Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-15, 4:13pm
Fried Cat

Default Mark your CD's carefully

Beforehand, and as a small disclaimer. I am not criticizing the creator of the tutorial AT ALL.

Several months ago I ordered Kevan's Making of a Goddess tut on CD. It arrived in a case with the same image on the cover as it showed on the Etsy page. I popped it into my laptop and that same day, it crashed. So I had to use a paper clip to pull the CD out. Somehow or another it didn't end up back in it's properly labeled cover.

Since then I've torn up the studio looking for this disc. As it happens, every time I look, I toss one of "my unmarked photograph back-up discs" to the side thinking... Well, it was a personal disc I've made of the kids photos.

I refused to contact Kevan because I paid for it. It was sent. And if I had said oh hey btw I lost it, what did the actual disc look like??? Well, I didn't want to imply I was asking for another copy. Either I'd feel bad because that's not what I intended to do, or she'd feel bad for either "caving in to give a second copy" or for saying "sorry, can't help". Just a bad position ya know?

And I didn't want to buy another one because it was around here dammit.

Finally, I decided today screw it. I'm going to email Kevan and ask if it had a sticky label because I'm just not sure what I'm looking for exactly. Whether or not it had the ivory goddess label or not. But before doing that, I'm curious what photos are on this CD that keeps popping up without a sticky label.

Now for what it's worth. I don't ever buy sticky labels for my CDs. So I'm not about to say "wah wah wah, it should have been labeled." It was labeled. On the cover. Besides I have several sharpies on my table in the studio. It's a hell of a lot easier for me to write "Goddess" on the disc than it is for someone to print off a sticky label and slap it on there.

Those photographs I thought I had?

They weren't photographs.

Imagine my surprise when a goddess tutorial popped up.

So: Always, always, always mark your discs.

(And Kevan, the goddess tutorial rocks. I know how to make LavenderCreek's fat bellied Venus goddesses but I was after a skinny goddess. It's perfect.)

Hope ya'll giggled. It's been that kind of week for me. Thankfully I can laugh about it.
Old 2012-03-15, 4:58pm

Don't you just hate that when that happens?LOL I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten to label something thinking that I would know because it was in the case! ARGGGG LOLOL

Glad you found it! And its nice to see a customer so considerate! And don't ya know? It's always in the last place you look!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LynieG
Old 2012-03-15, 5:05pm
Loving learning

I hate when I keep moving something out of the way while on a search, and it turns out that what I was moving was what I was searching for all the time!
Glad you found it, and I have the tutorial too and yes it's great. I was glad of the fact that she was using raku and struck it during the tutorial too!
Old 2012-03-15, 5:14pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2012-03-15, 5:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post

Dale

LynieG
Old 2012-03-16, 12:09pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Sharpies work on the covers, too.....just sayin'

I'm glad your found it.

Kevan's Goddess tutorial is one of my favourites. I love that it's a video and a written.
I learned so much about forming glass, it wasn't just a Goddess tut for me, but a great beginner's how to work glass video and tutorial.

now let's see some pics!

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2012-03-16, 12:43pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post

Dale
You'd think as many as I had laying around, that would have been my first thing to do.

Old 2012-03-17, 7:54pm

I still remember the answer my 4 year old had for his father when his father asked why something was always in the last place you look for it, which was that when you find it you stop looking.

Andrea
Old 2012-03-18, 8:23am
da General

It's recommended in the graphics industry to NOT use Sharpies to mark you CDs and DVDs if you want the discs to last for a long time. Some ingredients in Sharpies do corrupt the discs over time. Instead use Permanent Marker for Recordable Discs.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-03-19, 12:14pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Smart kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsincolor View Post
I still remember the answer my 4 year old had for his father when his father asked why something was always in the last place you look for it, which was that when you find it you stop looking.

Andrea

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-03-19, 12:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
It's recommended in the graphics industry to NOT use Sharpies to mark you CDs and DVDs if you want the discs to last for a long time. Some ingredients in Sharpies do corrupt the discs over time. Instead use Permanent Marker for Recordable Discs.
Where do you get those??