Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-06-27, 4:55am
High Maintenance

Default checking a seal on a hot head

Hi all,
My book on lampworking tells me to check the seal between the torchhead and the MAPP Canister with soapy water but it doesn't tell how you put the soapy water on the connection. I'm assuming I do not submerse any part of the torch so the only thing I can think of is to wipe a cloth dipped in the soapy water around teh connection area and watch for bubbles. Is this how you guys do it or is there a better way?

Thank you,
Heather
Old 2005-06-27, 5:19am
Red*Dog*Designs

I use a foam "paintbrush" dipped in the soapy solution to check the connection on my hoses and tanks !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Debi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

Old 2005-06-27, 6:12am
Safety ALWAYS

Mr. Bubbles bubble blowing solution - has it's own built in dipper. Just put a couple of drops on the threads. You will see bubbles if there is a leak, if no leak, then no bubbles.
Old 2005-06-27, 10:13am
High Maintenance

Mr. Bubbles blowing solution? Sounds like I'll have to much fun playing with it. I'll forget what its for and forget to check my seals I will have to pick up some of that tonight when I go get my 'geek' strap so my didy's stay on over my prescription glasses.

Thanks for the tip!
Heather
Old 2005-06-27, 10:38am
Safety ALWAYS

Yepper - just don't try to be like SpongeBob SquarePants and try to blow complicated designs...propane isn't a good medium for blowing bubbles with.
Old 2005-06-27, 8:33pm

I bought an inexpensive mini spray bottle in the cosmetics department- I keep that near my torch filled with water and dish soap. I just spray the connections, if there's no bubbles I wipe it off with a damp towel.