No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-04, 3:51pm
Noobie

Default ? about annealing

Hi, I just bought a 8m torch and got a kiln for dirt cheap...at what temp should I anneal beads? Its a digital and Im working with coe 104...any input or suggestions would be auesome...I did order a manual for the kiln so that will be arriving in about a week, but Im hoping someone can let me know..Im a little excited about doing a couple of test runs...thanx
Old 2006-12-04, 4:30pm
Missing presumed fed

The annealing temperature for Effetre/Moretti is a range of 940 to 968. I anneal at 968. The rule of thumb that I was taught was 15 minutes at annealing temperature for every 1/4 inch thickness of the bead. If your kiln holds the temperature well (doesn't go over annealing temperature) you don't need to worry about soaking too long, so judge your annealing time according to your largest bead. If you're putting beads in the kiln straight from the torch, rather than batch annealing, calculate your annealing time from the time that your last bead goes into the kiln (unless you put a big honking bead into the kiln and then made a little bitty one right away -- you have to make sure your big honking one had enough time, too). After your beads have had their soak at the annealing temperature, they need to cool down slowly to the strain point, which is 840 for Effetre/Moretti. I have my kiln programmed to take 2 hours to go from 968 to 800 or so, then it shuts off and cools the rest of the way by itself.

If you're batch annealing (putting cold beads into the kiln), you need to ramp the temperature up slowly, too. I almost never batch anneal, so I'm not all that comfortable recommending a ramp-up speed. It will depend on the size of your beads, too. I'm sure someone else will jump in with a suggestion.
Old 2006-12-04, 5:06pm
Noobie

Thanks so much!