Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-07-06, 10:40am
Favorite color is shiny

Default GLass Rod Haul....cutting?

I recently got really lucky and bought a store out of the last of their 104 glass rods. Was hoping that I might have gotten lucky with some rare colors but it looks like only one is hard to come by and I'm not really sure about that. My question is... cutting these rods. I have a rod cutter but I'm wondering if those of you who cut rods more often than me...as in more often than Zero times, have any tips? all wise words appreciated.

Colors in the pic are (top to bottom):
Light white pastel 56208
Yellow Ochre Special (as in wasabi maybe ...it's an olive looking green) 791460
Light Red 591428
Coral Special 591420 (dk red outside with deeper red core)
Pea Green (no numbers)
Dark Yellow 791412

All pretty colors.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---> LE
Old 2016-07-06, 10:48am

I just use tile nippers, the ones without the wheel. Personal preference I guess. Wear a mask please! It doesn't look like glass dust is flying around, but it is.

Old 2016-07-06, 10:48am
Favorite color is shiny

Thanks Rebecca.... i didn't even think about needing a mask.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2016-07-06, 10:52am

You're welcome. I didn't think about it the first time I did it either...until a ray of sunshine moved into where I was working and then I saw it flying all over.

Old 2016-07-06, 11:06am

Oh lucky you on the 791460, yellow ochre
Old 2016-07-06, 1:07pm
Phill

Eye wear and mask please.

Even light duty gloves would be wise as well since you are going to be cutting them all down to size.

Oh and outside would be even better IMHO.

That dust that you don't want in your lungs or in your eyes would live very nicely outside and not settling on your furniture and counters and stuff.

Nice find by the way.

Newspaper on a bench with maybe a 'C' clamp to give you an anchor point might help.

Stay safe and think things through before you start and don't let anyone hang out and watch too closely.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2016-07-06 at 1:09pm.
Old 2016-07-06, 2:13pm
Lampworkaholic!

Don't try to cut through the rods. You just need to score them slightly with the nipper, then you can gently snap them. That will reduce airborne glass dust. Work gloves or gardening gloves wouldn't hurt.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2016-07-07, 1:15am
Phill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Don't try to cut through the rods. You just need to score them slightly with the nipper, then you can gently snap them. That will reduce airborne glass dust. Work gloves or gardening gloves wouldn't hurt.

This^^^

I've got one of those 'carbide' (?) 'scoring tools.

Just a scratch one quarter of the way round or even an eighth is enough.

Two thumbs either side of the scratch and slight outward pressure will leave a nice break so sharp that you could probably do surgery without pain killers and the patient would not know they had been cut.

You may not know either so be really aware of the ends.

I take the time when I have scary sharp glass like that to patiently melt the ends into safe roundness.

But sharp edges like that can boil really quickly so take your time.

Some folks use emery cloth to take part of the edge off but that also creates glass dust.

A spray bottle and wet paper towel can be handy.

ETA: I have seen youtube videos where a person will score the scratch, then wet the scratch with a wet q-tip and then touch a hot gather of glass to the rod near the scratch. the thermal stress will create a crack that will run right through the rod and leave an incredibly sharp break that is almost perfectly flat across the rod.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2016-07-07 at 1:20am.
Old 2016-07-07, 5:10am

The thermal cracking is usually better suited for larger dimension tubing 30mm and above imo. 7mm rod is score and snap, or ive seen cutting wheel adjustable wrenches. Pretty handy. Turn on your ventilation minimum, and some gloves.. good to go.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
Old 2016-07-07, 5:37am
Favorite color is shiny

You guys rock!!!! Just what I needed to know. Seriously good advice. I feel much better about the whole process .......NOW. haha. Again thank you muchly!!

---> LE