LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2009-04-10, 9:48pm
Flamewoman

Default Lynx and Regalia

Just looking for some input here. For those of you using your Lynx with a Regalia and doing boro do you run the oxycon at 10 or dial it down? I turned mine down to 8 today just for the heck of it, and maybe it was hotter? I have my propane set at 5.
I have been using the oxycon at 10 since I got it almost a year ago.What settings do you use for boro?
On another unrelated note, I have a friend who has a devilbiss oxycon that is a 5lpm. Is it ok for her to turn it on and leave the valves on the torch closed? I thought you had to open them while it was running for this type of machine( except to brieflly close them to light torch). She didn't get any instructions with the machine. Will it hurt the machine to do this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2009-04-10, 10:31pm
Critter Mom

I don't have a Regalia, don't even know what it is, but I do run my Lynx on a Pro4 oxygen generator. After talking to the guys at GTT (they recommended the Pro4), my generator is set at 20psi and my propane at 7psi. I've tried other settings and found this to work best for both soft and hard glass.

Old 2009-04-10, 10:47pm

Who makes the Pro 4?
Old 2009-04-10, 11:04pm
Rare Florida Native

The oxy valve needs to be open when running the oxycon.....except when lighting the torch.

Old 2009-04-10, 11:20pm

I always kept my Regalia/Integra10 at 8. The higher the #, the more air it pushes through... but because the air volume is higher through the sieve beds, you end up with worse purity.

The lower the #, the higher the purity. For the Regalia, it should be around 8 for optimum, at least that's what I found with mine on both Lynx and Phantom (and the purer your oxy, the hotter your flame should be too, as extra air isn't contributing to the heat of the torch at all).

Atm, my Integra10 is pushing the OUTER ring of my Phantom... at 8. It's obviously not at full capacity, but it's a reasonable sized flame. While it's designed for 10, and can do 10, I prefer the insurance of better purity (higher % of oxygen).

If you have a M15, optimum is 6, pushing it higher just reduces your oxy purity for that as well.

This may not matter so much for soft glass, but for boro, the oxy purity helps a lot, and matters more to me than the air pressure. Hope that helps.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-04-10, 11:21pm
PyronamixK

Running a DeVilbiss with the oxygen valve on the torch closed (for longer than what it takes to light up) backpressures the machine and is bad for it.

Pro-4 is a large generator made by On-Site. I am a distributor for them, too.
Old 2009-04-10, 11:53pm
Rare Florida Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hels View Post
I always kept my Regalia/Integra10 at 8. The higher the #, the more air it pushes through... but because the air volume is higher through the sieve beds, you end up with worse purity.

The lower the #, the higher the purity. For the Regalia, it should be around 8 for optimum, at least that's what I found with mine on both Lynx and Phantom (and the purer your oxy, the hotter your flame should be too, as extra air isn't contributing to the heat of the torch at all).

Atm, my Integra10 is pushing the OUTER ring of my Phantom... at 8. It's obviously not at full capacity, but it's a reasonable sized flame. While it's designed for 10, and can do 10, I prefer the insurance of better purity (higher % of oxygen).

If you have a M15, optimum is 6, pushing it higher just reduces your oxy purity for that as well.

This may not matter so much for soft glass, but for boro, the oxy purity helps a lot, and matters more to me than the air pressure. Hope that helps.
Thanks for sharing the info - I did not realize my Integra 10 was the same as a Kimberly's Regalia
I will lower my % and see what happens.
I can't wait to go try it out.

Old 2009-04-11, 12:09am
PyronamixK

The Integra10 is the old version of the Regalia. It has the analogue flow meter, but the output is the same. I have both.
Old 2009-04-11, 9:27pm
Flamewoman

Thanks everyone for the input here, and Hi Kimberly, I am still loving my nice quiet Regalia. Kimberly ~ what are your recomendations for settings on the regalia and propane pressure? ( think "boro")

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2009-04-12, 11:42am
PyronamixK

I usually set my Regalia to 10 LPM and the propane regulator somewhere between 5-10 psi on the propane (so it ends up 7 or 8 psi - I'm not that exact). When I run a small flame, I know that I am not passing 10 LPM through the torch, so the machine is not allowing the full 10 LPM out. I think that the "10" is more of a target and a limit.

If you were to run the biggest flame you could when the machine is set at 8 LPM and measure the flow rate, then set the machine to 10 LPM and run the identical flame, when you go to measure the flow rate, it would be the same and would have the same purity.

It is true that the higher the output is, the lower the purity will be. But, it doesn't matter if that output is set at the machine and free flowing or if the output is what you are allowing through the torch, even when the meter is set higher. 8 LPM is 8 LPM and the purity at 8 LPM is what it is.

It's easier to see on an anaolgue machine that the flow output varies according to how much you allow to pass through the torch via the oxygen valve.

With the analogue flow meters, concentrator output will vary during operation. Even when your torch valve is set to a certain spot, changes in temperature (from the environment and from the machine itself as it warms up) will make the output increase or decrease. If you have an analogue machine set to say 10 LPM and the temperature changes so that the output drifts over that 10 LPM mark, then you can be overrunning the machine and not necessarily notice it unless you happen to look at the flow meter. Also, if you just set the meter to 10, but then open up the torch more, that allows more oxygen to pass out of the machine and you can end up pulling more than 10 LPM, overrunning the machine that way.

With the digital meter on the Regalia, it limits the output to what you set so that it will never overrun the machine. On larger torches, where the output could drift down even with the torch valves wide open, the digital meter keeps the output up to that target set.

BTW, machines are rated at the point where the purity drops below 90%. So, if a machine can put out 10 LPM before the purity drops below 90%, it is a 10 LPM machine. The Regalia is actually rated higher than 10 LPM, but they keep it at 10 LPM so that the machine always keeps a good purity even at 10 LPM and the machine isn't overworked.
Old 2009-05-26, 10:29am

So I am now trying tanked oxygen, and it occurs to me I don't know how open you keep the oxygen knob. The main one on the torch. Once I upped the pressure by using tanked, do I want the oxygen knob to be open so far that it makes the flame really loud? That noise always conflicts with my music. Maybe with the Integra I just never opened the knob wide enough? Can't seem to get purples in boro, so I thought maybe it was too low oxygen. Now I am wondering. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Sory for tagging my question onto your thread, but since you're all here...
Old 2009-05-26, 10:55am
PyronamixK

Go more by the candles and what they look like than how far your knob is open. A 1/4 turn at a high psi setting could produce the same flame that a 1/2 turn would at a low psi setting.

When working soft glass, most people run their candles anywhere from 1/4" to 3/8" long with small yellow/white tips for a neutral flame and with no tips for an oxidizing flame. When working boro, you can run your candles longer and have longer tips, generally.

When you were on your Integra, did you look at your flow meter when you were running a highly oxidized flame? If it drifted over the 10 LPM mark, your purity would have been poor.
Old 2009-05-26, 4:45pm
marbeads

Default GTT pressures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyPhelps View Post
So I am now trying tanked oxygen, and it occurs to me I don't know how open you keep the oxygen knob. The main one on the torch. Once I upped the pressure by using tanked, do I want the oxygen knob to be open so far that it makes the flame really loud? That noise always conflicts with my music. Maybe with the Integra I just never opened the knob wide enough? Can't seem to get purples in boro, so I thought maybe it was too low oxygen. Now I am wondering. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Sory for tagging my question onto your thread, but since you're all here...
Christy,
In my experience the GTT torches are so efficient that the normal recommended pressures for lamp work do not really apply. For example, I made some small 1/2 inch dia boro beads last week on a Cricket because my lynx was in for service. I have an old devillbliss (sp?) concentrator I bought from Suncoast in 2002. That's not quite 5psi at 4lpm of 95% O2 and its very old,used when I got it.
The recommendation from GTT was 1/4 psi gas and 5 psi O2 at 5 lpm for the Cricket
I ran it at 1 psi propane (the lowest my reg would give) and 3 PSI O2.
The flame was as long as my bobcat and the O2 was not wide open.
I think that Propane/O2 burns at about 3200 degrees, maybe hotter. In any case enough to turn boro into a liquid.
The flame control allowed me to fume and also get a one inch needle for stringer work.
I am no longer amazed by the GTT line. I know that they are the best available.
HITK,
Kurt
Lynx, Bobcat, 6 Crickets, tanked and concentrator.
Old 2009-05-29, 3:18am

kimberly,
i have the regalia. if i take a break and turn off the torch, should i also turn off the regalia?....kath
Old 2009-05-29, 3:51am

I think most folks think that if you are going to be gone for longer than 20 minutes or so it makes sense to turn it off, but if you're just going to go for a few minutes to leave it on....I think that's what I do generally. I also turn the torch off, then open the oxygen back up if I'm going to leave the machine on.
Old 2009-05-29, 6:09am

thanks, wonker, for that information. i usually just take short breaks but from now on, after i turn my torch off, i will turn the oxy back on again. makes sense....kath
Old 2009-05-29, 10:25am
PyronamixK

I usually leave mine on for breaks unless I'm going to ge away for an hour or longer.

With the Regalia, you don't have to turn the oxygen valve back on at the torch unless you just want to. With all other concentrators, you will need to open up the torch oxygen valve any time the machine is running.
Old 2009-05-29, 10:44am

thanks, kimberly, for that information...kath
Old 2009-05-29, 11:18am
balanced but asymmetrical

Hi Kimberly,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
With the Regalia, you don't have to turn the oxygen valve back on at the torch unless you just want to. .
I was wondering about this... the Regalia is able to adjust/compensate without damage?

Old 2009-05-29, 8:46pm
PyronamixK

Hi Gila!

What happens is that when it senses the backpressure, it redirects the air from the compressor to go out through the exhaust purge instead of through the seive beds. I believe that's what was explained to me - that it exits the machine before going into the seive beds instead of after going through the seive. Either way, the machine keeps the seive beds from being overrun or backflowed by the torch valve being turned off.

Now, if you are running a second machine, you still would want to put backflow valves on your connector so that one machine does not push it's oxygen up into the other - thereby backflowing the machine. I know that is off-topic, but I thought I'd throw it in, anyway.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2009-05-29 at 8:49pm.