Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-09, 10:53am
Bead maker and bead buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damselfly View Post
Thanks so much for this discussion! it's really great!

So if we go to Lowe's and get PH Down (since it's the same thing), does anyone know how much to add? Would it still be a tablespoon like Larry said? Or is the jewelers solution more concentrated?

I was able to find out the answer to my question, so I thought I'd post it in case anyone else was curious.

Home Depot didn't carry pool chemicals (maybe it's the wrong time of year), so I had to go to a specialty store that caters to people with pools, hot tubs, and spas.

I was able to buy a 2.5lb bottle of Leisure Time Spa Down that was 95% sodium bisulfate (and 5% inert materials). So, I haven't bothered to look up the msds data for jeweler's pickle since the Spa Down was 95%.

The Spa Down was $6.50 for the 2.5lb bottle, whereas the jewelers pickle was $11.50 or so for 3lb. Quite the difference!

I found what looks to be the product I purchased on this site, for $5.99:

http://www.hottubworks.com/cgi-bin/c...on&key=LT22338

So if anyone lives in a rural area, this might be a more affordable option than Rio Grande or other jewelry companies.

Disclaimer: I don't know if there are other products by Leisure Time that contain different chemicals, so you still might want to double check that it's sodium bisulfate before purchasing.
Old 2011-01-09, 1:10pm

They also sell the ph lowering stuff at Walmart. It's called Ph Down.
Old 2011-01-10, 7:10pm
DSDWC

Could this be done in Stainless steel?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-11, 12:44pm
The Andrea Half

I don't think so, Trey. If you put anything steel in a Sparex acid solution, it copper-plates where the acid touches, particularly if the acid is pretty copper-rich (i.e. you have used it a LOT). That's why you need to use copper or brass tongs to remove silver or copper from Sparex. I add old washers when I pickle soldered copper; sometimes the silver actually copper-plates and hides the silver solder line.

Old 2011-01-11, 1:35pm
Living Life Creatively

I love this thread and am looking forward to trying this on my clear! *Ü*

I couldn't find the SB salt at Lowe's, but I did find a bottle of liquid called "pH Minus (-)" for spas that is 10% sulfuric acid. Can't tell what the other 90% is made of though. Was wondering if this would work for pickling my glass, or not?
-
-
-
Old 2011-01-11, 2:14pm
DSDWC

I will be using sodium bisulfate and not spirex. Could I do this in a stainless container. Not worried about messing up the container just worried about the glass.

Old 2011-01-11, 2:54pm
The Andrea Half

It's the same stuff, Trey--both are sodium bisulphate, as I recall.

Old 2011-01-11, 3:37pm
Loving learning

I went out & bought a glass 9x13 rectangular (glass) dish today. I thought I might use the wood & rubber tongs I used when working in the dark room to move prints through the trays if they wouldn't ruin things. Any thoughts?
I'm also wondering how to keep it heated. I'm going to begin with hot water, and was wondering about using an old microwave to reheat the solution.
Old 2011-01-11, 4:53pm
DSDWC

My problem is I like to use 1/2 length rods and so need a container that is 21 inches long. I found an enamelware fish poacher that I think will work. Just need to order it.

Old 2011-01-11, 5:13pm
Nikki Haverstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourTailsLampwork View Post
I add old washers when I pickle soldered copper; sometimes the silver actually copper-plates and hides the silver solder line.
Old copper washers I assume? That would be awesome, I will try it
Old 2011-01-11, 5:51pm
The Andrea Half

No, add stainless; it copper plates the washer but also other metals, including silver. Sometimes the silver won;t plate no matter what you do, though.

Old 2011-01-11, 5:58pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Well, this did make my glass look much better. It also made my pyrex casserole dish sparkle.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-01-11, 8:28pm
Smooches!

I normally use plain Moretti clear anyway and usually don't have any major problems. Tonight I thought what the hell - clean it all up! It's really CLEAN, DIAMOND SPARKLY CLEAN! Can't wait to use some of it.

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2011-01-12, 6:04am
state-eternal change

I wonder if this would work on removing anti-glare coating on glasses that gets scratched.. I read somewhere to use etch all on the side that is scratched, but I wonder if this would work.

Old 2011-01-15, 1:23pm
dances with ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthmartin View Post
Using soda-lime Pyrex at 160 degrees will probably be fine but using it at higher heat and then introducing cold liquids may cause an explosion.

Ruth
Ruth's absolutely right. Ask me how I know. Hey--I was just following the recipe! Exploding Pyrex on the top of a stove isn't fun either. Ask me how I know... That time I was only 10 or so.

Stay safe!

Old 2011-01-21, 11:42am

My last batch of Effetre 004 was so scummy that I welcomed this thread enthusiastically! I was set to scrap 7 lbs that I hadn't used when I came upon this thread!

I found a used grill at the Sally, a 15 3/4'x 10 3/4" brand new dish was found at Winners, made in Turkey by Borcam (made of Borosilicate glass, Pyrex is soda-lime glass, as mentioned by Larry, David and Ruth), and some Sparex #2 pickling powder from the jewellry supplier. I purchased this powder before discovering that I could purchase sodium bisulphate at a pool supply (or Canadian Tire) for much less money. I tried the process last night, heating the solution to 160 F. I found that
1 1/2# of 5-6mm Eff. 004 just covered the bottom of the dish, with a little room to spare. The material and equipment cost came to a total of $20, and the result was miraculous! After cooling and rinsing, the glass looks and works like premium clears. I am amazed and pleased at the results, and highly recommend this process. This is to become a regular process now for me. Now if only they would keep the inside of the rods air-free!

Thanks so much to everyone who contibuted the information regarding this, Jinx, thank for starting the thread and posting the link to Pats' blog, and especially to Larry, whose clear and detailed instructions were so informative

David

Last edited by blaqmor; 2011-01-21 at 11:53am.
Old 2011-01-21, 11:55am

Yippee....now try cleaning before use with alchol and drying with leather per Kimberly Affleck. It really makes it sparkle.
Old 2011-01-21, 11:58am

Right on Pat! I wrapped the dried glass in paper towel, and intend to do this just prior to using it.

David

Old 2011-01-24, 7:14am

Does anyone know if this method would adversely affect any of the aventurine glasses? What about the silver glasses? Sorry if it seems like a dumb question or obvious answer, but I'd rather not ruin some expensive stuff out of ignorance.

Thanks
Old 2011-01-24, 10:37pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Me too, but I think I was around 12. I think I was cooking lemon pudding in a Pyrex pie plate. It scared the living bejeezis out of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainygrrl View Post
Ruth's absolutely right. Ask me how I know. Hey--I was just following the recipe! Exploding Pyrex on the top of a stove isn't fun either. Ask me how I know... That time I was only 10 or so.

Stay safe!

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2011-01-28, 11:15am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx Garza View Post
Pat Frantz wrote an interesting blog post about a tip she learned from Larry Scott for getting rid of scum on clear glass. Has anyone here tried this? How'd it go?

How to get the Perfect Clear 104 COE Glass

http://frantznewsletter.com/?page_id=1714

Jinx
Thank you for this link and posting the info. It is so valuable as a consideration. I have seen swirls in transparent glass after applying it that were probably film left on the glass AFTER it was cleaned!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-01-28 at 11:20am.
Old 2011-01-29, 7:29pm
Corgi Cult Member

Today I set up an old pancake griddle with a lasagna dish filled with pickle. It's working great, but I would prefer a more secure setup.

What does everyone think of using an old turkey roaster? The pan inside the roaster is enameled so I don't think it would react badly with the pickle unless there were nicks. The metal lid could easily be replaced with a piece of plexiglass to keep the pickle from evaporating between uses. They have their own thermostats, so using a low heat isn't a problem. Plus most roasters would accommodate a rod much longer than a lasagna dish.

Old 2011-01-30, 8:38am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I know that one can make soap with LYE in an enamel or stainless steel pot, so I would think you can use enamel. Please let us know how it works!
Old 2011-01-31, 1:41pm
The Andrea Half

I think enamel would be okay, and you are right about the length.

Old 2011-02-05, 2:05pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Just want to thank all of you for this thread and all the info! I had read Pat's blog and went to order pickle at Rio last night. The shipping was higher than the cost! I was about to write to see if someone would sell me a little bit. Now, I will hit the Ace or WallyWorld on Monday.
Thanks again, Pat
Old 2011-02-06, 8:01pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittypat View Post
Just want to thank all of you for this thread and all the info! I had read Pat's blog and went to order pickle at Rio last night. The shipping was higher than the cost! I was about to write to see if someone would sell me a little bit. Now, I will hit the Ace or WallyWorld on Monday.
Thanks again, Pat
I had the same reaction! Please let us know how you fare.
Old 2011-02-06, 8:30pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

I sure will, Kristina. Just saw Pierce's Bathroom thread...she is pickling everything in site!! LOL
Old 2011-02-07, 10:44am
Mary Lockwood

Geez...something else I just have to try now. LOL

I was resisting clicking on this thread because I knew I would be in trouble. And of course, I nicked my mom's leftover container of pH Minus last year so I have the stuff just sitting here.

Off to the kitchen to get out all the stuff. I'm tired of being mad at my clear glass.

And holy wow, Pat's blog is fantastic. Never knew that existed either.

Thanks guys!!
~~Mary

OK, I did it! I used my electric griddle, a pyrex lasagna pan, pH Minus (which is 92% sodium bisulfate). The candy thermometer in the water said 150 degrees F when I put in the glass rods and one stick of dichro. I let them soak 10 minutes, then rinsed in clean hot water and dried with paper towels.

I have to say, they sparkle like diamonds. The kiln and my hotplate are heating up as I type this. The real test will be in the melting. If I see as awesome of a difference as I'm hoping to see, I'll be as bad as Debbie. LOL I'll be pickling everything I can lay hands on.

Keep ya posted.
~~Mary

Last edited by Moth; 2011-02-07 at 11:14am.
Old 2011-02-07, 11:16am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I pickled my dichro!

Old 2011-02-07, 8:55pm

how did anyone decide how much PH down to use? What works?