Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-26, 7:39pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
Kalera, I do agree there's so much valuable information in this thread. It's so kind of you to take the time to share your knowledge.
Thank you! It's my pleasure, really; I've learned so much from people here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-26, 7:44pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Oh, Tobacco is one of my most used frits! Especially the Gaffer stuff! It does so many things. My favorite thing about it is probably what it does to other frits.

OK, so: By itself, Tobacco will turn gold matte metallic when kissed with an oxidizing flame. Used as a base layer, Tobacco really brings out the color of R-108. But where it really shines is in frit blends; it likes to sink into other glasses, giving them a dimensional look. It's hard to explain, but the darker lines in between the colors in the Romance frit? That's from the Tobacco. Mixed with many other frits, if you cook the bead well, the other frits will want to spread while the Tobacco wants to shrink. I love the stuff!
Thanks so much! Now I can't wait to try it again.

Old 2012-12-26, 8:02pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
Thanks so much! Now I can't wait to try it again.
I hope you have fun and like the results you get! It's such a weird color, but so awesome when you hit on one of the right ways to use it.

Old 2013-01-07, 9:36pm

I just found this thread. What a treasure. Thanks Kalera for all the information. I have one question, you posted a set of R-106 beads that are a light sandstone color. How did you do that??? No matter what I do all I can get from that glass is a dark brown which is pretty but I would like to get some variety.
thanks, Carol

Old 2013-01-12, 12:32pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbeader View Post
I just found this thread. What a treasure. Thanks Kalera for all the information. I have one question, you posted a set of R-106 beads that are a light sandstone color. How did you do that??? No matter what I do all I can get from that glass is a dark brown which is pretty but I would like to get some variety.
thanks, Carol
Hi Carol! I just make the beads, and right before I put them in the kiln I "lick" them with the flames so they're pale in color. That's it!

Old 2013-01-12, 4:18pm
Wonder-wench

Default kalera college fund

for those folks impressed with Kalera's generosity in this thread, here is a cool way to give back. For just $10 you can contribute to her college fund AND get a nice bead!

http://www.gofundme.com/1tzmoo?pc=fb_d

Old 2013-01-12, 4:34pm
Melody of Glass

What a great idea! Thanks for posting, Elizabeth. And thanks for all you do to support the glass community, Kalera. I wish you the best in your endeavors!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-01-13, 7:25am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Thanks, Elizabeth! And thank YOU, Kalera! Every time I come to this thread I learn something new - I've got 2 packages of Tobacco out in the studio, now maybe I can actually use them for something!

L-111

Old 2013-01-13, 10:44am
one day at a time

I just ordered a half kilo of the Reichenbach Extra Light Tobacco. I have found all sorts of uses for it and will keep trying for more. I love Kalera's Romance Blend!
Old 2013-01-13, 12:05pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks, you guys! I'm so happy I could do something useful!

Old 2013-01-16, 3:51pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Thank YOU so much for the GORGEOUS bead!

L-111

Old 2013-01-17, 6:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbeader View Post
thanks, Carol
Is there a photo of that bead I can see? Dying to know. CC2

Old 2013-01-17, 10:51pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
Thank YOU so much for the GORGEOUS bead!
You are so, so welcome! And thank you, also, for the note about going back to school as an adult... it helps me a LOT to know that others have DONE IT!

Old 2013-01-17, 10:51pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc2 View Post
Is there a photo of that bead I can see? Dying to know. CC2
I might be able to find a pic, let me dig around a bit.

Old 2013-01-17, 10:53pm
I'm a lilac!

Here are a few different sets showing some variation from session to session:

Old 2013-01-18, 2:34am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Those are pretty Kalera!

I had a play with some of my Bullseye during the week, I haven't had a chance to clean the beads yet but I love the glass, it's lovely to work with!

ETA - my biggest problem is that 99% of the glass I got was unlabelled, so I don't know what most of it is (apart from Bullseye that is ). I pulled out a really lovely light transparent pink rod, chose a frit that I thought would go nicely on it & made an egg shaped focal. But when I finished it & pulled it out of the kiln the next day, it was a really dark pink colour & the shape was all wrong for something that dark. I should have gone for something thin, like a crunch or a lentil or even encased clear or white in it so you could see the colour, have made a mental note of that glass .

Last edited by MrsD; 2013-01-18 at 2:40am.
Old 2013-01-18, 4:52am
Angie09

Quote:
You are so, so welcome! And thank you, also, for the note about going back to school as an adult... it helps me a LOT to know that others have DONE IT!
School as an adult turned out to be a GREAT experience for me! Graduated from UCSD at 47 years of age and took my black lab to every class! It was one of the best experiences of my life!!!! If you're thinking about it .... just do it!!
Old 2013-01-18, 5:15am

Hi Kalera! You may have posted some info about this already, but do you have any cool techniques for making stringer out of frit? I mean, not how to make the stringer, but which ones make cool stringer and how they are used. I love reactions!
Also, I used to make stringer out of iris gold frit and light brown trans rod. I would dot this on all kinds of stuff (black!) and get some wonderful reactions. Well, this new iris gold I purchased doesn't work as well. I think it's Kugler's Iris Gold frit, believe it or not. Any thoughts on why it's not doing what it used to do?

Last edited by truegem; 2013-01-18 at 5:18am.
Old 2013-01-19, 9:59am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD View Post
Those are pretty Kalera!

I had a play with some of my Bullseye during the week, I haven't had a chance to clean the beads yet but I love the glass, it's lovely to work with!

ETA - my biggest problem is that 99% of the glass I got was unlabelled, so I don't know what most of it is (apart from Bullseye that is ). I pulled out a really lovely light transparent pink rod, chose a frit that I thought would go nicely on it & made an egg shaped focal. But when I finished it & pulled it out of the kiln the next day, it was a really dark pink colour & the shape was all wrong for something that dark. I should have gone for something thin, like a crunch or a lentil or even encased clear or white in it so you could see the colour, have made a mental note of that glass .
Ooooh, yeah, working with unlabeled BE is a crapshoot because a LOT of their colors strike! Especially the pinks.

Old 2013-01-19, 10:01am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
School as an adult turned out to be a GREAT experience for me! Graduated from UCSD at 47 years of age and took my black lab to every class! It was one of the best experiences of my life!!!! If you're thinking about it .... just do it!!
I'm almost halfway through my second year! I'm trying to jiggy my class schedule so that I can start at the University this fall. I love the inspiration and encouragement, thank you! My plan is to get a psychology degree with a biology minor and then apply to grad school at OHSU.

Old 2013-01-19, 10:05am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
Hi Kalera! You may have posted some info about this already, but do you have any cool techniques for making stringer out of frit? I mean, not how to make the stringer, but which ones make cool stringer and how they are used. I love reactions!
Also, I used to make stringer out of iris gold frit and light brown trans rod. I would dot this on all kinds of stuff (black!) and get some wonderful reactions. Well, this new iris gold I purchased doesn't work as well. I think it's Kugler's Iris Gold frit, believe it or not. Any thoughts on why it's not doing what it used to do?
Hmmm I haven't tried the Kugler Iris Gold, only the Reichenbach.... it does exactly the lovely reactions you mention. Was the old Iris Gold you had Reichenbach? That might explain it.

I like to use a lot of frits to make stringer... a blend of Iris colors, for example. Mostly I stick with ones I know are reactive, and for me, the key is play, play play! I guess that's kind of the follow up to PPP... practice to learn the techniques you love, and then play to expand on them!

Old 2013-01-21, 3:59pm

Thanks Kalera, very very nice! I like more earthy beads, these are lovely!

Old 2013-01-21, 7:10pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Quote:
Ooooh, yeah, working with unlabeled BE is a crapshoot because a LOT of their colors strike! Especially the pinks.
Yeah, some of the basic ones have names on them (canary yellow & dense white for example) but most don't. I have just ordered a single rod of lots of different colours from a local stockist to try to eliminate some of them & help me work out what I have got. I can see a lot of playing & simple donuts for a while until I work out what all the different colours do!

Old 2013-01-25, 6:28pm

Question Erase or pick up placed dot????

How can i do this without damaging the overall bead/background?

Thanks so much!
Old 2013-01-25, 6:33pm
Melody of Glass

Default I got a Kalera bead! I got a Kalera bead!

And it's stunning! Thanks so much, Kalera! Love it!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-01-25, 7:20pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
And it's stunning! Thanks so much, Kalera! Love it!
Aw thank you so much! :heart:

Old 2013-01-25, 7:24pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubeads1973 View Post
How can i do this without damaging the overall bead/background?

Thanks so much!
Well, for me it always leaves a bit of a mark, but nothing unrecoverable; I spot-heat right where the dot is, and then quickly and carefully pick it out with fairly pointy tweezers. You have to remember to melt off the "tail" of the glass you grab off the bead in the flame, and then melt the bead back to round again.

Old 2013-01-29, 3:33pm

Kalera, a long time I purchased 4 tins of Loetz frits. I tried to work with them and they didn't much for me so I stuffed them away. I just pulled them from the cupboard and wonder if you have tips and tricks for this stuff. Thanks.
Old 2013-01-31, 5:27am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Kalera, a long time I purchased 4 tins of Loetz frits. I tried to work with them and they didn't much for me so I stuffed them away. I just pulled them from the cupboard and wonder if you have tips and tricks for this stuff. Thanks.
Hi Pat! The way I work Loetz is to make a bead, roll it in the frit and melt it in in a neutral flame, then give it a brief flash in a strongly reducing flame to bring out the luster. The result is a unique, pitted, antiquey-looking finish like these:

Old 2013-01-31, 7:30am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

What's the base glass on those last frit beads please Kalera? All three sets are very pretty, but different!

I am loving playing with my BullsEye, there are some absolutely gorgeous colours.