No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-07-29, 2:30pm

Default Beads for Men?

Hi

Someone who works at my school has asked if I can "make him something." He's very nice and even offered to pay for it. The only thing is I don't really make beads for men... I've only been lampworking for about 6 months, and only recently made things that I consider good enough to give as gifts. Recently Ive been making mostly florals.

I'm wondering if you guys have suggestions for what men like in jewelry? I'm thinking darker colors - black, gray, etc; and maybe more angular or irregular shapes instead of rounds or donuts? Should I include decorations or patterns or is simpler better?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(under construction...)
Old 2013-07-29, 2:37pm
Salt Box Beads

Just type the search words below into google images and you will see lots of beads and inspiration that men will like.

large tribal horn beads
Old 2013-07-29, 3:29pm
one day at a time

Barrel shapes are great for guys. Made on 3/32" or 1/8" mandrels so they can be strung on cord. Neutrals or organics are nice. If they are a really big sports fan, then maybe some team colors.
Old 2013-07-29, 3:51pm

Organics. Maybe flattened as a pocket bead?

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2013-07-29, 5:53pm
Senior Moment

Oh dear. I misread this for a second as "Beards For Men" and had this vision of that stupid "Hair For Men" TV commercial; with guys with huge beards walking out of swimming pools and women running their finger thru goatees...

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-07-29, 6:12pm
Burnt Wood Beads

Make him a large swirled organic bead...string it with a leather cord and put a clasp on it. He'll love it!

Remember, more than anything, he probably just wants something that was handmade special for him....

Old 2013-07-29, 6:26pm
honorary bead lady

I had a couple of women buy goddess beads for their husbands
Old 2013-07-29, 8:09pm
Lampworkaholic!

Shark tooth shape or cone/torpedo shape.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-07-29, 8:18pm
Loving learning

My DH likes organic/natural looking tabs or fat barrels when I show him my days output.
Old 2013-07-29, 9:26pm

Manly colors etched.
Old 2013-07-30, 5:49am

Oragnics! I wore a slim rectangular piece (using a Zooziis press) that was made a base of dk ivory and silvered ivory shards. I put the Kanji symbol for peace on it and wore it all last week at the Gathering.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2013-07-30, 6:26am
Melody of Glass

Glass ring band in etched dark colours?

Does he specifically want something to wear? Otherwise, how about a pen, keychain, bottle opener, wine stopper?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-07-30, 1:23pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! That's a lot of ideas
He didn't ask for anything specific, and I don't really know him that well. I had planned on making some gifts for my girl friends first, so I told him I won't get to it for a while anyway. We will see what I come up with... Thanks for all the input!

(under construction...)
Old 2013-07-30, 3:19pm

My husband keeps asking me for a bead that looks like a burning coal.

I'm having trouble with that one, so if you crack it let me know...

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2013-07-30, 6:51pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Last year Stacy gave me a perfectly round ring, donut, whatever that the ring part is about 6mm thick. It is made from Rubino Oro (sp) and had gold leaf sparcely around the ring. I put it on that moment and have not taken it off. It is a true treasure and I love it. Most of the gold has worn off but it's still my fav.

Simple, darker colors, maybe 'organic', geometric, basic 'bling' for the men out there.

PJH
Old 2013-07-30, 7:47pm
Melody of Glass

Check out the Regaliz line as well. I bought a few of the leather bracelets with findings as well as the mandrels to make my own glass beads for them at the Gathering. You could definitely make those very masculine.

Cufflinks is another option.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-07-31, 12:27pm
Must..have..more...glass

I make military camouflage beads for Beads of Courage for the older boys in that program. Army or Marine Corps Woodland--olive, browns, tans and blacks; Desert--Tans, browns and blacks; Navy--dark blue (still haven't found the right color), light blue or gray and a dark teal, such as CIM Leaky Pen. Then I etch them to give them a matte surface. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US...nd_pattern.svg
Old 2013-08-02, 8:16am
Glass-aholic

Camp is a great idea!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: