Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2022-01-03, 6:13pm

Default Propane Regulator

I'm just upgrading from my hothead to a Lynx, which also came with an oxygen regulator. Do I need a propane regulator? If I don't, can somebody send me a link to the adapter I'm going to need to connect the hose to my refillable propane tank (BBQ). Thanks.
Old 2022-01-03, 7:23pm

You definitely need a propane regulator. And you'll only need the oxy reg if you use tanked oxy.

ETA- not the kind you find on a grill, you need the one with 2 gauges, preferably one that goes from 0 to 30 psi. I think they're called single stage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Three Muses Glass; 2022-01-03 at 7:30pm.
Old 2022-01-04, 7:47am

Something like this- https://www.mountainglass.com/Single...gulator-Harris
And a flashback arrestor is always a good idea. https://www.mountainglass.com/Flashb...y-One-Fuel-Gas (you won't need the oxy arrestor if you're using oxygen concentrators)
Those links are from a place many of us trust. Your local welding supplier may have them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2022-01-05, 9:57am

Thanks. Can I use a acetylene regulator or do you need specifically a propane regulator?
Old 2022-01-05, 10:32am
Loving learning

Must be Propane is what I have always read.
Old 2022-01-05, 10:51am

The flashback debate for surface mix torches is alive and well if you want to look into it.

For me, I only use a flashback on the propane side of my auxiliary line for my PRE-MIX hand torch. I accept the risk since I understand it. Yes, surface mix can flashback but good luck finding reliable examples. But there are plenty of examples of PRE-MIX torches flashing back and burning inside the torch. No flashback on oxy since I use oxycons but if you're on tanked O2, use them on both lines.

Also, you can use an acetylene reg for propane. I have seen this running at lower pressures (less than 20psi) in many shops for many years. Prop reg for acetylene is the risky one.
Old 2022-01-05, 10:58am
Phill

The rubber membrane in an acetylene regulator will do a chemical reaction over time with propane I think.

I have read somewhere that acetylene welding hoses will gum up and spit crap into the tiny passages in glass torches so the same should be true of the regulators.

Bar-b-que grills have regulators that reduce the 3 thousand psi pressure in a propane tank down to something close to 4 psi which is low enough that you don't need to have a gage telling you how much psi going into the type "T" hose that connects to the torch.
Old 2022-01-05, 1:02pm

A little more on regulators...
Yes, regulators with elastomeric material for the diaphragm can degrade due to propane depending on which elastomer is used. I know Victor makes stainless steel diaphragms in their medium-duty regs because I own one and have used it with propane gas for over 20 years with no issues.

So, get one with a metal diaphragm and you can run either gas, no worries...or check the specs on the regulator you have and if its metal, you're golden. Also, if running propane on an acetylene reg, you can ignore the 15psi max.

Last thing, those flashbacks can and usually do reduce pressure to the torch so you need to raise it to compensate. Normally only 1-2 psi.

Good luck!
Old 2022-01-06, 8:18am

Wow- thanks for all the advice. It's tricky getting this thing setup. I bought a used K sized tank and that was bit of learning experience as well as heavy as heck. Next step is figuring how to store the tanks outside and get the lines into my garage. Can I store the propane and oxygen together?

Last edited by ctuai; 2022-01-06 at 8:23am.
Old 2022-01-06, 11:11am

You can actually store/use the oxy tank inside your garage. The propane, of course, should always be outside. Go to your local hardware, farm/ranch or lumber yard store and look at 'black pipe'. It's specifically for fuel. It's a bit of a PITA getting it threaded and put together in the right configuration, but it's the most secure (I believe) method of getting propane into your garage. Once you're inside, you can use flexible stainless steel. There's lots of info in the safety room about setting up a studio.
Old 2022-01-06, 3:12pm

Thanks for pointing out the safety room. I was just looking and there's tons of information on things I didn't even think of asking. Moving from a hot head to surface mix really is a leap. Takes a community
Old 2022-01-07, 6:41am

I stored the oxy tank inside too. Just make sure it's secured to a wall or something so there is zero chance of falling.

Old 2022-01-08, 11:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuai View Post
Thanks for pointing out the safety room. I was just looking and there's tons of information on things I didn't even think of asking. Moving from a hot head to surface mix really is a leap. Takes a community
Yes but that info and the change to this torch will be huge in terms of what you can do. The capability is way way above the HH
Old 2022-01-08, 6:14pm

Should I just get a cheap acetylene/propane regulator is it worth it to spend a bit more? alternatively, what do you think of used regulators? More bang for the buck?

Last edited by ctuai; 2022-01-08 at 6:17pm.