Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-06-21, 8:32pm

Default Mapp or Propane for a Hot Head

Some questions here on using Mapp vs. Propane on my Hot Head torch. Normally I am using a MegaMinor with propane and an oxycon. I have a Hot Head that I use occasionally with a 1# cylinder of Mapp. I was at the welding shop today and spoke with a clerk about buying Mapp in bulk. They can clean out a propane tank (7#) and fill it with 30# of Mapp for $66.00. I would apparently the use the same type regulator that I now use on my propane tank. Evidently an acetylene regulator can also be used for Mapp or propane. But then I thought that some of you Hot Head users are using propane regardless. So...what is the difference? I think that Mapp is a little hotter, cleaner??? Propane is much cheaper tho!

Next question...how in the world do you attach the Hot Head torch to a stable surface if it's just the torch head and hose to the tank???

My 14 year old grandson is flying out this week and we are going to work on lampworking. I would like to get an affordable setup for him (if he is interested enough) to use at home and a Hot Head with bulk gas appears to be the ticket!!! (I already bought the didy's)!

Feel free to chime in with any other info I might need on this subject

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-06-21, 11:33pm
one day at a time

Definitely Mapp aka propylene! You won't regret it!

Okay, for attachment to a table, you can do this:

You need an L bracket. They have holes in them, so you screw one side (two holes) to a piece of plywood using short screws and nuts, say a small piece like 8 x 8 inches. You may have to recess the holes on the bottom for the nuts to fit flush so this piece of wood can be flat on the table without anything sticking out.

Bend L bracket slightly away from you, and place Hothead angle of torch on this. Use hose clamps and if necessary, some wire wrapped around to secure. Then use a large C-clamp to attach this wood base to the table. You can cover this wood base with heavy duty aluminum foil. If you want to attach the L bracket directly to the table, that is your choice.
Old 2014-06-22, 6:48am
Gentleman of Leisure

MAPP gas under that brand name is no longer available under that brand name... NEW Name is MAP-PRO which as mentioned above on now propylene...

Also...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...c.php?f=12&t=7
http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=104
http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=103
http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=215

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2014-06-22, 3:12pm

Thanks Lisi and Dale!!! Definitely going with the Mapp, also since my hot head has already had Mapp through it. I am so happy it is available in bulk. I can also figure out how to attach it thanks to Lisi!!! My yellow cylinders do say 'Mapp-pro'. I will read up on all the stuff from 'artglassanswers.com/forum'...some interesting info here as well!! Thanks again!!

Old 2014-06-22, 3:16pm

Dale...I am going to call you the "King of Connections"! Just checked further on the artglassanswers forum and saw all of your visuals!!! Such a big help! I am such a visual learner! Should be able to pull off that L-bracket without a problem. Thanks so much. Anxious now to get some time to browse the forum!

Old 2014-06-22, 3:24pm
one day at a time

Yep, Dale is great for helping out with stuff like that. I was about to ask him to find a photo to post here of the set-up.
Old 2014-06-23, 8:01am
Gentleman of Leisure

For all you visual people....

http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=hothead+torch+setup

Also found this pic intersting...

For those having trouble finding proper place in flame to work you want to be out in zone of approximately the zone of the 6th vertical bar in graph...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2014-06-24 at 6:32am.
Old 2014-06-24, 1:47am
one day at a time

Thanks for at, Dale!
Old 2014-06-24, 9:00pm
Glass-aholic

Bulk propylene was my fav 7# could last me a month min, or more depending how much. Was torching. To Clamp the HH to the table all you need is an "L" bracket a "c" clamp and a small adjustable hose clamp. Clamp the L bracket to the HH In a stable place that won't block your flow (right side up or up side down will chance the mount height, I always made it a lower mount-upside down L) then overhang the bracket to the table and clamp with a clamp. Easy piesy lol.

You will just need the hose connector. I'll see if I can take a pic of the one I travel with tomorrow when I head to the studio. I never mounted mine I an angle...

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2014-06-24 at 9:07pm.

Tags
bulk gas, hot head, mapp, propane