Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

View Poll Results: What style torch do you use
I use a hothead or other air/fule torch. 191 26.75%
I use a single stage o2/fuel torch. 360 50.42%
I use a 2 stage torch with 2 posts. 91 12.75%
I use a 2 stage torch with 4 posts with a foot pedal. 43 6.02%
I use a 2 stage torch with 4 posts but no foot pedal. 44 6.16%
I use a 3 stage torch. 18 2.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-02-21, 10:46pm
Critter Mom

The torch was only used for about a week by my son when he was visiting. The foot controls haven't been used at all. I mentioned to my husband just today that I was thinking about selling the Mirage but he thinks I should hang onto it for a while. He's one of those "collectors" who never gets rid of anything, figures he may use it sometime down the road. Since my studio was a gift from him I guess I'll hang onto the big torch for a little longer...it'll probably take mentioning selling it a couple of more times before he decides it'd be a good idea too. After 30 years of marriage we know the routine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-03-01, 11:10am

Quote:
Yeah. I personally only know of a few people with a three stage torch. I'd love to hear from some people that use them.

One of these days I'm going to get me a Cobra or Python...
I'm rockin a delta mag, honestly i don't know if much bigger is really much better. the Python and cobra seem oversized, and i love going big. i can work boro at about 9" thick and have to wear a space suit while doing it with my delta mag what more could i ask for.

Old 2009-04-22, 5:24pm
I fart diamonds

I just got a 4-stud Phantom! (And a footpedal, too!)

Old 2009-04-23, 5:57pm
DSDWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
I just got a 4-stud Phantom! (And a footpedal, too!)
Right on!!!!!!

Old 2009-05-13, 6:11pm

Minor with tanked O2...looking to upgrade SOON.

I'm mostly using soft glass, would only like to ?play" with boro a bit in the future...Any suggestions out there... Preferrably no more than a Lynx

Duane
Old 2009-06-01, 7:50pm

I am using a Ace Hardware plumbers torch. I am just getting to this hobby. I bought a Meker burner, and am still waiting for it to ship.

http://www.labmiser.com/StoreFrontPr...=1&sfid=167854
&c=167678&i=239534341
Old 2009-06-01, 8:28pm

Knight Little Dragon 7

Greg
Old 2009-07-30, 5:17pm
Ambivitreous

See below. We LOVE our MegaMinors!

Rockin' 2 Nortel Red Maxes with Mega Minor topfires on natural gas & 6 EX-15s with my glass accomplice Lisa F-R
Old 2009-08-19, 5:16pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

Phantom 4 post with a foot pedal for me.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-08-23, 7:02pm
The Torch Be With You

Are you still holding onto the Mirage or are you in the market to sell it?

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my Cheetah....it's in excellent condition. Maybe 40 hours on it max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinCoquille View Post
The torch was only used for about a week by my son when he was visiting. The foot controls haven't been used at all. I mentioned to my husband just today that I was thinking about selling the Mirage but he thinks I should hang onto it for a while. He's one of those "collectors" who never gets rid of anything, figures he may use it sometime down the road. Since my studio was a gift from him I guess I'll hang onto the big torch for a little longer...it'll probably take mentioning selling it a couple of more times before he decides it'd be a good idea too. After 30 years of marriage we know the routine
Old 2009-10-01, 7:44pm
And silence is golden

HH here, but getting a cricket one of these days. Maybe one day, a lynx. Still in dream mode!
Old 2010-02-14, 11:03am

I can't re-vote! But I have a cricket now!! Aleta, you will LOVE the cricket!!!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-03-23, 4:33am
Enjoying Life

Default No Kobuki or Vipers?

After all this time I was hoping to see a GTT Kobuki or Viper.

Old 2010-07-22, 1:31pm
Bead Obsessed

Minor, cricket, scorpion, lynx and Phantom. I use the Lynx most followed by the scorpion because my son nabbed my Phantom and now I only get visitation.

Old 2010-08-23, 6:14pm
Playing with Fire!

My torch is a GTT Kobuki ... it is the best torch that I have ever used! The range of flames between the triple stages is incredible. The two outer stages are hooked up to a pair of locking foot pedals. With all stages going at once the flame is something close to a delta plus.

Here is a photo of it with all three stages fired up, but dialed almost all the way down. I've been using it for almost a year now, and doubt that I would ever need anything more in a torch.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2010-08-29, 9:07am

i use a HH torch but hopefully getting into something a bit more in the near future. Though having some issues with finding "how to pick the right torch" and all the other technical terms and what each torch can handle before I purchace.
Old 2010-08-30, 10:52pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Slawson View Post
My torch is a GTT Kobuki ... it is the best torch that I have ever used! The range of flames between the triple stages is incredible. The two outer stages are hooked up to a pair of locking foot pedals. With all stages going at once the flame is something close to a delta plus.

Here is a photo of it with all three stages fired up, but dialed almost all the way down. I've been using it for almost a year now, and doubt that I would ever need anything more in a torch.

I'd love one of these! Can't afford it right now, unfortunately.

Old 2010-09-14, 2:44pm

I am new to the site and eight months into learning glassworking (part time). I have been learning on a GTT hand torch (basically Lynx) and plan to get the GTT Mirage one day. For my first torch, I bought a smaller torch, a used Carlisle Hellcat, since a GTT Phantom was out of my budget right now. I am waiting for it to arrive as I type. From what I have read on this site, I should be happy with the Hellcat for any small to medium work I want to do. I am hoping between these 2 torches I should be able to do anything I want with glass, if and when I learn how too. There are so many different things to create, I really like this art form a lot and am very lucky I found a good friend in my teacher as well. I am glad I have taken the time to learn as much as I have about glass, beyond just antique vases and what they are worth. I look forward to what glass has in store for me in the future. Thanks for everyone who posts information here, it was nice to be able to check out all the different opinions and information before I bought a torch.
Old 2010-09-15, 9:41am
Now part of the Dark Side

I'm using a used Nortel Rocket, I think I've fired up the outer ring once or twice just to see what it does.

Ed,
How is your torch shelf supported?
Old 2011-01-29, 10:36am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Using a Kobuki with 2 section foot pedal; center ring on 2 concentrators most of the time. Love that torch
Old 2011-11-02, 8:11am
Practicing perfect

I'm using minor. Don't see a need to go bigger, yet.... LOL!

I also own a hot head (somewhere) but rarely use it anymore.

Old 2012-03-22, 11:29am

Love my GTT Scorpion!
Old 2012-10-14, 10:02am
Noooobie!

I use a Nortel Minor and also have a hothead, but have never used it.
Old 2012-10-25, 6:41am

I wish I had one of those Delta's lol
Old 2012-10-25, 6:51am
GLASS ADDICT

I'm using a HH and am waiting for a mini 15 from jack so I can graduate to a Bethlehem Alpha my wife bought me
Old 2022-01-26, 7:56pm

Default Herbie

I first used a Herbie in 1971. They were first made in the 1960’s?? & designed for scientific glass blowing, when you need to constantly change flame size (without oxy-gas ratio, thus flame temp is constant).
After a very long break from glass (& retirement), I wanted to re-start lampworking as a hobby, I know any other torch would be frustrating (to adjust both oxy & gas). It took 5 years to find a second hand one, it was in a very bad condition.

The Herbie has only 3 knobs: oxygen – to adjust from a normal flame to soft, reducing & flame annealing.
Air – I only use when working soft glass.
Flame size – this works an internal cam system, which adjust 6 needle valves to operate the 3 stage burner.

I had to re-condition several needle valves & then convert factory settings from natural gas to propane (fortunately I am an instrument engineer with experience on similar equipment, but it still took 2-3 months). My Herbie has 35mm diameter head, it goes from a needle flame (about 2 dia x 40mm long ie 0.08” x 1.5”) to a large flame (45 dia x 400mm ie 1.5” x 15”). Have used it now for 4 years, but still cannot handle the radiant heat of the big flame!!!

Herbies are designed to run at specific gas & oxy pressures – you need good quality gas & oxy regulators. One limitation is to use an oxidizing flame – you can trick Herbie by increasing the oxy pressure (but flame size adjustment is not as good – after oxidizing you need to reset the oxy regulator).

If you have the opportunity to try a Herbie, it will become you favourite torch. If you can obtain a second-hand Herbie, make shore all the flame adjustment work & it is setup for you gas (NG or propane).

Peter