LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-03-29, 3:16am

Default Keys

Ok, need to know do I need release on the key if I do not want the glass to move? will it stick to the key?
Old 2014-03-29, 7:29am
Sheila Davis Designs

It will stick to the key without bead release. Get it real hot first and make your bead!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-03-29, 8:49am

Make sure it's not galvanized or brass.
Bad things can happen in the flame with these metals.

Old 2014-03-29, 9:13am
Glass-aholic

I use a thin coat of release now on all my keys. I did not use to, but I found that over time they really don't like being right up against the metal and crack in 3 equal pieces., or start to show stress cracks around one hole in the same 1/3 proportion I just clean off the bead release around the bead and you never see it. (Use a solid base color, at least for a thin wrap to hide the release) I think the bead release gives it some breathing room so to speak, expansion/contraction wise or compatibility wise. Sometimes I find the same kind of fractures begin on wine stoppers that I make directly on the metal as well. Usually after a number of years and right at the end where the metal mandrel ends inside the glass. Sometimes the glass will simply sheer off straight across at the top of the mandrel.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-03-30, 1:01pm

Thanks guys
Old 2014-03-30, 3:08pm
offically down under

Was just going to say the same thing as Jaci but she beat me to it.

Old 2014-03-30, 4:45pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Hmm I've never seen my beads crack being on a key without release. Some of my keys are pretty old too.

Ebay:
Old 2014-03-30, 9:29pm

I got a skull mold,to make the daughter skulls with and I thought what better thing then to put skulls on a Skeleton key maybe with a snake crawing up thought the skulls.
Old 2014-04-01, 9:07pm
Remember to keep smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
I got a skull mold,to make the daughter skulls with and I thought what better thing then to put skulls on a Skeleton key maybe with a snake crawing up thought the skulls.
What a awesome idea. Woulduv to see pics when your done.

SRA#P109