I do like the silver cinnamon(ok lets call it kuglar silver brown) in organics. And I love the pink that you got out of the Reich silver brown. I'm gonna have to try that sometime.

Elke- More beautiful beads!! Thank you for the examples to show the difference in the glass. I love what it did to the base of ivory.

Jeannie